After Noel and Mclemore, This Is The Player That I want the Suns to Pick

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Suns are going to draft a player with a top 5 pick at the position in which they already have Morris', Scola, Frye, Beasley?

I put Beasley and Marcus Morris in that because they both play better as PFs than SFs.

I'm fine with taking Bennett but only if we cut our PFs list from 5 to 1 or 2.

There is no one on our roster (with the possible exception of Dragic) that should in any way influence our draft selection this year.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What do you think of Kabongo?

Fancy name and his game looks similar to Schroeder's.

What's your thoughts on Myck Kabongo? Good value pick with Miami's pick?

I liked Kabongo as a potential upside pick last year but Schroeder is simply a better prospect than him in any regard. I don't know what Kabongo would do better than Schroeder and he is almost 2 years older too.

Schroeder is my sleeper pick in the draft, I think he has a good chance to be one of the top 7 players drafted in this class down the road. It's hard to predict really because you can't say how he is going to take advantage of his ability but I think he has almost as much upside as anyone.

Would be absolutely thrilled if we could grab him somewhere between #10-18. I think he will be better than Dragic within 3 years.

Schroeder, McLemore and Noel are my favorite three players in the draft. They would fit together well too.

I am also starting to like many of the other international prospects specifically Karasev, Livio-Jean Charles.. though I have questions about the defense of Karasev.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I liked Kabongo as a potential upside pick last year but Schroeder is simply a better prospect than him in any regard. I don't know what Kabongo would do better than Schroeder and he is almost 2 years older too.

I think Kabongo is better than him when it comes to passing, reading what the defense is doing, confidence etc. And how about commuication? As a PG, one of your biggest responsibilities is to constantly communicate with the team and its hard to do that while hardly knowing any English. It was one of the reasons Dragic had a rough start in the NBA.

About the only thing that Schroeder beats Kabongo imo is shooting.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is no one on our roster (with the possible exception of Dragic) that should in any way influence our draft selection this year.

Steve
I disagree. It doesn't help the rookie or the players on the team to come into a situation where there will be an overabundance of players at the same position.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think Kabongo is better than him when it comes to passing, reading what the defense is doing, confidence etc. And how about commuication? As a PG, one of your biggest responsibilities is to constantly communicate with the team and its hard to do that while hardly knowing any English. It was one of the reasons Dragic had a rough start in the NBA.

You are just writing what Kerrsed wrote on realgm and he is wrong.

Schroeder is born in Germany therefore he learned English in school from a young age. His mother is from Gambia, the official language in Gambia is English.

The reason Dragic had a rough start in the NBA is that he was raw and little understanding of the game.

Schroeder is faster, more athletic, better shooter, almost 2 years younger..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. It doesn't help the rookie or the players on the team to come into a situation where there will be an overabundance of players at the same position.

We have bodies at each position but we don't have players. There isn't a team out there that doesn't have multiple bodies at each position and that NEVER keeps them from drafting talent. I prefer drafting the best player available but even if you drafted solely on need, we still need to fill every starting position other than point guard.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have bodies at each position but we don't have players. There isn't a team out there that doesn't have multiple bodies at each position and that NEVER keeps them from drafting talent. I prefer drafting the best player available but even if you drafted solely on need, we still need to fill every starting position other than point guard.

Steve

Exactly. If taking a forward means that Frye, Beasley, Scola, a Morris loses their spot in the rotation... then who the hell cares?

We have a ton of forwards, but no forwards that are capable starters on a decent team. We NEED a quality forward, but what we need most is talent, regardless of position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If taking a forward means that Frye, Beasley, Scola, a Morris loses their spot in the rotation... then who the hell cares?

We have a ton of forwards, but no forwards that are capable starters on a decent team. We NEED a quality forward, but what we need most is talent, regardless of position.

BPA regardless of position unless two players have comparable upside or skills with the Suns first pick. This includes even PG. However, if two available players have virtually the same grading, then the team can address need or want. Gortat can and maybe should be traded. I really wish the Suns had another early pick. It's really hard to know what the Suns should do until we know the Suns draft order and what the Suns might get in a trade.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The "only" thing that Schröder beats Kabongo is that he is a point guard of a team formed by adult professional basketball players in Bundesliga while Kabongo's team is composed from young athletes.

There is no way that Kabongo is a better passer or floor general than Schröder.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bennett will drop like a rock on draft night.

I am not sure he is really much better than Terrence Jones, he is small and injured and is non-existant defensively.

Unless several international players fill those early spots, Bennett will go top 5 or so. Yes, he's injured but it's an injury that he played through without missing games. It impacted his performance but it didn't keep him off the court. I don't see that hurting his cause in any way. And while he is a little short for his position, he's hardly "small" and he has excellent length to go with a strong frame.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think that Noel, McLemore, Oladipo, Porter, Burke, Muhammad should definitely go before Bennett.

And then I like Caldwell-Powell a lot, Schroeder a lot and Gobert is someone I am scared of but someone in the NBA will love the potential. And I also think McCollum has the same size issues but has more of NBA game.

So I think Benett is more of a late lottery pick with the likes of Zeller, Len, Olynyk and Carter-Williams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that Noel, McLemore, Oladipo, Porter, Burke, Muhammad should definitely go before Bennett.

And then I like Caldwell-Powell a lot, Schroeder a lot and Gobert is someone I am scared of but someone in the NBA will love the potential. And I also think McCollum has the same size issues but has more of NBA game.

So I think Benett is more of a late lottery pick with the likes of Zeller, Len, Olynyk and Carter-Williams.

You discount Bennett because of his height and his defense but you're high on a very undersized guard and a wing player that plays absolutely no defense. Burke is the best college player of that group but undersized point guards rarely translate well to the next level. Maybe he'll be one of the exceptions but I'd rather take that gamble elsewhere, especially given our roster.

Steve

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at Diante's page and he is indeed listed as 6'4 190. I was only going by what he looked like to me. I'd just watched an old game where Dragic sat and Diante was subbing for Marshall - I thought he looked 2-3 inches shorter than Marshall and spindly legged. Great, at 6'4 I like him even more.

As far as assists go, if we can project Kendall to be top 3 based on three games, it's surely not a stretch to rate Diante as even better at dishing based on 150 minutes.

neither one of them put up good numbers, but after watching summer league last year I thought Garrett looked like 10 times the prospect that Marshall was. I didn't see the games at the end of the season where Marshall started. I'll have to go back and watch some of his video. I have to admit that at times I thought he looked better than I expected he would, but that's probably because I didn't even think he was worthy of a camp invitation much less a lottery pick.

I really liked the potential of Dieng from Louisville and did you see his measurements? If I remember correctly 9 '3" standing each. Wouldn't be surprised if he climbs up in the lottery, but right now according to the draft websites he could have been had for that damned Lakers lottery. God I hate those guys. :)

Joe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Carrick Felix is available to the Suns with their second round pick, I'd grab him. I don't think any player will outwork him and he has skills especially on defensive. He had the lowest body fat of those at the combine, 3.3. My other late round want is Peyton Siva. It's funny I have gotten more excited about second round players than I have first round picks. Maybe it's because I don't know where the Suns will be drafting in the first round (with their first pick) and these players are projected to go later in the second round.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...ays-off-nba-draft-combine.html?nclick_check=1

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You discount Bennett because of his height and his defense but you're high on a very undersized guard and a wing player that plays absolutely no defense. Burke is the best college player of that group but undersized point guards rarely translate well to the next level. Maybe he'll be one of the exceptions but I'd rather take that gamble elsewhere, especially given our roster.

Steve

Burke is not undersized at 6'1.

The only one undersized on that list is McCollum if he can't make the transition to PG.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burke is not undersized at 6'1.

The only one undersized on that list is McCollum if he can't make the transition to PG.

For a waiter, no. For an NBA point guard, yes 6'1 is undersized. It's pretty much the equivalent of being 6'7 and playing power forward. And Burke is under 6 feet according to his recent measurements. He is undersized.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
For a waiter, no. For an NBA point guard, yes 6'1 is undersized. It's pretty much the equivalent of being 6'7 and playing power forward. And Burke is under 6 feet according to his recent measurements. He is undersized.

Steve

In all fairness, we've seen some undersized point guards who've been very successful in the NBA in the last couple of years. I am not disagreeing with you, and I wouldn't take Burke with a top 5 pick, but I don't think that being under 6'3 is as big of a deal breakers as it once was. If you are quick, able to penetrate, shoot, pass, and at least somewhat able to play defense, being 6'1 is not a deal breaker.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think Bennett will drop like a rock on draft night.

I am not sure he is really much better than Terrence Jones, he is small and injured and is non-existant defensively.

I disagree. Bennett can't play defense, and there are some concerns about his health, but he is impossible to defend. It's been a long time since I've seen someone that strong and that quick. He can overpower SFs, and outrun the PFs. Not many teams will pass on that. (For the record, I do hope the Suns pass on Bennett. I'd rather have a solid defender who is not as advanced offensively.)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all fairness, we've seen some undersized point guards who've been very successful in the NBA in the last couple of years. I am not disagreeing with you, and I wouldn't take Burke with a top 5 pick, but I don't think that being under 6'3 is as big of a deal breakers as it once was. If you are quick, able to penetrate, shoot, pass, and at least somewhat able to play defense, being 6'1 is not a deal breaker.

I agree although I think that recent trend is going to once again go the other way with the increased physical play that is becoming prevalent in the NBA. Derek Fisher would have been forced into retirement several years ago if the league hadn't started allowing more contact on the perimeter. This is a much more physical league than it was just 3 years ago and with the success of this type of play, more teams will follow suit. Well, they'll follow until the NBA sees the viewership drop as a result.

Steve

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Since Burke can do very well all the things listed above, I would take him even with a top5 pick.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I disagree. Bennett can't play defense, and there are some concerns about his health, but he is impossible to defend. It's been a long time since I've seen someone that strong and that quick.

At the start of the season Bennett has shown that kind agressiveness in offense.

After that he started to decline and he kept doing this until season ended.

Maybe it was tougher schedule, maybe his shoulder, maybe opponents started to figure out how to slow him down, but later on he was very far from being an unstoppable scorer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love these little comparison battles. McLemore vs Oladipo. Bennett vs. Burke.

I am convinced Burke will go over Bennett. He came out as a true 6-1 at the combine. The success of Chris Paul and Kyrie Irving is going to help Burke. I don't think teams are worried about his size any more. The kid is a gamer and a leader and a pg that can distribute and score.

Bennett's injury is going to hurt him, as well as his size for the position and his defense. I am sorry. You just have to play some defense if you are a tweener forward.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving, and even the recent impact of Nate Robinson makes Burke's stock go up.

He is not too small at a true 6-1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison