2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who may be unaware, Mike Budenholzer was born in Holbrook, Arizona.

I'm not sure if he would be a better head coach than Monty Williams if it came to that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who may be unaware, Mike Budenholzer was born in Holbrook, Arizona.

I'm not sure if he would be a better head coach than Monty Williams if it came to that.
Yeah I had no idea till we courted him a few years ago. Until then I didn't think anyone got out of Holbrook. I think he's a solid coach but he's another one that might be a great hire as a top assistant (if we stay with Monty).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had no idea till we courted him a few years ago. Until then I didn't think anyone got out of Holbrook. I think he's a solid coach but he's another one that might be a great hire as a top assistant (if we stay with Monty).

It's sad a lot of the old Route 66 was replaced by the interstate highway system. Many towns have shriveled up to a skeleton of what they used to be.

Holbrook is one of those towns. It hosts the Navajo County seat, the county government, county fair and a railroad track runs through it. It is also near The Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. I don't know what else to say.

It's hard to see Mike Budenholzer being an assistant coach under Monty. I doubt he would be an improvement as a head coach.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's hard to see Mike Budenholzer being an assistant coach under Monty. I doubt he would be an improvement as a head coach.
Well, he sure pantsed Monty in the Finals when we played them.

Raindog

Reaction score
It's more like the Suns didn't have an answer for Giannis, Portis and Jrue Holiday.
It seemed to me that the Budenholzer and the Bucks adjusted after losing the first two games, while Monty did... Monty stuff.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad a lot of the old Route 66 was replaced by the interstate highway system. Many towns have shriveled up to a skeleton of what they used to be.

Holbrook is one of those towns. It hosts the Navajo County seat, the county government, county fair and a railroad track runs through it. It is also near The Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. I don't know what else to say.

Love Route 66. We have driven nearly all of it from Chicago to Santa Monica except for the tiny stretch in Kansas. We took off at nearly every brown “Historic Route 66” sign so we could drive on the original roadways. So much history and fun.

Love Holbrook and the Navajo County Fair. Our friends just stayed at the Teepees up there. We have been to the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert many times. Great memories.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seemed to me that the Budenholzer and the Bucks adjusted after losing the first two games, while Monty did... Monty stuff.

How exactly did they adjust? I'm curious. The games seemed pretty consistent from what I recall. The only difference was how Holiday pressured CP3 more. Outside of that, it was the players who simply played better and hit more shots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought Giannis was coming off an injury in the Finals. The Suns had no answer for him when he got healthy and Saric was lost due to an ACL injury in the first game.

I still remember Jrue Holiday stripping Devin Booker on a crucial play. Bobby Portis played good for the Bucks as well. The Suns always seem to lack enough length at power forward.

Btw, where have the Suns been recently without Monty, not that I don't think a coaching change may be needed.

Raindog

Reaction score
How exactly did they adjust? I'm curious. The games seemed pretty consistent from what I recall. The only difference was how Holiday pressured CP3 more. Outside of that, it was the players who simply played better and hit more shots.
They pounded the ball inside more, but with not just Giannis, but Lopez and Portis, too. Heck, even Middleton started bullying the Suns in the paint. They knew the Suns couldn't counter punch with Ayton literally the only guy who could defend the post.

Of course, it didn't hurt that NBA refs are always (ALWAYS) going to favor the team that attacks the basket more aggressively, especially in the playoffs. Which is something that Monty still seems oblivious about to this very day.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's more like the Suns didn't have an answer for Giannis, Portis and Jrue Holiday.

Stop calling for Monty. Bud clowned him.

Once they started picking up Paul full court and getting the ball out of his hands it was over. Monty never adjusted.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Hockey coaches are the only ones who skate on thinner ice than NBA coaches.

Soccer.

Leicester City wins the Premiere league, with 5000-1 preseason odds, the biggest upset in British soccer history... not even a third of the way into the next season they fire their manager.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soccer.

Leicester City wins the Premiere league, with 5000-1 preseason odds, the biggest upset in British soccer history... not even a third of the way into the next season they fire their manager.
Yeah, and I have never really understood that. It seems to be soccer coaches have the LEAST amount of control over play on the pitch. Running time, minimal substitutions, minimal ability to call plays... Maybe I am missing something.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the ASU board too.

Complicated but Michigan C Hunter Dickinson just committed to Kansas after being in the transfer portal for literally weeks. He picked Kansas over Kentucky and is reportedly getting a 2 year 4 million dollar NIL. The oddity here is why Kentucky was trying so hard to get him.

Kentucky has Aaron Bradshaw, one of the top C recruits in the country committed, and they have Oscar Tshiebwe likely to come back using his Covid year because he has a massive NIL. the problem is Tshiebwe wants to play the 4 not the 5 and so UK has to have a 5. So what they have Bradshaw right?

Well one of the worst kept secrets around is that Bronny James is going to commit to USC, in fact he probably already has they just haven't made it public. And apparently James and Aaron Bradshaw are friends, and LeBron is trying to get Klutch Sports to donate big NIL money to USC to pay Aaron Bradshaw to abandon UK and go to USC. Bradshaw has also talked about playing some 3 at UK but the primary reason UK was recruiting Dickinson so hard is they're afraid they're going to lose Bradshaw to USC and if they do, they think Tshiebwe might also change his mind and go pro.

Apparently LeBron wants Bronny close to home so instead of just sending him to UK to play with Bradshaw there, he wants Bradshaw to go to USC, who would presumably let him play a position other than the 5 since they already have 2 C's, one of whom is a potential NBA first rounder, Vinche Iwuchukwu.

So Bron isn't content with picking and choosing who HE plays with in the NBA, he's apparently trying to recruit a roster for his son to play at USC with.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I posted this in the ASU board too.

Complicated but Michigan C Hunter Dickinson just committed to Kansas after being in the transfer portal for literally weeks. He picked Kansas over Kentucky and is reportedly getting a 2 year 4 million dollar NIL. The oddity here is why Kentucky was trying so hard to get him.

Kentucky has Aaron Bradshaw, one of the top C recruits in the country committed, and they have Oscar Tshiebwe likely to come back using his Covid year because he has a massive NIL. the problem is Tshiebwe wants to play the 4 not the 5 and so UK has to have a 5. So what they have Bradshaw right?

Well one of the worst kept secrets around is that Bronny James is going to commit to USC, in fact he probably already has they just haven't made it public. And apparently James and Aaron Bradshaw are friends, and LeBron is trying to get Klutch Sports to donate big NIL money to USC to pay Aaron Bradshaw to abandon UK and go to USC. Bradshaw has also talked about playing some 3 at UK but the primary reason UK was recruiting Dickinson so hard is they're afraid they're going to lose Bradshaw to USC and if they do, they think Tshiebwe might also change his mind and go pro.

Apparently LeBron wants Bronny close to home so instead of just sending him to UK to play with Bradshaw there, he wants Bradshaw to go to USC, who would presumably let him play a position other than the 5 since they already have 2 C's, one of whom is a potential NBA first rounder, Vinche Iwuchukwu.

So Bron isn't content with picking and choosing who HE plays with in the NBA, he's apparently trying to recruit a roster for his son to play at USC with.
That’s just gross