Arizona Diamondbacks @ Minnesota Twins series thread. 08/04/23-08/06/23

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course Sewald's first blown save. On a day when our starter throws a gem, and we set a franchise record of 8 steals in a game......
Yep. We had 11 hits, 6 reached on walks, 8 steals, a home run, two doubles and scored a grand total of 3 runs. That's hard to do.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Has Torey resigned or been fired yet?
He has such a loser persona - dude should be coaching in a league where they hand out participation trophies. His line-ups are little league level. Pham and Peterson SUUUUCK. WTF is Kelly still playing? The pitching going south coincided with his return behind the plate. I was screaming for Walker to be traded at deadline with his value never being higher. I respect his defense but dude wets the bed with a guy on 3rd and less than 2 outs. Gurriel needs to be gone also, Fletcher should be playing.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Has Torey resigned or been fired yet?
They just extended him this year. How bad would it look to fire a guy you just extended? Just an embarrassing end to the season. Hazen is on the hot seat in my opinion but the only saving grace for him is he has not gutted the farm so the future is still bright and ARZ wasn't supposed to be a success this year especially when you look at the lack of major acquisitions in the offseason.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
They just extended him this year. How bad would it look to fire a guy you just extended? Just an embarrassing end to the season. Hazen is on the hot seat in my opinion but the only saving grace for him is he has not gutted the farm so the future is still bright and ARZ wasn't supposed to be a success this year especially when you look at the lack of major acquisitions in the offseason.
Would it look any worse than going from 1st to 4th in a little over a month?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would it look any worse than going from 1st to 4th in a little over a month?
To quote Stone Cold Steve Austin, "Ohh hell yeah!" Hazen is going to look like a fool prematurely extending a guy who managed this epic collapse if he fires him. Plus, they are now going to have to pay him for how ever long the extension is.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Let Michael Bidwill come in and drop the hammer on the DBacks. He knows a thing or two about wasting money on bad hires and bad fires.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree. The thought at the beginning of the season, was the Dbacks were going to be a cellar dwelling team. Everyone, the coach, the GM, the Owner, the guys on Bally's, all were preaching patience this year. They were literally waving the white flag before the season even started. Then, pleasant surprise, this team played their A$$es off!

So I am assuming they extended the manager thinking it would be a wasted season anyway, and he was being given a pass for this season. I am sure they directed him to develop young talent. So in one way it would be an embarrassment. On the other hand, this team is at a point they weren't expecting for a couple;e seasons. Maybe it is time to move towards a manager better suited for this point in the team's development?

Probably won't happen anyway.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. The thought at the beginning of the season, was the Dbacks were going to be a cellar dwelling team. Everyone, the coach, the GM, the Owner, the guys on Bally's, all were preaching patience this year. They were literally waving the white flag before the season even started. Then, pleasant surprise, this team played their A$$es off!

So I am assuming they extended the manager thinking it would be a wasted season anyway, and he was being given a pass for this season. I am sure they directed him to develop young talent. So in one way it would be an embarrassment. On the other hand, this team is at a point they weren't expecting for a couple;e seasons. Maybe it is time to move towards a manager better suited for this point in the team's development?

Probably won't happen anyway.
You have a point, maybe Torey was getting extended this season regardless. It seems the problem with Lovullo is he struggles under pressure. This slide this team has been on doesn't happen to teams like the Dodgers, Braves, Astros and other well managed teams. When there is no pressure Torey would be the perfect guy to develop youngsters but this team is on the cusp of contending if 1) The owner spends damn money 2) Hazen makes moves in a timely manner & 3) You have a manager that knows how to make adjustments when his team in a slump.

If ARZ is not interested in contending next year then keep Torey but if for some strange reason we spend on some pieces in FA then we need a better manager.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kliff getting canned gave me legit euphoria but I wouldn’t find any euphoria in Torey getting fired. With that said he has to go. He’s in that Monty class of a good guy that just can’t get the job done.

Hazen is on the thinnest of ice next year.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Hazen and Torey are both skating away on the thin ice of a new day. If the Dodgers sweep the DBacks at home, I have to think that Torey and Hazen are gone.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Today Gambo said both are safe this year because it was supposed to be a lost season anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson