After We Traded Back to 12, How would U Have Played It

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Build a R1 for the Cards exactly how you would have done it as GM, using the exact picks we had at the time, as follows:

R1 - 12
R2 - 33
R2 - 34
R3 - 81
R3 - 94
R3 - 96

Let's see all the varieties of outcomes we could have had or done as a good GM. If you like what we did so much that you wouldn't want to change it, that is good too. Just say so.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would have stayed put and taken Gonzalez at 12. Still have two high seconds for top center and DL.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I would have taken Gonzo too, but hindsight is 20/20. I applaud the Cards for getting their guy at the right spot and setting up the team well for 2024.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Taking Gonzalez, or any other CB, & placing him behind our most likely horrific pass-rush this year is bad business & would’ve set him up to fail.
I would have gone in a much different direction, which wouldn't have that as a problem. Not saying my way is better. But the way it played out, being a D minded type, I would have addressed the D first this year, and had next year to build a good OL and play makers on offense.

I would stay at 12 and like others said, taken the top CB, then seeing that Nolan Smith and Bresee were both still available late in the round, would have traded up combining both of the Seconds with one of our later 3rds, and would have had our D set up very well.

Would have used our earlier 3rd for best C available, and then with later round picks got some depth at OL, CB, etc. In 2024 would have addressed our OL fully where needed, and added some play makers on offense.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Jones from Georgia more than I like Paris Johnson however, if that’s the guy then I’m glad they made the move to go back up.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
it isnt horrible how it turned out. a likely top 5 pick next year and an extra 3rd next year are really good.

Im okay with the trade down to 6...aint thrilled, but if we dont get an OT this draft we gotta get one next year...so fine.

But I might have stayed at 12, drafted Van Ness... then grabbed an OC at 33 and either a CB or an OG at 34.

In my eyes Paris is likely our future RT.... Jones suxx on the right but played decent at LT, so we put Jones at LT when we move on from Hump and PJ at RT whem we move on from Beach...so the legendary "Bookend Tackles" are set.

The only way I see it as a huge fail is if PJ spends his career at guard. But even then, if he is a 5 time first team all pro guard...fine.

Reactions: PJ1

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would have taken Gonzales at 12 with how it all played out but the run on tackles makes that a terrible move meanwhile Joey Porter Jr is sitting there round 2
I don’t understand how Gonzalez slid all the way to 17. I can’t blame AZ for taking Johnson at 6. Probably a reach but he wouldn’t have been there at 12.

Not a bad building block though. #33 I’m thinking they take o-line. Could’ve have Avila/Schmitz with b2b picks with a good CB in Gonzalez but the extra first next year is huge.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Drafted Kancey at #12

If he survives 1 more pic draft O’Cyrus Tonney at #33

At #34 draft Benton, Keon White, Cam Smith, or Brents

The rest I’m leaving because we don’t know who’s getting picked yet :)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Taking Gonzalez, or any other CB, & placing him behind our most likely horrific pass-rush this year is bad business & would’ve set him up to fail.
I think the brain trust is turning either Zaven or Isaiah into an edge rusher...

As for OP’s question I thought it was too much value to trade up until I saw they got another 3rd later in the night. Campbell Jr has high upside given his performance at tackle in one year and he’s still 21. Seems like his character is top notch. Given it’s a tanking year there’s not a ton of pressure right away.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i would have preferred to stay at 12, keep the extra second rounder -- and take Broderick Jones (assuming the team committed to O-Line : which i am okay with)

Jones is likely a RT only, but you have Hump under contract for a few more years.

alternate pick: Van Ness, because Harry really likes him

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think the brain trust is turning either Zaven or Isaiah into an edge rusher...

As for OP’s question I thought it was too much value to trade up until I saw they got another 3rd later in the night. Campbell Jr has high upside given his performance at tackle in one year and he’s still 21. Seems like his character is top notch. Given it’s a tanking year there’s not a ton of pressure right away.
That will be Simmons’ job

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m happy with what they did. They moved down and got their guy along with a first and third next year!

That being said, finish off this o-line and get the best center out there. Johnson, Schmitz, and Hernandez is a very respectable interior o-line.

Fix this offense. We also need a big play rb somewhere in this draft. One that can compliment Conner.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Simmons should have been a blitzing LB or rusher all along. That's where he has excelled. It's crazy that a coaching staff can't figure it out how to best use your talent.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Drafted Kancey at #12

If he survives 1 more pic draft O’Cyrus Tonney at #33

At #34 draft Benton, Keon White, Cam Smith, or Brents

The rest I’m leaving because we don’t know who’s getting picked yet :)
I really like Torrence too, but here's the thing: tackles and players who can play tackle and guard, are just so much more valuable than players that are strictly guards.

Johnson Jr. just seems to be such an outstanding young man. You draft the person just as much as you draft the player.

Johnson has outstanding measureables. Elite measureables. The other tackles don't have the measureables that he does.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I would change it at all.