2024 Free Agency thread

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You’re going to have to quote a post of yours in which you slammed the organization for a big free agent signing before I believe you would’ve criticized a fuller signing.
I don't slam anybody, but I have pointed out meh free agents in the past. I owe you nothing in this regard.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but if those picks had been NFL caliber players, they would have had players to turn to. However, that doesn't mean FA isn't important, older FAs are a trap, and/or signing vets hinders long term success.

Signing 31 year old Jadeveon Clowney doesn't hurt the Cardinals as a standalone move. What hurts the Cardinals is if they sign Clowney, Ojulari is a bust, and they don't have any drafted EDGE players who can replace him.

Yeah I was just replying to why Keim failed to have a sustainable team. His team got old and had no young players to pick up the mantle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He was so bad, he was signed to a multi year deal, and nearly EVERY FA list had him as one of the top corners. You gotta touch some grass here, your comparison of a guy like Fuller to Marco Wilson and Ham is beyond absurd.
Jeebus you seriously need a lesson in simple logic.

I'm not comparing the players, I'm comparing their seasons. You suck at this.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Jeebus you seriously need a lesson in simple logic.

I'm not comparing the players, I'm comparing their seasons. You suck at this.
Yeah - their seasons WERE NOTHING ALIKE. That's what you seem not to understand. You take a limited data set, and ignore everything else.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah - their seasons WERE NOTHING ALIKE. That's what you seem not to understand. You take a limited data set, and ignore everything else.
They absolutely were. Over the course of a full season they both gave up around 120 QB Ratings, and over 70% completion.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cardinals didn't have sustainable success because Keim couldn't draft NFL players and seems to have been a bad person. It's not like the Cardinals let young players walk to have success elsewhere in favor of old vets. Maybe you can argue Reddick, but I feel that was a lack of communication and a bad practice of drafting players to play other positions from what they played in college/hybrids.

I'd really like the Oral History of Haason Reddick as a Cardinal. When we drafted him, BA compared him to Von Miller, who was an Edge in Denver.

With a good draft, I think this team can win 7 games.

My lord expectations are low.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ridiculous, per usual. You cherry pick stats without looking at the bigger picture. Anyone who thinks Antonio Hamilton was better than Fuller isn't worth engaging...Antonio Hamilton is sitting at home like you and me and Fuller was just signed to a multi-year deal.

What is the point of arguing with someone who thinks Justin Jones is the equivalent of Zach Allen and Antonio Hamilton is better than Kyler Fuller? It's beyond parody.

Note to self: BIG PICTURE is essential.

Justin Jones signed a three-year, $31,165,000 contract with the Arizona Cardinals, including a $9,750,000 signing bonus, $26,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,388,333. In 2024, Jones will earn a base salary of $3,000,000, a signing bonus of $9,750,000, and a workout bonus of $50,000 while carrying a cap hit of $6,555,000 and a dead cap value of $24,750,000.

Zach Allen signed a three-year, $45,750,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $32,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,250,000. In 2024, Allen will earn a base salary of $1,125,000 and a restructure bonus of $14,125,000 while carrying a cap hit of $7,700,000 and a dead cap value of $26,500,000.

*$15M more for a player who would have been behind in every meaningful stat in 2023 had they had the same number of snaps.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Imo the only reason we didn’t have sustainable success in either keim playoff era was the age of our qb. If you’ve got that and a good coach you can keep doing what keim did.
If I'm signing free agents as a team building towards being a playoff team, I'm not signing guys that are around 30 to multi year contracts.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Everyone complains that we don't resign our good players. Wouldn't it make sense to invest some cap dollars in resigning our own before next year's free agency. I could see signing Kizer White, Froholdt, Hernandez, and McBride to extensions this summer or during the season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone complains that we don't resign our good players. Wouldn't it make sense to invest some cap dollars in resigning our own before next year's free agency. I could see signing Kizer White, Froholdt, Hernandez, and McBride to extensions this summer or during the season.
yes.

But McBride can't be extended until he completes his 3rd season I believe.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you need to remove injuries from the equation altogether (both numerator and denominator) bc it has nothing to do with whether they were worth the value of the signing.
This is entirely incorrect. It has everything to do with whether a player is worth the value of a huge contract. The fact that it's difficult to predict doesn't change that fact.
It’s a random outcome that can impact any player acquired in any manner. We don’t look at the number of players drafted that are injured to determine if we should rely upon the draft. Or the number injured that came via trades to determine whether we should engage in trades.
But if players acquired via the draft suffer long-term injuries, they don't saddle the team with huge salary cap burdens.

The fact is that of the top 11 FA's added in the last 2 years, 6/11 each year utterly failed to be worth it.

Even if you remove the injured players from the numerator and denominator, you get 4/20 Pro Bowlers, 6/20 decent starters, and 10/20 underperforming / traded / cut!

My point is, those who have been clamoring for making a "splash" in FA should be aware that of the top 22 FA acquisitions over the last 2 years, only 20% turned out to be Big Johns.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is around what I think they can do, but it all depends on what happens with the division.

So you think the Cards were a 7-win team if Kyler's healthy all last year, and this year with free agency, another draft, and guys like PJJ and Ojulari with another candle on the cake, you also think they're a 7-win team? As a ceiling?

Okay.

I think that's what we're going to do with the $15.9 million in post-June 1 cap space from the Humphries release. We currently have 53 pending free agents for 2025 (counting Hump right now). Many of those guys are camp bodies like Quavian White and Austen Pleasants.

Some of them, though, are the depth signings that people were very excited about this year and last. Others are Greg Dortch (who's STILL an RFA he must be so mad).

In short: 78 players currently on the roster, 53 pending free agents. The Rams have 59 players on their current roster; 18 are pending free agents (including Aaron Donald).

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A player the Cards should look at that fits the mold Monti has been signing is Mike Danna from the Chiefs.

Played 74% of snaps on the Edge last year and had 6.5 sacks (PFF says 8 as I think they count half sacks). Had 24 pressures, 50 tackles and 3 batted passes.

Played 2000 snaps for the Chiefs the last 4 years, still only 26. Should be cheap. Has got better every year and still ascending.

Chiefs fans love Danna and want him back. Markus Golden type player.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So you think the Cards were a 7-win team if Kyler's healthy all last year, and this year with free agency, another draft, and guys like PJJ and Ojulari with another candle on the cake, you also think they're a 7-win team? As a ceiling?
LOL master of twisting words just to troll people.

I think there was an off chance they could have been

But you conveniently (and purposefully) miss the part that I said the Cardinals are their record. Either you are incapable of understanding this nuance or you're doing this on purpose just to be annoying.
Okay.

I think that's what we're going to do with the $15.9 million in post-June 1 cap space from the Humphries release. We currently have 53 pending free agents for 2025 (counting Hump right now). Many of those guys are camp bodies like Quavian White and Austen Pleasants.

Some of them, though, are the depth signings that people were very excited about this year and last. Others are Greg Dortch (who's STILL an RFA he must be so mad).

In short: 78 players currently on the roster, 53 pending free agents. The Rams have 59 players on their current roster; 18 are pending free agents (including Aaron Donald).
This is what happens when you have draft classes from 2 years ago that are all gone. And you have a turnover of the front office.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A player the Cards should look at that fits the mold Monti has been signing is Mike Danna from the Chiefs.

Played 74% of snaps on the Edge last year and had 6.5 sacks (PFF says 8 as I think they count half sacks). Had 24 pressures, 50 tackles and 3 batted passes.

Played 2000 snaps for the Chiefs the last 4 years, still only 26. Should be cheap. Has got better every year and still ascending.

Chiefs fans love Danna and want him back. Markus Golden type player.

Exactly the kind of player you bring in during a rebuild.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is entirely incorrect. It has everything to do with whether a player is worth the value of a huge contract. The fact that it's difficult to predict doesn't change that fact.

But if players acquired via the draft suffer long-term injuries, they don't saddle the team with huge salary cap burdens.

The fact is that of the top 11 FA's added in the last 2 years, 6/11 each year utterly failed to be worth it.

Even if you remove the injured players from the numerator and denominator, you get 4/20 Pro Bowlers, 6/20 decent starters, and 10/20 underperforming / traded / cut!

My point is, those who have been clamoring for making a "splash" in FA should be aware that of the top 22 FA acquisitions over the last 2 years, only 20% turned out to be Big Johns.
Outstanding post.

This is why good teams are mostly built through the draft.

Players that excel, excel in specific circumstances. Some players will only excel in a specific scheme. It's hard to project that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Cardinals didn't have sustainable success because BA prefered a veteran team. That 2017 team had the oldest roster in the NFL and it got old fast by the end of the season. I believe that was a reason BA was fine leaving the Cardinals. The Cardinals went all in one time too many and the cupboards were left bare afterwards.
I would challenge this narrative to an extent. It’s not like we traded away all of our top picks for grizzled veterans during that period. They just weren’t good picks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard