2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, wasn't everyone worried we couldn't fill all 15 spots?
I think we were concerned with the talent level of those 15 spots (plus the two ways), and that's still a question mark.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think anyone was worried about filling those spots, that's not hard. Filling those spots with guys who can potentially help the team in some way is much more difficult. We don't need starters for all 15 spots but the 11-15 guys should be young players we're developing or ring chasing vets. Ish is almost 30, he's not getting better. He's not someone you want to rely on if your team has championship aspirations either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never take a roster spot for granted, even the 3 two-way spots. Never know when a player can turn unto something more.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think anyone was worried about filling those spots, that's not hard. Filling those spots with guys who can potentially help the team in some way is much more difficult. We don't need starters for all 15 spots but the 11-15 guys should be young players we're developing or ring chasing vets. Ish is almost 30, he's not getting better. He's not someone you want to rely on if your team has championship aspirations either.
Really? I think he can contribute he pretty much saved us in that Dallas game. Thats a sign of hope right? I mean he would be far down the bench for me. Like 8-10

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the Suns 15 man roster last season plus add Bradley Beal and less Chris Paul and Landry Shamet.

How many feel comfortable they win a title with the same roster?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? I think he can contribute he pretty much saved us in that Dallas game. Thats a sign of hope right? I mean he would be far down the bench for me. Like 8-10

He was a favorite of Monty's and often saw time over more skilled players like TJ, for example. He does play hard but he was also the closest thing to a PF we had coming off the bench other than Craig. Problem is he doesn't have Craig's shot, BB IQ, or ability to SF as well. This worries me because we need real big bodies not undersized and underskilled practice bodies. He's taking a spot from someone else and I don't like that. Maybe if it comes out the deal isn't guaranteed and he can still be dumped then I'll feel better about it but I'd rather not even be in that position.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was a favorite of Monty's and often saw time over more skilled players like TJ, for example. He does play hard but he was also the closest thing to a PF we had coming off the bench other than Craig. Problem is he doesn't have Craig's shot, BB IQ, or ability to SF as well. This worries me because we need real big bodies not undersized and underskilled practice bodies. He's taking a spot from someone else and I don't like that. Maybe if it comes out the deal isn't guaranteed and he can still be dumped then I'll feel better about it but I'd rather not even be in that position.

I heard on the radio that it is guaranteed

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the Suns 15 man roster last season plus add Bradley Beal and less Chris Paul and Landry Shamet.

Yes I like our chances if healthy.

KD was not 100 percent, Monty screwed up the rotations, and with 3 great scorers instead of 2 the load is much more spread out and we can handle one having an off night and still have a chance.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I feel you are going way too deep here. Those "practice bodies" are important to have on the roster as well as good locker room guys. Even after signing Ish we still have like 8 roster spots open and only like 4 of those will be other returning players. This really isn't a big deal.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Definitely an improvement considering we couldn't rely on our bench anyway and you add another All-Star to the roster.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
It's not a move I would have made if I were the Suns GM.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah he doesn't bring all that much to the table & is deep in the bench player for a desperate fill in. Cheap signing is all. He's just happy to on the team. I hope he contributes but he's a roster filler basically

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
If being loved by teammates is worth $1.9 million, I have the wrong teammates. :)
I just wonder how many wins by being loved by your teammates will be totaled on the 2023-2024 win- lost record? Or better yet how that brings a championship? I rather have talent any day and sure chemistry is very important . But talent and chemistry has to be combined ingredients. Why settle for one? They must be combined to move forward to for wins and a championship. But I wish him & his $1.9 million the best on the upcoming year. You stick with a player and hope he develops. Go Suns!

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns give a qualifyting offer to Jock Landale and a two-way offer to Saban Lee.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
A playoff rotation is usually 7-8 players. If you are relying on the 14th or 15th guy on your roster come playoff time you are likely screwed anyways.
We still need another 4 players - I guess Craig counts, maybe Jock/Okogie (if he comes back), but guys like Stan Johnson/Ish/etc aren't going to get rotation minutes in the playoffs. Not sure how we acquire the other 1-2 guys.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A playoff rotation is usually 7-8 players. If you are relying on the 14th or 15th guy on your roster come playoff time you are likely screwed anyways.

If everyone stayed healthy and didn't have to play an entire season plus the playoffs, a 7-8 man rotation looks good on paper.

However, every player on that 15 man roster will be needed at one time or another during the season and playoffs.

An 82 game schedule is brutal and will take its toll.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
We still need another 4 players - I guess Craig counts, maybe Jock/Okogie (if he comes back), but guys like Stan Johnson/Ish/etc aren't going to get rotation minutes in the playoffs. Not sure how we acquire the other 1-2 guys.
The options really aren't great. Our best bet is likely to sign a couple guys that have looked like they might be washed up and hope that they find a resurgence for us. Of course they could have been used poorly in previous situations. Otherwise we would be hoping for a couple young players to surprise, Camara for instance.

JRakes

Reaction score
I don't think we should expect a decent signing until players are bought out mid season. That's when we'll add our cheap talent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard