Arizona Presents Super Bowl Bid

Jim O

Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1139

Arizona Presents Super Bowl Bid

The Arizona Super Bowl bid committee presented its pitch to host the 2008 Super Bowl at the new multipurpose stadium in Glendale on Tuesday, March 25 at the NFL owners meetings.

Super Bowl Host Committee Chairman Gregg Holmes, Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs and Arizona’s Governor Janet Napolitano led the presentation which packaged its theme around seven principles.

“Those seven things were capacity, hospitality, amenities, climate, unity, desire and stadium,” shared Holmes shortly following the presentation. “You put those seven things together and you have a world-class experience that collectively everyone in that room will enjoy in 2008.”

A 4-minute video voiced over by Hugh Downs was also included in the committee’s presentation to help reinforce the positive attributes Arizona has to offer.

“I think collectively we did an outstanding job,” offered Holmes. “You would be extremely proud of what was presented in there and the image that we left NFL owners with. This is a world-class community and at a time when we all struggle for positive things, you have to feel very, very good about the message that we sent, the capabilities that we delivered and certainly the capacity we have to put on a world-class event.”

“We have a good story to tell in Arizona,” added Governor Napolitano. “We have a good story to tell the NFL. We can offer a world-class sporting event here and I think we have a good chance of getting this bid.”

Arizona hosted the Super Bowl in 1996 at Sun Devil Stadium, but the NFL was not inclined to return to that site given the limited seat capacity. With the new state-of –the-art stadium in Glendale secured, Arizona has become attractive once again to NFL owners.

No decision will be made until at least October and possibly not even until March of 2004, but Vice President and General Counsel Michael Bidwill is very optimistic.

“This is a process that a number of different cities are interested in, but we are very, very hopeful that it will be successful in October,” stated Bidwill. “I thought it was a great presentation that was made today.”

New York and Washington are two cities that are also interested in making bids and Bidwill expects that the process will entail continual lobbying over the next few months.

“My father (William Bidwill) and I will be having conversations with a number of different folks over the upcoming months at the various meetings,” predicted Bidwill. “We both serve on committees of the league and we will surely be cornering people and having conversations asking for their support.”

Attachments

• bowlbid.jpg
    bowlbid.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 153

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude, what is your avatar? Looks like a maggot crawling across the desert!

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
HAHA Ryan, I think thats the stadium design! Maybe with the copper sides though.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The stadium design looked cooler and more together on TV than it did via the Internet.

The 3D Internet image makes the stadium look like it's put together with huge amounts of duct tape.

Nice effort on the part of the Cards - to give cyber-fans something to look at. But, based what I saw on TV, the actual stadium when completed, figures to look far better than the Internet version.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson