2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you watch the video? I'm a Monty fan but Jock mentioned some very fair and reasonable insight. He wasn't blaming Monty alone but definitely questioned the rotations.

Plus the video has Lyndsey Smith, who is a smokeshow. Definitely worth a watch.

Yes, I watched the part about Jock. We all agreed there were rotation problems not only last season but prior seasons as well.

What I'm saying, the Suns gave a backup center plenty of minutes to prove himself, which he did and he increased his value. The Suns roster was a mess last season after the trade for Durant. Everyone on the bench was not going to be happy.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes, I watched the part about Jock. We all agreed there were rotation problems not only last season but prior seasons as well.

What I'm saying, the Suns gave a backup center plenty of minutes to prove himself, which he did and he increased his value. The Suns roster was a mess last season after the trade for Durant. Everyone on the bench was not going to be happy.
The problem is that the only player on the bench that was likely happy with his role in the rotation was probably Shamet of all people. Almost no one on that bench got any sort of consistent role, at least consistent enough.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the only player on the bench that was likely happy with his role in the rotation was probably Shamet of all people. Almost no one on that bench got any sort of consistent role, at least consistent enough.

After the trades at the deadline, the Suns didn't have much of bench nor a consistent 5th starter. It really wasn't very good except for Landale. The trade for Durant happened late so the team was reassembled in a hurry. It was a ragtag affair except for the four starters.

This season, the Suns have put more thought into putting the team together.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
After the trades at the deadline, the Suns didn't have much of bench nor a consistent 5th starter. It really wasn't very good except for Landale. The trade for Durant happened late so the team was reassembled in a hurry. It was a ragtag affair except for the four starters.

This season, the Suns have put more thought into putting the team together.
Most of the players on the team after the trade were already there the whole season. It is up to the coaches to figure out a rotation to stick with and they never did. Instead they would let a player have a couple good games and then inexplicably that player wouldn't play in the next couple games. Last season wasn't the only time this happened either.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not only would Jock know better than any of us...... His comments seem warranted IMO. And if that's how a bench guy feels...... Imagine how an immature center built like a Greek god but as soft as Kleenex felt about some of those same decisions.

I left that video feeling more like a change was needed and that it could...... slightly could........ maybe could could....... help us get a good DA year if Vogel and his staff are what we all hope they are.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah but that's kind of his point. He played pretty well for us, well enough to earn a very nice raise elsewhere. And yet Monty would forget about him for long stretches just like he did so many other players. Players need to know what their roles are and that hasn't been the case for many of our players under Monty.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the players on the team after the trade were already there the whole season. It is up to the coaches to figure out a rotation to stick with and they never did. Instead they would let a player have a couple good games and then inexplicably that player wouldn't play in the next couple games. Last season wasn't the only time this happened either.

We already agree there were rotation problems. It wasn't just last season. The Suns bench after the trade deadline was not very good so I'm not going to fully blame Monty on this one because he didn't have a lot to work with.

Then, when Paul was injured and Ayton was out game 6, there wasn't a lot there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but that's kind of his point. He played pretty well for us, well enough to earn a very nice raise elsewhere. And yet Monty would forget about him for long stretches just like he did so many other players. Players need to know what their roles are and that hasn't been the case for many of our players under Monty.

It was time to make a coaching change but Monty didn't have a lot to work with after the trade deadline so there was more than one factor in play. The rotation problems were not fully due to coaching.

I think the discussion is deeper and involves more than one season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was time to make a coaching change but Monty didn't have a lot to work with after the trade deadline so there was more than one factor in play. The rotation problems were not fully due to coaching.

I think the discussion is deeper and involves more than one season.
I agree that we can't lay all the blame for our failures on Monty. Clearly he did some good things here and for whatever reason we didn't give him quite the bench we needed. But his inability or unwillingness to use the players he did have was obvious even going back to his first year with us. I kept thinking he'd get better or his assistants would get better but it never happened.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that we can't lay all the blame for our failures on Monty. Clearly he did some good things here and for whatever reason we didn't give him quite the bench we needed. But his inability or unwillingness to use the players he did have was obvious even going back to his first year with us. I kept thinking he'd get better or his assistants would get better but it never happened.

Yeah, the rotation issues probably go back to not playing Frank Kaminisky more in the Finals.

Somewhere along the line the wheels came off and losing Willie Green didn't help.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, the rotation issues probably go back to not playing Frank Kaminisky more in the Finals.

Somewhere along the line the wheels came off and losing Willie Green didn't help.
You definitely could see a less effective team after Willie Green left. I am willing to give Vogel a chance, but kinda feel like maybe we should have made the Monty move sooner and elevated Green. I mean look at a less talented Pelicans roster and what Green was able to do consistently against us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely could see a less effective team after Willie Green left. I am willing to give Vogel a chance, but kinda feel like maybe we should have made the Monty move sooner and elevated Green. I mean look at a less talented Pelicans roster and what Green was able to do consistently against us.

I don't think there was enough time to evaluate Monty after Willie Green left but I agree with your premise.

We need a time machine.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Monty lost me the night he went into the Bucks locker room to get a rub and attention when his team was just eliminated from the freaking finals. That's when I knew he was more about his image than team. Maybe he's just that type of dude but be that dude somewhere else

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Jock finally came out and called out Monty's weird rotation decisions. Like playing well for 3-4 straight games and then suddenly not playing for multiple games. Starting to seem obvious that it isn't just the fans that were having issues with it.

Starts at 27:30 in this video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That would be incredibly frustrating

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson