Amare: "Anthony And Parker Are Ready To Join Me"

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amar'e Stoudemire got a large dose of New York Saturday night, taking in a Broadway show, watching incredulously as two reporters snuck into the theater and were chased out by the NYPD, and claiming that two other NBA superstars are ready to join him in a Knicks uniform if he decides to sign here.
Wearing a Yankees cap and leaning against a building on Eighth Ave., as he waited for his limo to pick him up from the musical "Rock of Ages," the free-agent forward confirmed that he will be meeting with the Knicks Monday, possibly to make a deal.
Then he dropped a bombshell that seemed too good to be true:
"I've talked to Carmelo Anthony that he needs to come out here," Stoudemire said. "I've talked to Tony Parker. Both guys are ready to join me if I decide to come here. So we will see if we can work it out."
Asked about playing with. LeBron James, the 6-10 Stoudemire smiled and said, "That would be great," then headed to his white stretch limo.
Stoudemire's agent, Happy Walters, by his side for the show and on Eighth Ave., as his client was mobbed by fans, was asked if he believes Stoudemire will be a Knick after Monday's meeting. Walters smiled and, in full stride down 47th St., replied: "Yes, I mean we are here aren't we? Hopefully it goes well (Monday). We are here in New York, aren't we?"
The agent didn't say whether they plan to meet with any other teams or how long they would be in town.
Stoudemire plans to be in the Bronx Sunday to see the Yankees against the Blue Jays. He called Derek Jeter his favorite player and labeled Joba Chamberlain a close friend.
"I love New York, it's a great city," Stoudemire said, his expression unchanging. Asked if he plans on becoming a Knick, he said, "It's possible."
The 27-year-old then was asked what he would bring to the Knicks' depleted roster.
"We'll just have to wait and see," he muttered, staring out into a sea of fans passing by and calling his name.
He certainly sounded as if he's ready to become a Knick, saying of the team, "It's one of the most historic franchises in NBA history. It's a beautiful city. Madison Square Garden is definitely one of the most intriguing places to play. So they definitely have a few great points on their side."
Stoudemire equivocated when he was asked whether he was disappointed by not returning to Phoenix.
"The organization of Phoenix has been great my whole career," Stoudemire said. "I left my stamp on that organization as far as what we were able to accomplish. It was a great ride. So on to the next one."
But will he be riding with another All-Star or will he be riding the Knick express alone? A source told the Daily News that Anthony, who becomes a free agent in 2011, probably will sign a three-year extension to stay in Denver. The Daily News also reported earlier that Parker's name has been linked with the Knicks. Was Stoudemire being overly optimistic when he floated the names of Parker and Anthony potentially joining him in New York? Or was he making promises he can't keep?
What is Amare smoking? Maybe too much of NYC? Even if it is true, i doubt the other guys wants him shooting off his mouth like that.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Love the "if I come out here" part. Carmello is from Brooklyn and won the NCAA tournament with Syracuse. Parker has three NBA championship
rings. I know it's just the way he's phrasing it, but it sounds a little ridiculous.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I hate this guy. His ego would be perfect in NY, hopefully he tears his knee up in a meaningless training game and takes his paycheck for the next 5 years. Tony Parker is nowhere near a passer Nash is so good luck to him getting easy feeds for layups and dunks.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
"The organization of Phoenix has been great my whole career," Stoudemire said. "I left my stamp on that organization as far as what we were able to accomplish. It was a great ride. So on to the next one."

You mean the stamp of getting 3 assists in 6 games in the WCF? Or the stamp of calling Odom "lucky" and consequently getting molested by him on the boards. Nash is the Suns, this guy was just a component.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

You mean the stamp of getting 3 assists in 6 games in the WCF? Or the stamp of calling Odom "lucky" and consequently getting molested by him on the boards. Nash is the Suns, this guy was just a component.

You are annoying. What he said is true. He was here for 8 years and has been a great player for us.

The Lakers have the best frontcourt in the NBA, the Suns played exclusively zone defense and nobody in the world would expect Amare to get assists in this offense when Nash is controlling the ball 90% of the time.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I posted this on another thread, but yeah it sounds ridiculous. Who is Chris Broussard? A lot of his analysis of free agency sounds like guessing and that he has no idea what is happening. He stated that Tony Parker wants out of SA, no one has reported anything about Parker not wanting to be there. Honestly I think he saw Amare's comment and thought hey maybe Tony doesn't want to be there. He mentions a ridiculous statement that "SA could trade Parker for David Lee", yeah and leave SA with only George Hill at the PG spot? Besides why would they want Lee when they will try and develop DeJuan Blair and have the possibility of Tiago Splitter, the top rated European C joining them this year.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
You are annoying. What he said is true. He was here for 8 years and has been a great player for us.

The Lakers have the best frontcourt in the NBA, the Suns played exclusively zone defense and nobody in the world would expect Amare to get assists in this offense when Nash is controlling the ball 90% of the time.

:lol: I knew you'd come out to defend. He was a good player for us. Too bad he isn't a championship type player as proven in the playoffs this year when his +/- was bad enough to warrant benching him.

And you possibly can't be serious when you are defending Amare for only getting 3 assists in 6 games, along with truly cow-dung rebounding. With the amount of shooters on the Suns and the perimeter weapons, I think any PF can get more than 3 assists in 6 games. Let's not even get started on the rebounding. He's a fake-ass max player who wants money but can't grab more than 4 rebounds in a crucial game.. Of course when you try to drive it in over 3 guys and come up empty everytime without ever thinking of finding the open man its hard to get assists.

Nash is the Suns, Amare have fun in NY, let your ego run wild. I can bet in 2 years we will all be relieved we aren't paying him max money...

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know. I really have trouble defending Amare's play throughout this year's playoffs. However, he has been a great player for us and although Nash helped him it goes both ways. I'm going to miss the guy but I won't miss his me, me, me comments. He's no Lebron but I think he'll prove to be worth the max if he survives his contract. It's a risk NY can and has to take but one we just can't justify.

I know people hate Dantoni here and I also have some issues with him but I really hope he and his style succeed in New York. If the NBA wants to survive it needs something other than the free-for-all fight that passed for playoff basketball in the east and the championship this year. The TV numbers were great for the finals but only because it was Boston and LA. I'd like to see Phoenix get a little more physical but if we have to play "Boston" style in order to win I'd just as soon sit around and watch my retirement fund shrink.

Steve

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Probably a bit unneccessary...

Amare's assists were the least of my worries with him. His poor rebounding, awful interior defense, and seemingly indifferent attitude were more frustrating to me. Regardless, there are parts of Amare that I will definitely miss, and parts I won't. All in all, I am glad we didn't give him the max, but that doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic player in some respects.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Please don't turn into Andrew. Amare had plenty of shortcomings despite being what I consider the best finisher within 10' of the basket, after contact, in the entire league. He's not going to start getting 3+ assists per game on the Knicks. He may get up to 10 rebounds somehow, but I doubt that as well. Perhaps he will play with more consistent intensity, but it's hard to change mental habits.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It is interesting that a Power Forward is being criticized for not getting more than three assists a game. Isn't a Power Forward supposed to be judged more on his rebounds and defense?

That indicates that we all know better than to expect anything of Amar'e but offense. A perfect fit for D'Antoni, as we know.

Geez, it would be like criticizing Nash if he gets only three rebounds.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Stoudemire just sounds selfish... probably doesnt mean to.. but he just does.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It is interesting that a Power Forward is being criticized for not getting more than three assists a game. Isn't a Power Forward supposed to be judged more on his rebounds and defense?

That indicates that we all know better than to expect anything of Amar'e but offense. A perfect fit for D'Antoni, as we know.

Geez, it would be like criticizing Nash if he gets only three rebounds.

Didn't Frye lead us in rebounding in the playoffs?

His contract is 70 million less than Amare wants.... Still seems like a good deal for us.

Although Amare is transcendant on offense, his defense and lack of consistent focus dictate a change in scenery. We will be worse off initially, then gradually will look like the winners in the long-run. This is not a Nash type scenario either.... He does not have the significant injury history Amare does and his style of play leans much more finesse than strength.

And I am saying this about my favorite player on the team.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate this guy. His ego would be perfect in NY, hopefully he tears his knee up in a meaningless training game and takes his paycheck for the next 5 years. Tony Parker is nowhere near a passer Nash is so good luck to him getting easy feeds for layups and dunks.
Damn Jagu thats a bit harsh don't ya think?
I hate Kobe Bryant but i don't wish he goes down in a pile of torn tendons.
Besides,as long as D'Antoni's in NY,there will be no championships for the KNICK faithful....LeBron or no LeBron. :D

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Knicks are willing to pay Stoudemire Amar'e $100 million, something no one else with cap space is willing to do.

The Nets would take Stoudemire if James also promises to sign, a source said, but won’t meet his demands for a maximum contract as a solitary commitment.
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67830/20100704/nets_wont_give_amare_$100m_unless_lebrons_attached/el/

Looks like no one except maybe for the NY is willing to sign Amare to the contract he wants. Even NY hasn't actually made him an offer yet. Nets will only make him an offer if they can get someone else too.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Both Amare and D'Antoni will be miserable this year. The Knicks, are probably in the worst future shape of anyone in the league.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Knicks told James in their initial meeting with him Thursday that if he signs with New York, he can choose which free agent big man he would like to play alongside, be it Stoudemire, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer or David Lee.
Stoudemire has fed into the folly by acting as though there was already an offer on the table, going so far as to tell reporters Saturday night that he was already recruiting Carmelo Anthony and Tony Parker to join the Knicks.
In reality, however, Stoudemire will be seeking employment elsewhere if James tells the Knicks he wants to play in New York alongside a different big man.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5355032

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I sure hope Amare ends up in N.Y., the press there will eat him alive. He's forgiven for the faults in his game in AZ, but in N.Y.... he'll be asking for a trade by the 2nd year if they aren't winning.

Pretty funny that he's talking out his ass about bringing others when they haven't even offered him a contract. Actually I hope N.Y. offers him the same sane contract Sarver did.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Damn Jagu thats a bit harsh don't ya think?
I hate Kobe Bryant but i don't wish he goes down in a pile of torn tendons.
Besides,as long as D'Antoni's in NY,there will be no championships for the KNICK faithful....LeBron or no LeBron. :D

Yea it was harsh lol. My apologies to Mr. Stoudemire.