Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash, classy as usual.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, he can come back to the organization after he retires and still help us win that elusive title. Pretty sure we still won't have one by then.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yah. I have a hard time being upset with Steve. Some things trump sports rivalries, fatherhood is definitely one of them. The Suns were ready to move on, he took the next closest job to his kids. In an age where many athletes don't make their kids a priority, I applaud Steve for being one who does.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
screw Nash. if he would have just made it clear DURING the season that he wouldn't have been coming back, I think we could have made a better deal.

and screw the Suns for putting themselves in this position.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think we could have made a better deal.

I always see people make this claim but I never see any examples these great deals the Suns could have had. Due to his age Nash's production was always far greater than his value to other teams.

The only teams that would really have an interest in Nash are contending teams in need of a PG. Lakers were won of the teams and the Suns just got about the best they could offer, other teams that might of made sense are Knicks, Trailblazers, Indiana and Magic. What exactly would you have expected any of those teams to give up?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Just impossible not to love and respect the man...

:(

Yep, I refuse to hate on Nash. He did everything he could to win a championship, unfortunately the ownership didn't have his same dedication.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
screw Nash. if he would have just made it clear DURING the season that he wouldn't have been coming back, I think we could have made a better deal.
What exactly makes you think that Nash knew he wasn't going to come back? From reading the reports, it seems like Nash had every intention of re-signing until the Suns made it clear this off-season that they were putting an end to the Nash era.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly makes you think that Nash knew he wasn't going to come back? From reading the reports, it seems like Nash had every intention of re-signing until the Suns made it clear this off-season that they were putting an end to the Nash era.

I don't believe everything that's rewritten. and how exactly was Nash thinking he was going to come back... at the salary he wanted which would have hamstrung the team from adding more pieces?

and the suns... don't even get me started on those clowns. if they didn't know he wouldn't accept less money here... or knew all along they weren't going to offer him a deal, it's insanity to wait for him to be a FA before thinking about trading him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always see people make this claim but I never see any examples these great deals the Suns could have had. Due to his age Nash's production was always far greater than his value to other teams.

The only teams that would really have an interest in Nash are contending teams in need of a PG. Lakers were won of the teams and the Suns just got about the best they could offer, other teams that might of made sense are Knicks, Trailblazers, Indiana and Magic. What exactly would you have expected any of those teams to give up?

i think a good GM would have gotten the Magic to bite and bite hard. if we had gotten future first round picks from them, it would have been gold. that team was desperate to keep Dwight and we did nothing about it. Same with the Blazers or the Knicks.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i think a good GM would have gotten the Magic to bite and bite hard. if we had gotten future first round picks from them, it would have been gold. that team was desperate to keep Dwight and we did nothing about it. Same with the Blazers or the Knicks.

A good GM can't make teams do something they don't want to do. The Magic with Nash aren't giving you significantly better picks than what they just got and the Suns would have had to take back salary. Outside Ryan Anderson(questionable if they give him up) is there anyone that was on that roster you'd want to pay? Maybe JJ Redick.

Blazers weren't giving up Batum(who just got a 4yr/45mil offer) or picks in the top have of the 1st round. So not sure what else there would have been to talk about with them.

Knicks likely would have offered a similar deal as to what was reported in the S&T. They don't have any picks to trade until around 2017. Maybe Shumpert is better than 2 late firsts and 2 mid late seconds + a TPE, but I don't think it's a great deal better.

All the Suns were going to get was late picks and role players so I don't see how ending up with late picks and a TPE is all that much worse. The only thing Nash would have done was improved the Suns own draft pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good GM can't make teams do something they don't want to do. The Magic with Nash aren't giving you significantly better picks than what they just got and the Suns would have had to take back salary. Outside Ryan Anderson(questionable if they give him up) is there anyone that was on that roster you'd want to pay? Maybe JJ Redick.

Blazers weren't giving up Batum(who just got a 4yr/45mil offer) or picks in the top have of the 1st round. So not sure what else there would have been to talk about with them.

Knicks likely would have offered a similar deal as to what was reported in the S&T. They don't have any picks to trade until around 2017. Maybe Shumpert is better than 2 late firsts and 2 mid late seconds + a TPE, but I don't think it's a great deal better.

All the Suns were going to get was late picks and role players so I don't see how ending up with late picks and a TPE is all that much worse. The only thing Nash would have done was improved the Suns own draft pick.

well, I guess we'll never know because we didn't even try. at least that's my opinion.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nash wants a ring, and he didn't leave us screwed because of it. We are lucky for what we got, I am O.K with how he played it and how he played for the Suns, we were lucky to have him. I aint gonna root for no Stankers, but I will tune in to see Nash hold it up and I will be somewhat OK with it. He gave us his best, kept us from being scrubville. All you folks that wanted scrubville for lottery picks, he left us a chance to get all the lottery picks and gave us some extra trading power/possible draft miracles.

Do I ever want the Fakers to win....no.
If they win now will it have less sting...yes.
Do I want to punch Laker fans after...yes.

Let that man do his thing and give him the street cred he deserves, he left, he didn't abandon us with nothing.

Good luck Steve, thanks for all the good stuff.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't believe everything that's rewritten. and how exactly was Nash thinking he was going to come back... at the salary he wanted which would have hamstrung the team from adding more pieces.
That's not quite true. The salary he sought and received from the Lakers wasn't much more than what the Suns gave to Dragic. The Suns could have easily given a similar 3-year contract to Nash and still went after Gordon and Beasley if they wanted to. But it appears they decided to get younger instead and that meant end of Nash in Phoenix.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was time. We have been ripping the bandaid off millimeter by millimeter. Now its been ripped off. Its done. It hurt but its over.

Now we can move forward.

ryanshaug

Registered
Reaction score
Being mad at Nash is absolutely ludicrous. He gave this organization all he had, he didn't complain when we went downhill, he kept giving his all and doing his best. The NBA needs more players like him, we were blessed to have him and it was time for him to move on. I only HOPE we get another player of both his caliber and his professionalism again. I DOUBT it given the way the NBA is going.

The only thing that sucks is that he's a Laker. Big time. Beyond that, I can't understand any ill will towards Nash. It's the same as people giving Boldin crap when he left. The guys give their all, they are human and I personally thank them for their contributions, the good times, everything they gave.

Steve Nash is a God in Phoenix, he is one of the top players to ever grace the Suns floor, and he will go down in history that way, make no mistake. As much as it pains me to say it, I wish him luck on the Lakers, I hope he gets his ring. It's clear the Suns won't be competing for it for awhile...lets just HOPE they can get their crap together. The truth is that if the Suns wouldn't have pissed away their team over the last couple years that Nash wouldn't have a reason to go anywhere.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Thing is they should havbe traded Nash as soon as it became obvious Amare wasn't going to stay here which was 3 years ago.

Should have tanked the last 3 years instead of having 2 #13 picks.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nash comments on the trade:

"It stung a little bit," Nash said of the Suns' inactivity with him. "At the same time, I can't fault them. They made a strong move to cut ties and move forward and I get it. Goran (Dragic, a former Nash backup who Phoenix will give a four-year, $30 million deal) is a terrific signing. If they get (Eric) Gordon (by New Orleans not matching a four-year, $58 million offer sheet), they'd have a great backcourt for years.

"A head's up that they were moving on would've meant a lot to me. I don't have any problem with them going in a new direction. It takes guts to do it. They got younger and more talented. I'm excited for them and Suns fans that they'll be back in there."

"I did want to come back, move the franchise forward and leave it in a better place than the past two seasons," Nash said. "The Suns knew that. Once I realized they were going in a new direction, I got used to the idea that I'd be elsewhere. It's still going to take time to get used to."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...in-contender-too-much-pass-up-steve-nash.html

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Has Nash ever looked at the makeup of the roster? What did he expect after he said he would only stay if they made improvements but at the same time demanded big money to stay himself?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson