A Different Drafting Strategy Intended to Spawn Ulcers

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not deferring to Kiper, but if the majority of the experts think that Suggs is no longer worth a top 10 pick, I would go along with it. I don't want my personal want of an impact DE, to make me rate Suggs higher than he is worth. THe absolute worst thing to do is reach.

The above post got me thinking. Let's play "crystal ball" for a moment. You're Rod Graves and the draft is falling pretty much as you want it. Palmer (Cincy), Rogers (Lions), Johnson (Texans), Robertson (Bears), Newman (Felons).

Suggs is there. So is Trufant. So is Leftwich. So is Kennedy. So is Kevin Williams.

Brian Billick gets piped in to the Redbird Nest. He wants to jump from #10 to #6 in order to grab Leftwich away from the Jags.

You look down the board.

6. Colts - Leftwich

7. Vikes (Could go Trufant, Kennedy or Suggs)

8. Jags (With a QB gone, they might lean Jordan Gross)

9. Carolina (They just added Peppers/forget Suggs here)

10. Cards - They'd get one of the three - Trufant (whom they're said to love), Kennedy (who can walk the OG all the way back to the QB - Mac) or, hope of hope, they could still wind up with Suggs plus a #44 or #77 pick.

First of all, would you do the deal?

Second of all, if you had to decide among the three, whom would you choose at #10: Suggs, Trufant or Kennedy?

Personally, I'd still pick Suggs. So the issue for me would be: "Would I be willing to gamble away a shot at him if I was pretty sure I'd still get Trufant, Kennedy or Kevin Williams as a consolation prize?

Thoughts?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
First off #6 would be the Ravens(not the Colts) but I'd do the deal.

You could probably trade down to the late teens(17 or so) and still get Kevin Williams.

My guess is this....Ravens would draft Leftwich
Kennedy would go to the Vikings
The Jags won't go for Suggs since they just signed Hugh Douglas...they'd be much more likely to go Boller or Gross or maybe even Grossman
Carolina would go with Gross if he is still left or Trufant
Leaving the Cardinals with their choice of likely Suggs, maybe Trufant and for sure Kevin Williams

If they could do that and pick up an extra second rounder that'd be great

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd do it in a heartbeat and wouldn't care if we got Trufant, Kennedy or Suggs. I might even do it for their 3rd and 4th rd picks. We could then package these to get another pick in the 2nd rd etc.

Williams might be a little early at the 10th spot but it would be possible to trade down again.

I did however just add Tums to my draft day supply list. :)

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I doubt the Ravens would do this.

From everything I've seen their board top 3 is most likely:
1=Boller, or 2=Leftwich, they seem to personally prefer Boller but would gladly take either. There's no reason for them to want to jump up to 6. Why do that when all they really accomplish is raise the price they have to pay for their player.

From the Cards standpoint, I wouldn't do it, even if it was offered, simply because under that scenario, so the Jags take either Boller or Leftwich. That would mean the Vikings would take Kennedy, who is the one I want. The Jags would take whichever QB the Ravens didn't, in this case I'd say Leftwich. Carolina would take Gross.
Which is just about what Zeno said, and I agree.

In that case I'd take Trufant over Suggs. But although not dissatisfied with the pick, would feel I had missed the best opportunity to overall improve the team with Kennedy. (and Robertson already gone too). I remain in the camp that says Suggs is not worth that high a pick to the Cards. The reasons have been discussed to death and no need to go over them again.

I don't think Williams is quite worth the effort here.

So....stay at 6 and take Kennedy. If he's there and we don't, the Vikings will. That I just about guarantee.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tangodnzr
I doubt the Ravens would do this.

From everything I've seen their board top 3 is most likely:
1=Boller, or 2=Leftwich, they seem to personally prefer Boller but would gladly take either. There's no reason for them to want to jump up to 6. Why do that when all they really accomplish is raise the price they have to pay for their player.

From the Cards standpoint, I wouldn't do it, even if it was offered, simply because under that scenario, so the Jags take either Boller or Leftwich. That would mean the Vikings would take Kennedy, who is the one I want. The Jags would take whichever QB the Ravens didn't, in this case I'd say Leftwich. Carolina would take Gross.
Which is just about what Zeno said, and I agree.

In that case I'd take Trufant over Suggs. But although not dissatisfied with the pick, would feel I had missed the best opportunity to overall improve the team with Kennedy. (and Robertson already gone too). I remain in the camp that says Suggs is not worth that high a pick to the Cards. The reasons have been discussed to death and no need to go over them again.

I don't think Williams is quite worth the effort here.

So....stay at 6 and take Kennedy. If he's there and we don't, the Vikings will. That I just about guarantee.

Wow....I don't think Kennedy is worth the #6 pick. I guess that is difference of opinion.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't believe Ravens would do this. Would be great if they did.

In my opinion Suggs is a guy who makes plays. Forget all the other crap, this guy is just a damn good football player.

The best athlete is not always the best football player.

Draft Suggs.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My prediction: Kennedy will in no way make it past #7.
Suggs might.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Tice has been quoted as saying if Suggs makes it to them, that will be their pick. We need that speed off the edge.

Draft Suggs.

--Solar

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Wow....I don't think Kennedy is worth the #6 pick. I guess that is difference of opinion.

The War Room have Kennedy rated higher than Robertson, but also states that Kennedy only wiil be a better player than Robertson if he's in the right system. The problem is that Kennedy would only fit in about 7-8 D-systems, where Robertson could more or less play in all systems.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I brought this up last week.. If the "experts" are right and Suggs drops, what do we have to lose by trading down. We have made it publicaly known we like Trufant and Suggs. Say we trade down 4 spots to 10... Chances are that if Leftwich is on the board at #6 Trufant or Suggs will be there at #10.. Everyone has explained why they think Suggs/ Trufant will be there at 10 so I wont get into it. I think the question is not did Suggs drop, but did Leftwich rise, fall, stay the same? Would be pass on Leftwich to trade down a few spots and hope Suggs/ Trufant are there? This is going to be the question on draft day. Of course we will know what happens at 1:30 pm EST... No matter what happens it will be good for the franchise.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Solar7
Tice has been quoted as saying if Suggs makes it to them, that will be their pick. We need that speed off the edge.

Draft Suggs.

--Solar

You mean the speed slower than Leftwhich's?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Eh, like everyone says, game speed and agility is more telling of a DE than how fast he can run a 40.

--Solar

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that's what he meant VC.:rolleyes:

Really - that doesn't make much sense to me. You know what also doesn't make much sense to me - I thought you weren't gonna respond to anything I posted anymore. Will the contradicting NEVER STOP MAN?!!!!:wave: :thumbup: :)

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
I'm not deferring to Kiper, but if the majority of the experts think that Suggs is no longer worth a top 10 pick, I would go along with it. I don't want my personal want of an impact DE, to make me rate Suggs higher than he is worth. THe absolute worst thing to do is reach.

The above post got me thinking. Let's play "crystal ball" for a moment. You're Rod Graves and the draft is falling pretty much as you want it. Palmer (Cincy), Rogers (Lions), Johnson (Texans), Robertson (Bears), Newman (Felons).

Suggs is there. So is Trufant. So is Leftwich. So is Kennedy. So is Kevin Williams.

Brian Billick gets piped in to the Redbird Nest. He wants to jump from #10 to #6 in order to grab Leftwich away from the Jags.

You look down the board.

6. Colts - Leftwich

7. Vikes (Could go Trufant, Kennedy or Suggs)

8. Jags (With a QB gone, they might lean Jordan Gross)

9. Carolina (They just added Peppers/forget Suggs here)

10. Cards - They'd get one of the three - Trufant (whom they're said to love), Kennedy (who can walk the OG all the way back to the QB - Mac) or, hope of hope, they could still wind up with Suggs plus a #44 or #77 pick.

First of all, would you do the deal?

Second of all, if you had to decide among the three, whom would you choose at #10: Suggs, Trufant or Kennedy?

Personally, I'd still pick Suggs. So the issue for me would be: "Would I be willing to gamble away a shot at him if I was pretty sure I'd still get Trufant, Kennedy or Kevin Williams as a consolation prize?

Thoughts?

I take Kennedy but I do not think he will be there. I might even take Kennedy at #6 if Leftwich is gone. I think Kennedy is less of a risk than most. he will be a starter and make any DE we get a much better player.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zeno
First off #6 would be the Ravens(not the Colts) but I'd do the deal.

You could probably trade down to the late teens(17 or so) and still get Kevin Williams.

My guess is this....Ravens would draft Leftwich
Kennedy would go to the Vikings
The Jags won't go for Suggs since they just signed Hugh Douglas...they'd be much more likely to go Boller or Gross or maybe even Grossman
Carolina would go with Gross if he is still left or Trufant
Leaving the Cardinals with their choice of likely Suggs, maybe Trufant and for sure Kevin Williams

If they could do that and pick up an extra second rounder that'd be great

If Suggs is dropping like a rock why are we so happy to trade down and get him.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My prediction: Kennedy will in no way make it past #7.
Suggs might.

You are right no way Kennedy makes it past 7 and I doubt even there. He is just to strong and big. You cant teach that. He is sort of like Big only on the defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard