2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how this turns out for Donovan Mitchell. Dillon Brooks is suspended for 1 game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would rather trade away the whole teams future for KD, as opposed to a washed CP3 for Kyrie?

Not me.

Just because KD may be available again, don't mean he will come cheap.
That's what you took from my post? I'll try to make it clear. I have no interest in trading for either player. None. Zero. I would not trade for Kyrie even if it was a sweetheart deal (Kyrie for CP3 and filler). If you put a gun to my head and said I had to make a trade for one of them, I'd choose Durant but even then the gun would have to be loaded and wielded by an angry firearms expert who was aiming from point blank range.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some choice. I'd go the same way but only if those were are only two options. But I have to think there's something better than choosing between a franchise killing personality like Kyrie and and an oft-injured all-time great in the twilight of his career like Durant.

Maybe we just need to recognize we've screwed this up and stop trying for miracle fixes. Hire the best scouts and development staff that money can buy, add a G League team and develop a contender over the next 3 to 5 years instead of trying to roll an 11 with one shake of the dice. If Booker isn't willing to stay, thank him for everything he's done for this franchise and move him for the best package available.
I look at it a little different. I think they are not getting anywhere with these minor trades. I say take a shot and go for it. Take a risk. I am not confident once CP3 is gone that they will land anybody close to his playmaking capabilities. The window is about to slam shut.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I look at it a little different. I think they are not getting anywhere with these minor trades. I say take a shot and go for it. Take a risk. I am not confident once CP3 is gone that they will land anybody close to his playmaking capabilities. The window is about to slam shut.
Not sure about the window slamming shut.

our core is still middle aged. We just need to make something out of our first rounders.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFAIC the window is effectively shut and giving away future assets just prolongs the time we have to stare at a closed window. Duncan isn't leading us to the promised land even if we simply added him to our roster for free and we all know that's not going to happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFAIC the window is effectively shut and giving away future assets just prolongs the time we have to stare at a closed window. Duncan isn't leading us to the promised land even if we simply added him to our roster for free and we all know that's not going to happen.
Have to agree to disagree. I think adding Durant brings us a title. I believed it then and I believe it now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the window slamming shut.

our core is still middle aged. We just need to make something out of our first rounders.
Basically we need something like a star level replacement at the one, a solid starter replacement at the four, a solid starter replacement at the five, an upgrade at the backup one, an upgrade at the backup two and an upgrade at the Head Coaching spot. We aren't fixing all that overnight.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Basically we need something like a star level replacement at the one, a solid starter replacement at the four, a solid starter replacement at the five, an upgrade at the backup one, an upgrade at the backup two and an upgrade at the Head Coaching spot. We aren't fixing all that overnight.
Kyrie at PG?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the second night in a row the NBA had a real dust up.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You hardly ever see fights like that in the NBA anymore, real punches!

My guess for suspensions is....... Rivers 3 for initiating it and Bamba like... 5 or 6 for coming off the bench to throw punches. A few other guys might get a game.

Also, if you can find a longer clip you guys should look it up, the play that preceeded it was a perfect glimpse of the Wolves. Gobert and Edwards are so out of sinc they fail to get the ball beyond half court with only 1 defender.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I disagree this team isn’t that far away.

I agree we need another “star” to go with Booker but Cam Payne is as good a backup PG as there is in the NBA. Craig and Saric are solid players at the 4 and Ayton and Biz are a pretty damn good combo at the 5.

This team had two legit stars last year and now Booker is out and Paul is showing his age. Booker will be back soon but we should have addressed the Paul situation a lot sooner. That’s on James Jones

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree this team isn’t that far away.

I agree we need another “star” to go with Booker but Cam Payne is as good a backup PG as there is in the NBA. Craig and Saric are solid players at the 4 and Ayton and Biz are a pretty damn good combo at the 5.

This team had two legit stars last year and now Booker is out and Paul is showing his age. Booker will be back soon but we should have addressed the Paul situation a lot sooner. That’s on James Jones
Payne, like our other Cam, has spent more than half his Suns career either injured or playing below his level while he comes back from an injury so yes, we do need an upgrade at that spot.

Craig is a pretty good backup combo forward, I think we still need someone that can back up the 4 that doesn't give up as much size.

Paul was showing his age all last season, he just was able to turn it on in the 4th quarter most nights - until the end of the season when he couldn't even pretend to turn it on.

DA stopped playing defense, that's when I stopped believing in him. Maybe if we brought Jae back, DA would go back to being an impact on that end but that's not likely to happen. Also, having fallen in love with the 15 footer, his efficiency is at it's lowest during the CP3 era.

Biz is a great backup 5 except he has bad knees and is often limited in the games he can play in and the minutes he can handle. Saric, when he's healthy and in game shape, is a good big man backup but he's been most effective at the 5 and usually gets exploited when we've had to use him outside.

And addressing the Chris Paul situation isn't as simple as you seem to believe. Star level players, especially at the PG spot are difficult to acquire without also giving up star level players. We don't have the quality depth we need in order to easily facilitate such a trade. We'd have to include Bridges and despite the Mikal bashing here, that's one hell of a hole we'd have if we moved him for a PG.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Where’s the Paul and Monty threads dedicated to them? Oh those don’t exist? oh ok gotcha.

Pointing out Chris Paul is past his prime at 37 isn’t hate it’s reality and there is no shame in that you are supposed to be past your prime at 37. Saying Monty was the right coach at the time and has reached his ceiling is a reality in my eyes. That’s not hate posting that’s not rage posting. You see me writing long ass post in the Monty thread?

You know damn well it isn’t even close to the same, but if you feel you “got me” then more power to you bud. We are not even close to the same.

Mic drop, lol just kidding that’s corny as ****
Your lack of self awareness is entertaining.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Your lack of self-awareness is pretty funny.

I can freely acknowledge I bash Ayton’s game when he gives me a plethora of evidence to do so.

The fact that you don’t see yourself doing the same trashing CP3 or Monty or Bridges in threads all over the place is bizarre.
Lol Borg

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Like I said criticizing in game threads and dwelling on certain players in a dedicated thread about that player are two very different things. Like I said feel free to point out me posting everyday on the Monty and Chris Paul threads.

You are allowed to criticize whoever you want, but let’s not act like like it’s the same thing. If you think you only talk about him when he has a bad game so be it if that’s how you see yourself. Yes some of us def lack self awareness.
Dude your criticism about Paul and Monty is spread throughout the entire forum. It’s nonstop. Take a step back and look inward. It helps.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payne, like our other Cam, has spent more than half his Suns career either injured or playing below his level while he comes back from an injury so yes, we do need an upgrade at that spot.

Craig is a pretty good backup combo forward, I think we still need someone that can back up the 4 that doesn't give up as much size.

Paul was showing his age all last season, he just was able to turn it on in the 4th quarter most nights - until the end of the season when he couldn't even pretend to turn it on.

DA stopped playing defense, that's when I stopped believing in him. Maybe if we brought Jae back, DA would go back to being an impact on that end but that's not likely to happen. Also, having fallen in love with the 15 footer, his efficiency is at it's lowest during the CP3 era.

Biz is a great backup 5 except he has bad knees and is often limited in the games he can play in and the minutes he can handle. Saric, when he's healthy and in game shape, is a good big man backup but he's been most effective at the 5 and usually gets exploited when we've had to use him outside.

And addressing the Chris Paul situation isn't as simple as you seem to believe. Star level players, especially at the PG spot are difficult to acquire without also giving up star level players. We don't have the quality depth we need in order to easily facilitate such a trade. We'd have to include Bridges and despite the Mikal bashing here, that's one hell of a hole we'd have if we moved him for a PG.

So you’re going full rebuild?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you’re going full rebuild?
I'm willing to but no, it wouldn't be my first choice. Slim though it is, I still have some hope that DA will mature and consistently be the player we need him to be. Even if he doesn't fully reach his ceiling, if he can just play regularly like he has occasionally that gives us a solid ********* with Booker, Bridges and DA. Use our picks wisely and build over a few years instead of a big gamble and we could be decent for a year or two while hopefully blossoming into a true contender.

Edit: That's funny. Apparently it won't allow t h r e e s o m e.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose