Another Example of the Ignorance of National Media's Cards Coverage

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6324257

Arizona Cardinals
by Jay Glazer
CBS Sportsline

Arizona can make all the PR signings they so choose. But if they are unable to upgrade through the draft they will squander the efforts of the one of the league's most underrated motivators in coach Dave McGinnis. They'll need another Leonard Davis or David Boston rather than an Andre Wadsworth or Thomas Jones in this year's first round in order to avoid a continuance of the Bidwill curse.

Needs: CB, WR, return man, DE, DT, QB

The Cardinals signed Jeff Blake to replace Jake The Snake but he may not have read the media guide before choosing to hit the desert. Blake will be throwing to receivers named Jason McAddley, Bryan Gilmore, Kevin Kasper and Nate Poole. Heck, they may as well run the wishbone at this point.

Defensively, even with the first-round signing of Wendell Bryant and a healthier Kyle Vanden Bosch, the Cards are in serious need of an upgrade on the defensive front. However, they can address that need in a latter round.

At corner, the team has an underachieving Duane Starks and is in dire need of an upgrade to that position, despite the solid prospect of David Barrett.

"We have needs at receiver, address the pass rush and strengthen the secondary," said McGinnis. "Remember, you can never have too many good cover people in this league with what offenses are doing with their sets. At receiver, we don't want to just draft numbers for the sake of it but out of eight picks you'd hope to be able to get two and a very good return man."

The Cards also need a quarterback prospect for the future at some point in the draft to eventually battle with Josh McCown.

When Sunday ends and Mr. Irrelevant has found his relevance:

Arizona State DE Terrell Suggs has had success rushing the passer and the Cards were not scared off by poor 40 times but the team has more pressing needs. If CB Terence Newman somehow falls to them, he's another man worth overlooking concerns and grabbing, although the Cards have yet to make their final injury assessments. Even a corner such as Marcus Trufant might be worth the early gamble because, like Newman, he fills the need for a return threat and instantly upgrades the secondary. Miami WR Andre Johnson would be a terrific present for the new quarterback and the Cards love his potential.

Their offense is actually in pretty solid shape personnel-wise aside from the wideout position. They upgraded at fullback, have a good young offensive line highlighted by the NFL's top up-and-comer in Davis, have solid depth at RB and a good pass-catching tight end. Still, they must come out of this draft with at least two receivers who can immediately provide some promise.

OP
OP
az643dp

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
Originally posted by az643dp
Arizona State DE Terrell Suggs has had success rushing the passer and the Cards were not scared off by poor 40 times but the team has more pressing needs.

The Cardinals have more pressing needs than a pass rush?

That's bull you-know-what...smell it, don't eat it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually other than the pass rush statement I cant say I disagree about much else!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Actually other than the pass rush statement I cant say I disagree about much else!

I agree Shane. That's actually a pretty good writeup.

gnomepete

Registered
Reaction score
I also think he goes too far on the WR corps. I realize that we need some help there, but I'm not as afraid as many seem to be. Maybe it's cause I'm a little whack, but I tend to think that we have quite a bit of WR coaching talent here to help too.

Pete

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard