4. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
5. I'm The One
6. Jamie's Cryin'
7. Atomic Punk
8. Feel Your Love Tonight
9. Little Dreamer
10. Ice Cream Man
11. On Fire

My goodness, where do I begin with this one? This album is simply amazing from beginning to end. David Lee Roth is one of the greatest front men of all time. While I respect most of the work done in the post-Roth era, there is no doubt in my mind that Roth is far superior as a Van Halen front man.

Every song on this album is great. Some of my favorites are Atomic Punk, I'm the One, and On Fire. When you combine the unique screams of DLR with Eddie's unbelievable guitar, it is truly spectacular.

Even though DLR is a strange duck, I still love the early Van Halen.

On a side note, If you ever get a chance to see the Van Halen tribute band "The Atomic Punks", make sure that you do it. The singer, Ralph Saenz, nails the DLR voice and appearance. The guitarist is awesome too. They usually play once a month at the "Venue of Scottsdale" (Formerly Cajun House). www.theatomicpunks.com (The next show is May 15)

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable, change the face of rock history album. I think Eddie was only 19-20 when it was released and he instantly became the rock guitar idol for several young people (myself included) when it was released.

Vince can comment much better than me (but I have the advantage of a little age), but EVH totally ripped up the guitar world with "Eruption". I was in college about 10 years after the release, and all the guitar players still had to have Kramers, and the first question anyone would ask is "Can you play eruption?"

Great album - top to bottom, just awesome.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
jw7 said:
EVH totally ripped up the guitar world with "Eruption". I was in college about 10 years after the release, and all the guitar players still had to have Kramers, and the first question anyone would ask is "Can you play eruption?" QUOTE]

Eruption is a fantastic piece. But contrary to popular opinion, EVH did not invent the tapping technique he used on it. He certainly took it to another level though.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't fathom that this album was released 26 years-ago since it clearly could do well compared to anything released today....VH just immediately established intensity with that captivating intro on "Running With The Devil" and managed to sustain it all throughout the album without faltering once....

My favorite songs from "Van Halen" are "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love", their wonderful remake of "You Really Got Me" (had to make the Kinks proud), and of course the most underrated track on the album "Ice Cream Man"....

As far as preferring David or Sammy....I'll just offer the most diplomatic response... It's always based on what kind of mood I'm in on which one I'd opt to listen to at that particular moment....

What's odd is that while growing up in MI...I would enjoy listening to Van Halen more in the summer than any other season...There are certain bands that best suit listening to during certain times of the year and it seemed that all of VH songs are "summer anthems"......

Definitely another solid selection.....

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Released in 1978, the first Van Halen album is one of rock and roll's absolute finest compilations.

Before the band became popular, this album was on the market for about a year. The opening song, Runnin' with the Devil is probably David Lee Roth's best vocal performance.

The instrumental Eruption that leads into a cover of the The Kinks song, You Really Got Me is also a sign that Eddie was going to become one of the greatest guitar players of our tme.

My favorite song on this CD is still, to this day, Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love. I remember seeing these guys at Phoenix Civic Center shortly after the second album was released, and watching how Eddie made the "noise" you hear in that song was incredible.

Further examples of that style of guitar can be heard in Atomic Punk. Ice Cream Man starts out with a mild DLR singing and eventually kicks into one of the best jams ever recorded.

The band has always been known for fantastic backing vocals by Michael Anthony and Eddie, and when you listen to Feel Your Love Tonight, you get an idea of how good their voices really are.

The other hit single was Jamie's Cryin', but there is not a song on this album that you probably have not heard on the radio at some point. This is truly the best of the David Lee Roth/Van Halen years.

This is one of the greatest album/CDs of all time.

Track List....

1. Runnin' with the Devil
2. Eruption
3. You Really Got Me
4. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
5. I'm the One
6. Jamie's Cryin'
7. Atomic Punk
8. Feel Your Love Tonight
9. Little Dreamer
10. Ice Cream Man
11. On Fire