Am I the only one becoming more & more OK with not signing a FA SP?

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
I'd be happy with going all in for an ace like Cueto since he doesn't cost us a rd1 draft pick and we don't have to give away the farm the way we would in a trade, but with the contract for a Cueto level SP being upwards of 200M, I just can't see it being realistic.

Here's how I see the current SP staff

Corbin - low 1/high2
Ray - solid 3

TONS of "potential"....for what it's worth.
Archie Bradley
Aaron Blair
Braden Shipley

"Others" back of the rotation guys
Chase Anderson (#5?)
De La Rosa

"Question marks"
Zack Godley
Jhoulys Chacin

I think the likelihood that at least one of the "potential" group produces at at least a middle of the rotation level. I also think we have plenty to fill the #5 spot with the "Others" & the "Questions marks." I'm also comfortable with Ray in the middle of the rotation, and Corbin as a borderline ace. The key is the "Potential" guys, if more than one of them can produce well this yeaar, we have a solid rotation. No superman ace, but solid 1-5. Along with returning the #1 offense in the NL, I think that enough for 90+ wins.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are just too many question marks to rely on that group. You've got Corbin and Ray (who is a bit of a question mark himself) and then a group of guys who you'd be thrilled if they could put up a collective ERA of 4.5.

They have the money, and I'd rather overpay for an ace than do what we were doing under Towers... overpaying for pitchers to "fill out the rotation" and getting bums like Arroyo and McCarthy.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'd rather stick with that lot than sign Cueto for 70% of the entire team payroll.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks have small market owners and are a small market team.

This is why I doubted we'd be big players in the FA bonanza. Sounds like we gave it a shot with Cueto and he rejected our offer.

We just have to draft and trade our way like other small market teams.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is why I doubted we'd be big players in the FA bonanza. Sounds like we gave it a shot with Cueto and he rejected our offer.

Damn it - you edited before I could make a smart-alek reply!

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score

I agree. As much as I would love Cueto and he would be a great fit to fill that ace role, I just don't know that it's realistic for us. The A's, Ray's and Royals have shown you can have success building within, why not us? If Bradley, Blair and/or Shipley pan out, we're set.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree. As much as I would love Cueto and he would be a great fit to fill that ace role, I just don't know that it's realistic for us. The A's, Ray's and Royals have shown you can have success building within, why not us? If Bradley, Blair and/or Shipley pan out, we're set.

TB, OAK & KC all have drafted well over the years and a lot of that is because of their scouting department. Not sure AZ's scouting department is on their level. Right now ARZ has to either hope Blair or Shipley becomes the next Webb (minus injuries) or trade them to land an Ace and a closer otherwise this team ain't getting any better.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My thought is that the team is hell bent on getting an ace, would you rather get one in free agency or via trade... which to keep the guy you're trading for would likely require giving them 25 mil a year within a few years.

Of all the players theoretically available Jose Fernandez is the best, but I cannot imagine the cost required to land him by trade.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Agree with most of the sentiments above. As much as we need an Ace right now, I don't think the cost and term for some of these guys is justified especially when we have a few good arms on the cusp of breaking into the majors.

I think the DBacks end up with Maeda (5yrs/$80M) and/or Lackey (2yrs/$30M). Not sexy, but you're not mortgaging the future nor do you have to give up assets to obtain them.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My thought is that the team is hell bent on getting an ace, would you rather get one in free agency or via trade... which to keep the guy you're trading for would likely require giving them 25 mil a year within a few years.

Of all the players theoretically available Jose Fernandez is the best, but I cannot imagine the cost required to land him by trade.
+1. Ace level pitching salaries, let only SP salaries are going to continue to get ridiculous. You will eventually have to pay $$$ if you want to keep talent unless you flip them before they hit the market but teams may not be willing to meet asking prices and just try and sign them in FA (well big market teams at least).

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I guess not. :D

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back on my "they have the money" point. We don't need to be a small budget team anymore. Not saying we're going to be the Dodgers, we won't but we certainly are not the Marlins/Astros either. We recently inked a TV deal that will average 75 million a year. That alone is enough to land us a few All-Stars above our previous budget.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess the signing yesterday renders this topic mute??

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard