Arizona Hoops 2022-2023

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap I'll take the win but it looks like Jaylen Clark may have popped his achilles. He stepped on someone's foot, then played on it, got a steal and layup and just stayed down and had to be helped to the back room. Came back on crutches with a boot so my guess is his season is over.

Whatever is wrong with Ballo seems to still be wrong he's not nearly as active as he used to be. UCLA just swarmed Tubelis in the 2nd half and Ballo didn't really do much about it.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Crap I'll take the win but it looks like Jaylen Clark may have popped his achilles. He stepped on someone's foot, then played on it, got a steal and layup and just stayed down and had to be helped to the back room. Came back on crutches with a boot so my guess is his season is over.

Whatever is wrong with Ballo seems to still be wrong he's not nearly as active as he used to be. UCLA just swarmed Tubelis in the 2nd half and Ballo didn't really do much about it.
Ever since his illness, Ballo hasn’t looked right. His engagement has been inconsistent at best.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since his illness, Ballo hasn’t looked right. His engagement has been inconsistent at best.

Yeah he has to be sick or something just not the same guy.

Man I wish we'd gotten Boswell he was your 2nd best player last night that kid is good.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bloody Hell Ramey, Henderson 3-17 with seven turnovers

Something was up with Ramey last night, UCLA recruited him out of HS I remember I'm wondering if we also tried to get him as a transfer and there was some bad blood or something. Very early in the game UCLA was getting ready to inbound under our basket and the cameras showed it happen, Ramey walked past Jaquez and just intentionally drilled him with a left shoulder, Jaime kind of looked at him and just shook his head. Then a couple of minutes later you had the play where Ballo and Bona went down, they reviewed for a flagrant and when we came back they told us it was a double technical, on Ramey and Clark. They never showed us what happened but there had to be some issue between Ramey and UCLA.

Sounds like Clark is out for the year so even if UCLA were able to win the P-12 tourney, we may see our seed dropped since we're missing him

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Something was up with Ramey last night, UCLA recruited him out of HS I remember I'm wondering if we also tried to get him as a transfer and there was some bad blood or something. Very early in the game UCLA was getting ready to inbound under our basket and the cameras showed it happen, Ramey walked past Jaquez and just intentionally drilled him with a left shoulder, Jaime kind of looked at him and just shook his head. Then a couple of minutes later you had the play where Ballo and Bona went down, they reviewed for a flagrant and when we came back they told us it was a double technical, on Ramey and Clark. They never showed us what happened but there had to be some issue between Ramey and UCLA.

Sounds like Clark is out for the year so even if UCLA were able to win the P-12 tourney, we may see our seed dropped since we're missing him
Tough about Clark….

UCLA is just tougher than AZ. It’s a bigger gap than the talent gap, at least if Ballo were right. I think Terry leaving really killed our chances at being a championship contender. He brought everything AZ is lacking.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough about Clark….

UCLA is just tougher than AZ. It’s a bigger gap than the talent gap, at least if Ballo were right. I think Terry leaving really killed our chances at being a championship contender. He brought everything AZ is lacking.

The surprise to me and lots of UCLA fans was we didn't slow the game down, we played at your pace. We scored 82 and it wasn't really due to good shooting we were down 11-2 before we even got going and shot terribly the first 10 minutes. I had expected us to slow the pace down and try and grind but I think Mick realized UA has a short rotation and that maybe some of the guys(Ballo) aren't 100% so he decided to push a bit and wear them down. Definitely worked mid 2nd half it seemed like UA had no legs at all. THe other surprise was outrebounding Arizona while playing so much of the game without Bona and often with Jaquez at the 5.

Seems like suddenly everyone is hurt, Clark, Ballo, USC has Iwuchukwu out with a bad back and Peterson has a bad back too. Colorado won't have Simpson for the conf tourney due to Mono. Utah has injuries too. THe loss won't hurt UA's seeding at all as lots of top 10 teams lost and losing to a top 4 team at home has no impact.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough about Clark….

I don't know that I agree. Certainly this current version of two teams falls in the Bruins favor but the Cats were so much better when Ballo was a force. Maybe the edge would still go to UCLA if Ballo was the player we saw early in the year but it would be no more than a slight edge if at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that I agree. Certainly this current version of two teams falls in the Bruins favor but the Cats were so much better when Ballo was a force. Maybe the edge would still go to UCLA if Ballo was the player we saw early in the year but it would be no more than a slight edge if at all.

Yeah at one point in the game Walton said UA has no rim protection and Ballo is not a guy who's going to play above the rim and I was laughing. But there is definitely something wrong with him, he has not had more than 1 block in any of his last 10 games, and has 5 total blocks in his last 10 games. The prior 10 games he had 14 blocks, with at least 2 in 5 of those games, and 9 of those 10 games were P-12 games.

They've said he was in the hospital for something, I don't know what, but it's pretty clear he's not the same guy after.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose