Any Dream Theater Fans Here?

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
My step bro had the album Train Of Thought and it's amazing. I've been listening to a few others

A Change in Seasons

along with others but this is by far the best i've heard
As I Am
This Dying Soul
Endless Sacrifice
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream Of Consciousness
In The Name Of God

So many good songs. Does anyone else think an album by them is better? Or like any other prog bands?

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I LOVED THERE FIRST ALBUM.THEY HAD(I THINK)BUT THE SONG WAS LIKE 8 MINUTES LONG.IT ROCKED.IT WAS THE BEST SONG TO A LAP DANCE.(THATS WHAT MY FRIEND TOLD ME) :rolleyes: I WISH I KNEW THE NAME OF THAT SONG.PLEASE LET ME KNOW,MY FRIEND WANTS TO GET ANOTHER LAP DANCE :rolleyes:

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I believe it's Vince56 on this board that is a HUGE fan of Dream Theater. I am a fan of DT as well...it's great to see a band where the players are complete masters of their instruments.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
DT IS TEH RAWK!!!!!1!1!!1!!!!!!1
Seriosuly, DT kicks ass. Train Of Thought was a whole 'notha level!

The best DT is still M2: SFAM....

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brandon_Webb said:
So many good songs. Does anyone else think an album by them is better? Or like any other prog bands?

Go get DT's entire back catalog.

1989 When Dream and Day Unite - great album if you like Rush (note: NOT a modern sound, & a bad vocalist)
1992 Images and Words - defined the Progressive Metal genre
1994 Awake - The single greatest heavy metal album of all time (IMO of course)
1995 - you've already got Change of seasons. Best song ever written.
1998 Falling Into Infinity - more suble and subdued, clearer and lighter songs but no less powerful. This is my 2nd fav disc of theirs right behind Awake
1999/2000 Metropolis pt 2., Scenes from a Memory - Their rock opera. Great, twisted storyline and some really heavy dark music.
2002 6 degrees of inner turbulence - my least favorite disc of theirs. Arguably their heaviest disc, but the songwriting was really lacking compared to their earlier efforts.

Their new album is really good.

If you want more info on them, check out dreamtheater.net or johnpetrucci.com.

If you're just getting into prog, try these bands out:

Symphony X - neoclassical progressive metal (maybe the closest to Dream Theater of all the bands out there)

Stratovarius - Finnish power/prog band. Check out Episode or Destiny. Good discs, lots of double bass drumming. Poor vocalist can sometimes kill it, tho.

Savatage - basic metal band, but similiar sound and lyrical content to Dream Theater. Check out Dead Winter Dead or Wake of Magellan.

Fates Warning - This band has been around forever. I got to open for them last year. Nice guys. They've toured with Dream Theater several times. Their best works IMO are Parallels and A Pleasant Shade of Gray. A Pleasant Shade of Gray is a 50 minute song, broken down into 12 or 14 parts.

Other progressive notables I don't have more time to go into right now:

Spocks Beard
Steve Vai
Liquid Tension Experiment (side project including 3 members of Dream Theater and Tony Levin)
Platypus
Planet X
Derek Sherinian

If you like progressive metal, check out my site too, I'm a prog guitarist... http://www.vincelupone.com

Good to see someone getting turned on to DT. They're awesome.

Gotta love the metal! :band:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandon_Webb

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a ton on the writeup

Yeah, I listened to my step bro's CD of them and John is the greatest drummer...ever. Then my friend online was talking to me about them and told me to download The Glass Prison and it blew me away.

Also on dream theater I got Awake but haven't listened to it yet (Just borrowed it from step bro) I have heard really really good things about Scenes from a Memory

Here are some songs i have downloaded from other prog bands that my friend recomended

Stratovarious (like 8-10 songs or so) Black Diamond is really cool
Liquid Tension Experiment (Around 6 Songs)
Symphony X (only around 2 songs)
Sinergy (1)
Pain Of Salvation (a few)
Helloween (4)

Most are pretty good.

Also i'll be checking out your site a little later

(Sorry for the choppyness of it Posting as things came to mind)

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
They'd be soooooo much better if they pulled a Blue Man Group and had different singers sing on the songs. I HATE the hair metal vocals- I can't help thinking Mark Slaughter meets King Diamond.

The actual band is untouchable.

I heard that the snare drum is dubbed in on another track after the drum track has been laid, hence making their drummer sound super talented. I don't know if that is true, it might just be some jealous guy making up that rumor.

Last edited:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oran said:
They'd be soooooo much better if they pulled a Blue Man Group and had different singers sing on the songs. I HATE the hair metal vocals- I can't help thinking Mark Slaughter meets King Diamond.

That's unfortunately how a lot of people feel about their music. I love Labrie's vocals. Especially on Images and Words and FII.

Oran said:
The actual band is untouchable.

Ditto.

Oran said:
I heard that the snare drum is dubbed in on another track after the drum track has been laid, hence making their drummer sound super talented. I don't know if that is true, it might just be some jealous guy making up that rumor.

1. Complete lie
2. pasting in another snare drum wouldn't do anything. Once again, complete lie. Go see them play, they're playing Mesa Ampitheater next month. Mike Portnoy is a badass drummer. He's won like 10 or 11 straight drummer of the year awards in Modern Drummer magazine, and he's got an endorsement for every piece of gear he has, right down to his footpedals and sticks.

Same goes for all those guys. Ibanez guitars lost Petrucci a few years ago to Ernie Ball (Van Halen, Steve Morse) & he's now the first name endorsed on the back of a pack of Ernie Ball strings. Their keyboardist, Jordan Rudess, went to Juliard at age 9. :shock:

yeah. Age 9.

Brandon_Webb said:
Dayum...I listened to the second MP3 you had up at your site..Very very good...

Thanks, glad you liked it. That seems to be the favorite track so far :) Hopefully I'll get the damn album done here soon (only 2 more songs left to record).

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DT is a way cool prog band but they tend to be too technical sans emotion at times. They are definitely towards the top of my list of prog though.

Other really good prog bands is early queensryche (anything from Promise Land and before is excellent - except for The Warning). Spock's Beard is awesome. My favorite prog band right now is Porcupine Tree.

If you like Dream Theater - give Mullmuzzler a listen. It features James LaBrie (from DT) on lead vox. No way is it my favorite album, but it is decent.

An okay prog band (okay because I don't care for them, but a lot of my friends who listen to it love this band) is O.S.I. (Office Of Strategic Intelligence). This band is made up of Jim Matheos (Fates Warning - love that band), Kevin Moore (Chroma Key and ex-DT member), Mike Portnoy (DT and Transatlantic) along with Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Sean Malone (Gordian Knot).

A few of other bands that I must mention and recommend are Dead Soul Tribe (brilliant stuff), Ty Tabor, The Jelly Jam, and The Flower Kings. I've been recommended, but have yet to listen to or purchase the following bands: Pallas, Planet X, Symphony X and Vanden Plas.

Shawn

OP
OP
Brandon_Webb

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
Listening to Scenes from a Memory Finally! So far it's excellent i really like it. I'm on track 6.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn