Any comic book fans?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there are some of you out there, just curious how many of you still buy on a regular basis?

I found this awesome site a week or so ago called HeavyInk.com. All comic books are 20% off and come with free shipping. You subscribe just like you would do with a box at your comic book store.

Anyways, it's also a social network kind of deal and thus adds a lot of fun to the whole thing.

Check it out if you are into this kind of thing: http://www.heavyink.com

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I used to collect a lot of different titles and was a frequent visitor to comic book stores. I don't buy on a regular basis anymore, when I find the time I do read them when I am at the store (Barnes & Noble and Hastings).

I'm still a sucker for comic book movies though.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't a thread about titles, but I don't often have an outlet for this kind of stuff, so here goes:

• Superman has been really good lately. Geof Johns is the master of making what's old new again.
  • Is Garth Ennis off of Punisher for the foreseeable future, or is he just taking a break. Every issue with him on that title is gold, IMO. I hope he's back soon.
  • Fables reached it's natural conclusion ... and kept on truckin'. I'm glad to see it didn't end because it's one of my favorite and, IMO, most original books out there. I just hope they don't keep it going because it makes money, but rather because Willingham still has good stories to tell. So far it's been good after the war concluded, so fingers crossed.
  • Fear Agent is the best title no one is reading....hell, it might be the best book out there today, IMO. The problem is that it's always late so the schedule is hell on issue readers (which I am not; I've been reading it in trade form).
  • Spider-Man has been surprisingly good since the controversial Brand New Day "event." And, it's 3 times a month, which rocks. I was skeptical at first because it would be really easy to start cranking out crap, but they've been keeping it fresh by rotating creative teams in 3-arc stories. I think Marvel has finally realized that SM is their cash-cow and to keep it that way they need to stick with what works and not F with it.
  • In other news, I'm very ready for The Hulk and Captain America to return to their respective flagship titles. Enough with the impostors.

And, back on topic: my comic book store recently closed so I'm buying from an online service, too. I use ImpulseCreations.com. So far I'm happy with it. If you're looking for trade paperbacks online, I've not seen any deeper discounts than at instocktrades.com.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't a thread about titles, but I don't often have an outlet for this kind of stuff, so here goes:

• Superman has been really good lately. Geof Johns is the master of making what's old new again.
  • Is Garth Ennis off of Punisher for the foreseeable future, or is he just taking a break. Every issue with him on that title is gold, IMO. I hope he's back soon.
  • Fables reached it's natural conclusion ... and kept on truckin'. I'm glad to see it didn't end because it's one of my favorite and, IMO, most original books out there. I just hope they don't keep it going because it makes money, but rather because Willingham still has good stories to tell. So far it's been good after the war concluded, so fingers crossed.
  • Fear Agent is the best title no one is reading....hell, it might be the best book out there today, IMO. The problem is that it's always late so the schedule is hell on issue readers (which I am not; I've been reading it in trade form).
  • Spider-Man has been surprisingly good since the controversial Brand New Day "event." And, it's 3 times a month, which rocks. I was skeptical at first because it would be really easy to start cranking out crap, but they've been keeping it fresh by rotating creative teams in 3-arc stories. I think Marvel has finally realized that SM is their cash-cow and to keep it that way they need to stick with what works and not F with it.
  • In other news, I'm very ready for The Hulk and Captain America to return to their respective flagship titles. Enough with the impostors.

And, back on topic: my comic book store recently closed so I'm buying from an online service, too. I use ImpulseCreations.com. So far I'm happy with it. If you're looking for trade paperbacks online, I've not seen any deeper discounts than at instocktrades.com.

Pariah...does Impulse do free shipping? Either way, I compared it with Heavy Ink and HI is cheaper, plus the free shipping. It's also a social network, so it's kind of fun to get to know everyone else, find new stuff to read, etc.

Agree with you on Superman and Fear Agent...and I'm about to get into the Spider-Man stuff, starting with Brand New Day I think.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah...does Impulse do free shipping? Either way, I compared it with Heavy Ink and HI is cheaper, plus the free shipping.

It's also a social network, so it's kind of fun to get to know everyone else, find new stuff to read, etc.
I'll check it out, but I probably won't switch if it's just a few bucks. Too much hassle.

Without wallking into a shop and seeing what's on the shelves does make it challenging to find new stuff. I listen to the ifanboy podcast and that's where I usually hear about different titles. That's what turned me on to Fear Agent.

...and I'm about to get into the Spider-Man stuff, starting with Brand New Day I think.
I'd be interested to hear what you think. I like that they stripped him down to what made him so popular in the first place, a guy who struggles in his personal life and rocks in his hero life.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll check it out, but I probably won't switch if it's just a few bucks. Too much hassle.

Without wallking into a shop and seeing what's on the shelves does make it challenging to find new stuff. I listen to the ifanboy podcast and that's where I usually hear about different titles. That's what turned me on to Fear Agent.

I'd be interested to hear what you think. I like that they stripped him down to what made him so popular in the first place, a guy who struggles in his personal life and rocks in his hero life.

Well, Heavy Ink's social aspect really helps you see what others are reading, you can see how many people (and who) are subscribed to certain titles...you can make your own lists, etc. The forums are great for talking about upcoming stuff.

They also have a New tab which shows solicitations a few months ahead, so you can always see the new stuff.

I'm loving it so far.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I switched after all. It was a pain in the rear, though! :)

Thanks for the tip.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm far too Monkish to order my comics through an online source. I've got to go to the brick and mortar store and inspect the spacing of the staples, verify that none of the corners are bent or ripped, etc. :|

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I switched after all. It was a pain in the rear, though! :)

Thanks for the tip.

You are Jason on there right? I added you as a friend...

Your avatar will show up eventually if you add one.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm far too Monkish to order my comics through an online source. I've got to go to the brick and mortar store and inspect the spacing of the staples, verify that none of the corners are bent or ripped, etc. :|

I don't care as much I guess...if I have a feeling something is going to be awesome, I'll go find a good one at a store, otherewise, these are good.

The first two I received were immaculate...the packaging pretty dang good.

Here:

Attachments

• DSCF0103.jpg
    DSCF0103.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 40

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;)

...and, yeah, I'm Jason. ...but I don't see you on my friends page?

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ut how do you know I didn't mean "rand." You're not the oss of me.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ut how do you know I didn't mean "rand." You're not the oss of me.

:lmao:

I was hoping you'd repost it so I could go off on some geek tangent or something...

Upcoming comic series ...

Iron Fist: Rand New Day

:D

(Probably need to be a comic geek to see any humor in that)