2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironic that Draymond brought it up but Warriors players complaining about no call on Ben Mathurin for grabbing and holding Steph Curry's leg. Curry was visibly mad about it and had a lengthy discussion with Mathurin. Draymond said he was yelling at the ref to call a foul and couldn't believe they didn't.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ironic that Draymond brought it up but Warriors players complaining about no call on Ben Mathurin for grabbing and holding Steph Curry's leg. Curry was visibly mad about it and had a lengthy discussion with Mathurin. Draymond said he was yelling at the ref to call a foul and couldn't believe they didn't.

It's the best defense I have seen played against Curry.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I disagree. He is extremely talented offensively, but is not motivated to play defense and is overall selfish.

He is really a poor man's Luka.

I always find it interesting how some players who are selfish non team players are idolized like Iverson and Luka, and others are constantly attacked like Trey. I guess a lot of it just comes down to likability and style points.
Trust me iverson wasn’t a non-team player. He was all about winning.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I won’t say that Mathurin had anything other than bad intention, but if a dude was literally standing over me I might grab his leg too to avoid getting stepped on or kicked.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In Philly he was all about winning but he started checking out when he went to Denver and was completely checked out in Detroit and Memphis. He was older then but he played his way out of the league at 34. I know he was an All-Star despite poor play but that was popularity rather than talent.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ehhh, he was super competitive and really wanted to win but he wanted to win on his terms. He was the king of ball hogs and more than once quit on a team because he was asked to come off the bench. I think it's fair to say he wasn't a team player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On this particular play, this is how you guard Doncic. Murray does a good job of playing position defense and staying down.

Unfortunately, the referees have to cooperate.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
On this particular play, this is how you guard Doncic. Murray does a good job of playing position defense and staying down.

Unfortunately, the referees have to cooperate.

And yet it still results in a foul.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NBA's double standard for stars keeps getting worse and worse.

In a year where the NBA is supposedly cracking down on carrying and traveling Ja Morant is still doing this.

Meanwhile, even bothering to defend Luka is seemingly illegal, hell you can do your best to get out of his way and you're still likely to get called for a foul if he misses. Giannis gets similar treatment.

Why don't any of our stars get the benefit of the doubt? Is it Sarver? Is it the petulance of some of our players (probably getting mad because the refs hate Sarver in a self perpetuating cycle?) I dunno. But it sucks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet it still results in a foul.

It does result in a foul but I think this is how you guard Doncic. Stay low on his dribble, play position defense and don't bite on fakes.

Have to hope the referees don't bail him out. This was without another defender running at him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NBA's double standard for stars keeps getting worse and worse.

In a year where the NBA is supposedly cracking down on carrying and traveling Ja Morant is still doing this.

Meanwhile, even bothering to defend Luka is seemingly illegal, hell you can do your best to get out of his way and you're still likely to get called for a foul if he misses. Giannis gets similar treatment.

Why don't any of our stars get the benefit of the doubt? Is it Sarver? Is it the petulance of some of our players (probably getting mad because the refs hate Sarver in a self perpetuating cycle?) I dunno. But it sucks.
To be fair, Cam Payne carries almost just as much and gets away with it to, and he is not a star.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Either you call traveling or carrying or just don't call it basketball anymore.
Not sure I agree. It is a pretty hard call to make unless you are watching in slow mo. I think overall they are doing a good enough job.

I would rather players get away with it from time to time than have them call it enough to where players ball handling has to change. Do you realize how hard it would be for Morant to change his style of play, he has been dribbling like that so long it is second nature to him, and if you took that away from him he would be a lot less exciting player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Cam Payne carries almost just as much and gets away with it to, and he is not a star.

Oregon has a PG named Will Richardson who literally picks the ball up puts both hands on it and then dribbles again. IN their game with UCLA on Sunday I thought Mick Cronin was going to get kicked out he kept screaming at the ref what does he have to do before you call it. They called him for travelling 3 times.

I think the NBA is clearly going after walks, with good reason guys like Jordan Poole do it over and over, but it seems like the emphasis on the carry isn't really being acted on.

It's impossible to defend a guy when he picks the ball up like that and then dribbles again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In Philly he was all about winning but he started checking out when he went to Denver and was completely checked out in Detroit and Memphis. He was older then but he played his way out of the league at 34. I know he was an All-Star despite poor play but that was popularity rather than talent.
I discount his older seasons. Iversons game was predicated on speed. Pure unadulterated speed. The reason it seemed like he was selfish was the fact that oftentimes his team simply couldn’t keep up with him. The only time I ever saw anyone keep up with him was the lone season he played alongside Victor page at Georgetown. That was fun watching those two fly up and down the court together. When iverson got older he didn’t know how to throttle down, despite not having the tremendous speed advantage any longer. It made him, frankly, a pretty poor ball player at that juncture.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr