Andy Murray glad to see US Open taking health concerns seriously as he is told off for not...

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy Murray had to be ticked off by United States Tennis Association staff this week, he revealed on Friday, after forgetting to put his mask back on at the end of a practice session at Flushing Meadows. But rather than bemoaning the incident, Murray considered it a positive sign, demonstrating the tight protocols being observed within the USTA’s bio-secure tennis bubble. “Yesterday I finished practice and walked off the court,” explained Murray, who will play Frances Tiafoe at around 8pm (BST) on Saturday. “I had probably taken 10 or 15 steps before one of the ladies came up to me, asking if I had a mask and reminding me to put it on. Which I had forgotten but there are people around making sure we are not making too many mistakes.” Murray also divulged that he had begun his stay in America – which began on Aug 12 – in a private house in Greenwich Village. But once the Western & Southern Open drew closer, he moved into the tournament hotel in Long Island with everybody else. Asked whether he had considered emulating Serena Williams by staying privately throughout the next few weeks – which will include the US Open – Murray replied: “I spoke about it but the costs were astronomical. I went for the bubble and it's nice. They have done a good job at the hotel. There are games and arcades which I enjoy, I am still a bit of a child in that respect.

Continue reading...