Album-a-Day #7: Passion

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yesterday, I posted one of the greatest albums of all time, and one of my favorites. Today, I'm posting my absolute #1 album of all time, Peter Gabriel's Passion.

The music is strictly world music, which Gabriel uses in many of his more mainstream works. The music is from the Martin Scorsese film The Last Temptation of Christ. I believe legal issues prevented him from using the title of the film as the title of the movie.

Anyway, this is just an absolutely brilliant album--blending Middle Eastern percussion with vocals that are just amazing, notably from Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn. Gabriel himself provides vocals more as effects rather than real spoken words.

True music doesn't get much better than this.

Band: Peter Gabriel
Album: Passion: Music from The Last Temptation of Christ
Year Released: 1989
No. of Discs: 1
No. of Tracks: 21
Track Listing:
1. The Feeling Begins
2. Gethsemane
3. Of These, Hope
4. Lazarus Raised
5. Of These, Hope - Reprise
6. In Doubt
7. A Different Drum
8. Zaar
9. Troubled
10. Open
11. Before Night Falls
12. With This Love
13. Sandstrom
14. Stigmata
15. Passion
16. With This Love - Choir
17. Wall Of Breath
18. The Promise Of Shadows
19. Disturbed
20. It Is Accomplished
21. Bread And Wine

You must be registered for see images attach

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Back in the mid 1990s, Peter and Vernon Reid (the guitarist from Living Colour) got together with a bunch of other musicians and just jammed for a few days. Vernon Reid said he recorded it but they'd never release it, it would take the fun out of what they did together. Man, I'd love to get my hands on a bootleg of those sessions!!!

Peter Gabriel = underrated musician, who will always be tied to his commercial hit "Big Time" instead of the more experimental stuff he's done for decades.

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am at a total loss about any of the AOTD so far. I heard OF some of them, just never heard any of them.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by SameOleGee
I am at a total loss about any of the AOTD so far. I heard OF some of them, just never heard any of them.

That's too bad, we've been putting in some great albums. :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SameOleGee
That's kind of the reason we're doing it, I thought--so that you can get a feel for some music you've never heard, and maybe be inspired to go listen to something new.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn