30 Years Ago Today: Bucs-28 Cards-31

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My one and only game at Busch Stadium. Cards trail 28-3 going into the 4th quarter then ring off 28 unanswered points to win 31-28 in front of about 40,000 empty seats. The most exciting game I've ever seen live in what turned out to be the Cards' final season in St. Louis. It's still considered one of the greatest 4th quarter comebacks in NFL history. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198711080crd.htm

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-11-09/sports/sp-14469_1_deficit

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Was in the Air Force in England. just for the hell of it went to a betting parlor in the village of Bradford and wagered 10 British pounds on a 10 game parley on NFL games against the point spread. 1000-1 odds of winning. Hit 9 out of the ten games. Only game lost was this game. Lost on winning 10,000 British pounds by 1/2 point.

Was so close

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NJ, thanks for the post! Man those were the days! Not in terms of wins, but I had to scrape and scrap for every Cards nugget I could get. Didn't stop me from loving those teams to the bottom of my existence! Awesome bro.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When I think Cards/Bucs, I remember the game in Tampa in which the RB rolled over the pile and was never down, and then ran for a TD.

There's gotta be video of it somewhere.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My one and only game at Busch Stadium. Cards trail 28-3 going into the 4th quarter then ring off 28 unanswered points to win 31-28 in front of about 40,000 empty seats. The most exciting game I've ever seen live in what turned out to be the Cards' final season in St. Louis. It's still considered one of the greatest 4th quarter comebacks in NFL history

Stump was my favorite player! First poster I ever had on my wall as a kid was in 1988. Stump scored a TD at my first ever game and became my hero. My dad bought me a Stump poster and it stayed on my wall until I was about 18 and left for college.

Sorry, I digress. lol

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
NJ Card Fan - Thanks for posting this, I remember watching whatever game was on in NJ at the time and getting excited as the cardinals score updates were being shown during the cut-ins. In watching this video, I am reminded of my love for Neil Lomax (see my profile pic), and also came across of this link of Pat Tilley "pulling a DeSean" (he spikes the ball when he is only on the 1 yard line) - and the color commentator is none other than O.J. Simpson:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FrustratedFan04

All Star
Reaction score
I was at that game as well, what most people don't realize is that TB had a kicker name Donald Igwebuike who was deadly from long distance and he hit the goal post on a 50+ attempt to tie the game as time ran out.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was at that game as well, what most people don't realize is that TB had a kicker name Donald Igwebuike who was deadly from long distance and he hit the goal post on a 50+ attempt to tie the game as time ran out.
Actually he hit the crossbar. He was my fantasy kicker at the time too.

FrustratedFan04

All Star
Reaction score
Actually he hit the crossbar. He was my fantasy kicker at the time too.

You are indeed correct. Here is a paragraph from LATimes about game:

“....With the Cardinals down by 25 points in the fourth quarter, quarterback Neil Lomax threw for three touchdowns in a come-from-behind win. One of the touchdowns was to tight end Robert Awalt, the other two to league reception leader J.T. Smith. Donald Igwebuike's potential game-tying 53-yard field goal attempt bounced off the crossbar as time ran out....”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn