2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be you could look at the crew names before the game and pick out the bad referee, if there was one. Now, it just doesn't matter, most of them are weak.

This was nuts. If Poole's heave at teh buzzer goes in it's double OT and the ball CLEARLY went out off Wiggins. They have to review those things it could have changed the game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was nuts. If Poole's heave at teh buzzer goes in it's double OT and the ball CLEARLY went out off Wiggins. They have to review those things it could have changed the game.

Turns out that final sequence was even worse. The shot that Horford missed that went out off Wiggins wasn't taken in time, it was still in his hands when the shot clock hit 0. So even though they got the out of bounds call wrong, it actually should have been Warriors ball with 6.3. They didn't have a timeout so couldn't have advanced it but better chance with 6.3 than 3 something.

But all of that wouldn't have mattered if they didn't blow the foul on the Wiggins 3 which clearly was NOT a foul. Wiggins made 2 shots, then the Warriors stole the ball off the inbounds and DiVincenzo hit a 3, so the ref calling a phantom foul gave the Warriors 5 points.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Word is that Ibaka wants out. I’m not sure he has anything left at this point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now the NBA 2 minute review says the refs missed FIVE calls in the last 2 minutes that would have favored the Warriors.

The weird thing is it doesn't mention the Horford foul on Wiggins that resulted in 3 freethrows he made 2 and then a steal and 3 cut the lead to 3. Apparently the NBA says the review was correct it was a foul, I don't agree.

All this because Curry was terrible in the last 3 minutes of regulation and it led to Boston tying the game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now the NBA 2 minute review says the refs missed FIVE calls in the last 2 minutes that would have favored the Warriors.

The weird thing is it doesn't mention the Horford foul on Wiggins that resulted in 3 freethrows he made 2 and then a steal and 3 cut the lead to 3. Apparently the NBA says the review was correct it was a foul, I don't agree.

All this because Curry was terrible in the last 3 minutes of regulation and it led to Boston tying the game.
I watched that game later on last night and I'm pretty sure the foul on Wiggins was correctly called. It looked to me like Horford got him on his elbow just as Wiggins was preparing to shoot. Just a graze, but even a feathery touch is supposed to be called in that situation.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I watched that game later on last night and I'm pretty sure the foul on Wiggins was correctly called. It looked to me like Horford got him on his elbow just as Wiggins was preparing to shoot. Just a graze, but even a feathery touch is supposed to be called in that situation.
Because this generation of player is snuggly soft due to the rule changes. Players used to have to dodge Karl Malone and Charles Barkley elbows in the paint.
Today you can catch a flagrant for having bad breath, god forbid if you actually touch someone.
But scoring IS up which was the whole reason for the changes anyway.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I could be wrong but I never saw any sign he hit Wiggins and the way Horford reacted I was convinced it wasn't a foul.

The end of the game was ridiculous. Horford shot the ball but didn't get it off before the shot clock expired so they missed that. The rebound went out off Wiggins but they gave it to the Warriors. so they missed 2 calls on the same play at the end.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe tries to start a fight with the entire Grizzlies team at the Lakers game last night and then gets lucky that about 10 people hold back Steven Adams, who could snap Sharpe in half like a twig.

Sharpe claims that he told Dillon Brooks you're too small to guard LeBron, Brooks said F me, and that started it. The Ja Morant got involved and when Sharpe stood up and started shouting obscenities at the Grizzlies players, Adams walked over and started talking to him and had to be held back by the team and most of the coaches.

Adams is notorious around the league for being cool in those situations, I have seen him actually pick up players trying to fight and walk them back to calm the situation down, so whatever Sharpe said he must have REALLY crossed a line for Adams to come at him.
Sharpe also apparently got into it with Morant's dad.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shannon Sharpe tries to start a fight with the entire Grizzlies team at the Lakers game last night and then gets lucky that about 10 people hold back Steven Adams, who could snap Sharpe in half like a twig.

Sharpe claims that he told Dillon Brooks you're too small to guard LeBron, Brooks said F me, and that started it. The Ja Morant got involved and when Sharpe stood up and started shouting obscenities at the Grizzlies players, Adams walked over and started talking to him and had to be held back by the team and most of the coaches.

Adams is notorious around the league for being cool in those situations, I have seen him actually pick up players trying to fight and walk them back to calm the situation down, so whatever Sharpe said he must have REALLY crossed a line for Adams to come at him.
Sharpe also apparently got into it with Morant's dad.

Best line in that article:

The Lakers rallied in the fourth quarter to take the 122-121 win, which snapped Memphis' 11-game win streak.

:cool:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Lakers rallied in the fourth quarter to take the 122-121 win, which snapped Memphis' 11-game win streak.

Yeah it was a crazy ending the Grizz absolutely blew the game. I'm not sure when the fight happened it may have had something to do with how poorly Ja played down the stretch.

Sharpe is huge btw, still keeps in shape, but he's 54 years old, Adams is 29 and about 280 pounds. I think Adams would just do to him what he did to Isiah Stewart, who's huge, just bearhug him and walk him back until Stewart realized this dude is freakishly strong and gave up. Except Adams was breaking up that fight, in this one I think he actually wanted Sharpe.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was a crazy ending the Grizz absolutely blew the game. I'm not sure when the fight happened it may have had something to do with how poorly Ja played down the stretch.

Sharpe is huge btw, still keeps in shape, but he's 54 years old, Adams is 29 and about 280 pounds. I think Adams would just do to him what he did to Isiah Stewart, who's huge, just bearhug him and walk him back until Stewart realized this dude is freakishly strong and gave up. Except Adams was breaking up that fight, in this one I think he actually wanted Sharpe.
Different reactions on Twitter:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Different reactions on Twitter:

The thing is Adams looks very similar to that, except he's like 40 pounds bigger and 25 years younger, and 8 inches taller.

Unless Sharpe is into martial arts or something, and he might be, I don't think it would have ended well for him with Adams.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I guess there are worse things than listening to Sharpe talk; like watching him trying to fight a whole team of giants in front of 20k ppl. Him and Bayless are truly made for eachother.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Shows how far the Lakers have fallen (basketball-wise) and the Grizzlies have risen on my hate-o-meter that I found myself rooting for the Lakers to beat them.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is it just me or are these young Grizz team really chippy. They been jawing with every team and now with Sharpe.

I think they're slowly becoming one of those villain teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or are these young Grizz team really chippy. They been jawing with every team and now with Sharpe.

I think they're slowly becoming one of those villain teams.
Yeah they're all like angrier, mouthier, cockier little Bookers. And as far as villain teams go, they're not on their way, they've arrived

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing is Adams looks very similar to that, except he's like 40 pounds bigger and 25 years younger, and 8 inches taller.

Unless Sharpe is into martial arts or something, and he might be, I don't think it would have ended well for him with Adams.

You do understand Shannon Sharpe was an NFL player and Steven Adams is an NBA player. We’re talking about two complete different levels of physicality on a daily basis.

The fact you seen Adams run up and stop 5 feet away and wait for everyone to get in between tells you everything you need to know.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skip & Shannon know exactly what they’re doing with their constant ludicrous behavior/takes.

They’ve both bashed the Grizz plenty before the on court incident. Sharpe is lbj’s butt puppet

The altercation changed the outcome of the game. The grizz were up and ended up losing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do understand Shannon Sharpe was an NFL player and Steven Adams is an NBA player. We’re talking about two complete different levels of physicality on a daily basis.

The fact you seen Adams run up and stop 5 feet away and wait for everyone to get in between tells you everything you need to know.

Right it tells me Adams was playing in a game where he had to be careful he didn't get a technical, an ejection or a suspension if he went too far. And Sharpe is a private citizen who probably doesn't have to worry about his job suspending him since what he did helps ratings.

Adams is 25 years younger than Sharpe too.

He's widely considered the strongest player in the NBA. If Sharpe were 29 too I might think differently.

I should add I wish Brooks had gone over there, I'd like to see him get his butt whipped by Sharpe, can't stand Brooks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right it tells me Adams was playing in a game where he had to be careful he didn't get a technical, an ejection or a suspension if he went too far. And Sharpe is a private citizen who probably doesn't have to worry about his job suspending him since what he did helps ratings.

Adams is 25 years younger than Sharpe too.

He's widely considered the strongest player in the NBA. If Sharpe were 29 too I might think differently.

I should add I wish Brooks had gone over there, I'd like to see him get his butt whipped by Sharpe, can't stand Brooks.
Brooks does whatever it takes to win and he often comes up big in the biggest moments. That said, he's been one of my least favorite players since his time at Oregon. He's one of the few players that I just don't think I could cheer for even if he was on my team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brooks does whatever it takes to win and he often comes up big in the biggest moments. That said, he's been one of my least favorite players since his time at Oregon. He's one of the few players that I just don't think I could cheer for even if he was on my team.

Admittedly I've never forgiven him for the game winner against UCLA when he was at Oregon.

But I also vividly remember him intentionally tripping Curry multiple times and of course the infamous cheapshot on GP2 in the playoffs last year

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose