All Star Weekend 2019 Discussion

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a boatload of rookie sensation cards from 1990-91 by Fleer including JR Rider which were hidden in plastic wraps.

If everything had worked out, I should be a rich man today.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did too. I was also convinced that Clarence Witherspoon would be the next Barkley. After that also failed I figured I’d better stop looking for the “next” whomever.

This was the hype for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is Booker's preparation plan for the 3 point contest. He will not be shooting until he gets there.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Harris just kills the first round with the 3 point shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker with 23 but not good enough to move on.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I ended up slightly behind on my DVR so I had to avoid coming here until I caught up. Booker had a strong showing, really catching fire at the end.

The announcing for the 3pt contest has almost got as bad as the dunk contest. I get there is some strategy involved with where you want your money ball rack but that wasn't even a thing back when Reggie Miller took part in the contest. Hearing Reggie drone on and on though like this contest involves a lot of strategy though just seems odd. I know they need to fill airtime but at the same time, would it be so bad if we could just watch guys shoot without ridiculous and repetitive commentary?

With the added competitors though they should have 3 rounds. 10 guys, 3 to the "finals"? You would think they would want to stretch it out as long as possible.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey the dunk contest is on

Booooooooooo

God it sucks this year

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Does anyone notice Booker tucking his right elbow in even more during his shot? Before his shot was more Klay but now is more Lonzo.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Magic Johnson and Kenny Smith pairing was like nails on a chalk board.

The announcing and presentation wasn't awful back then either. Now you have Kenny Smith yelling on a mic throughout the whole contest about how "This will be special, we're going to see something great, get ready, get ready" and basically repeating those lines over and over in between dunks.

I can’t stand Kenny Smith during the All stars and during the tnt show, so pretty much all the time.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it would improve the scoring if all judges voted up to a 50 and they averaged them. Too often the judges give 9's or 10's for things that don't deserve them but it's like they do it expecting another judge will bail them out some by scoring lower. I highly doubt we would see as many "50 dunks" if they averaged them. Getting all of the judges to unanimously say that it was a fantastic dunk that deserved a 50 would be difficult.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t stand Kenny Smith during the All stars and during the tnt show, so pretty much all the time.

I actually like Kenny during the regular season on TNT. He's terrible at All-Star Weekend and he sucks in the playoffs also. In the playoff's he tries to act like he was a star of sorts, similar to Barkley and Shaq, but he was a role player who was the 4th option on a Rockets team with one of the greatest Centers to ever play the game. The Rockets didn't need Kenny to win their titles.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah Baby Jordan hit the SI big time. We didn't have the internet coverage that we do today (obviously) but both Minor and JR would have been pretty famous to anyone on this site if they were doing their thing and getting the same publicity they got back then. And I'm only a little embarrassed to admit I fell for the Baby Jordan hype.

i fell for that hype too. But man, that kid did look GREAT in college. i mean, he lead USC to a 2 seed in his last year in college? U-S-C... who was even MORE atrocious at basketball then than they are now!

That kid was electric in college.

One of the kids who really made a name for himself back in the dunk contest days was Kenny "Sky" Walker. He didn't do much at Kentucky (during a BAD period for Kentucky), but put on an amazing show at the dunk contest. Then faded back to oblivion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i fell for that hype too. But man, that kid did look GREAT in college. i mean, he lead USC to a 2 seed in his last year in college? U-S-C... who was even MORE atrocious at basketball then than they are now!

Miner really did look great in college but it was all a mirage. His unheralded backcourt running mate (Robert Pack) had a much more successful NBA career.
One of the kids who really made a name for himself back in the dunk contest days was Kenny "Sky" Walker. He didn't do much at Kentucky (during a BAD period for Kentucky), but put on an amazing show at the dunk contest. Then faded back to oblivion.

Kenny was an incredible high school and college player so I'm not sure what you mean here? The team itself didn't have much success, losing to Georgetown in their only Final 4 during his stay, but Kenny was SEC Player of the year twice (all SEC team all 4 years) and was a 1st team All American his senior season.

He never lived up to his David Thompson comparison but, unlike David, Kenny struggled with knee problems throughout his pro career. Not that I'm suggesting he would have been in David's class had he stayed healthy but I think he'd be remembered as an NBA star had his knees held up.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who the crap is Hamidou Diallo?! The dunk contest is so damn terrible. Apologies to Derrick Jones Jr, but I recall when he was in the dunk contest despite not having actually dunked the ball in an NBA game.

If they can't entice current NBA stars to participate then they need to invite a Harlem Globe Trotter or 2... or make it between mascots and allow trampolines, zip lines and motorcycles.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up slightly behind on my DVR so I had to avoid coming here until I caught up. Booker had a strong showing, really catching fire at the end.

The announcing for the 3pt contest has almost got as bad as the dunk contest. I get there is some strategy involved with where you want your money ball rack but that wasn't even a thing back when Reggie Miller took part in the contest. Hearing Reggie drone on and on though like this contest involves a lot of strategy though just seems odd. I know they need to fill airtime but at the same time, would it be so bad if we could just watch guys shoot without ridiculous and repetitive commentary?

With the added competitors though they should have 3 rounds. 10 guys, 3 to the "finals"? You would think they would want to stretch it out as long as possible.

I got an empty feeling when Devin started shooting well late but he was not able to move on. Probably being a homer but I thought he deserved better being the defending champ.

Maybe they could do something like everyone who scores in the 20s in the opening round moves on to the next round. I agree it would be nice to extend it. How about Joe Harris being so pure with his shot to win it.

As far as the announcers, I kind of tuned out the fluff they were providing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone notice Booker tucking his right elbow in even more during his shot? Before his shot was more Klay but now is more Lonzo.

Maybe Booker condensed his shot release to shoot more quickly? I don't know. His shot improved as the 3 point contest went on.

Here is the video.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it weren’t for Zion coming into the league the dunk should be ended.

They need to end it right now. I don't want our star forward wasting his athleticism on that nonsense. He should save his strength for our annual lengthy postseason runs not to mention our frequent trips to that doctor that specializes in delusional fantasies.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Miner really did look great in college but it was all a mirage. His unheralded backcourt running mate (Robert Pack) had a much more successful NBA career.

Kenny was an incredible high school and college player so I'm not sure what you mean here? The team itself didn't have much success, losing to Georgetown in their only Final 4 during his stay, but Kenny was SEC Player of the year twice (all SEC team all 4 years) and was a 1st team All American his senior season.

He never lived up to his David Thompson comparison but, unlike David, Kenny struggled with knee problems throughout his pro career. Not that I'm suggesting he would have been in David's class had he stayed healthy but I think he'd be remembered as an NBA star had his knees held up.
Dude couldn’t shoot and never developed handles. He was a dunker who couldn’t create or get enough space to dunk.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

interesting. I didn't started following basketball until the 1988 so that's why I probably put Kenny in that space. Didn't even realize he was that successful at Kentucky and from the time I started watching, he never made much of a dent in the NBA until the 1990 dunk contest.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting. I didn't started following basketball until the 1988 so that's why I probably put Kenny in that space. Didn't even realize he was that successful at Kentucky and from the time I started watching, he never made much of a dent in the NBA until the 1990 dunk contest.

Yeah, he might have been a bit of disappointment to hardcore Kentucky fans but that was due to expectations more than anything. But his style of play took it's toll on his body and while David Thompson proved you can still sky walk on cocaine, you can't do it with bad knees.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave