2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ice Trae is a cancer.

Ringer did a podcast on this. He just refuses to play ball. It’s his way or no way. Guys apparently don’t like playing with him either

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawks have fired McMillan, per Woj.

Ice Trae is a cancer.

Ringer did a podcast on this. He just refuses to play ball. It’s his way or no way. Guys apparently don’t like playing with him either
Wow. If it's true that Trae is a Primadonna? Better long term move for Nate to move on.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ice Trae is a cancer.

I've said this a few times. I was a huge Trae fan when he was in college and dreamed of trading the draft rights to Doncic in the hopes of getting Young and JJJ (or Ayton if he fell). But what I've heard the past few years has convinced me we dodged a bullet not going that route.

And I'd love to have McMillan here as our lead assistant. I'm not sure I'd want him long term as a Head Coach (don't have a clue about his interpersonal skills) but it would be nice to have someone of his caliber in the wings and in the meantime maybe he can light a fire under Ayton while straightening out our defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said this a few times. I was a huge Trae fan when he was in college and dreamed of trading the draft rights to Doncic in the hopes of getting Young and JJJ (or Ayton if he fell). But what I've heard the past few years has convinced me we dodged a bullet not going that route.

And I'd love to have McMillan here as our lead assistant. I'm not sure I'd want him long term as a Head Coach (don't have a clue about his interpersonal skills) but it would be nice to have someone of his caliber in the wings and in the meantime maybe he can light a fire under Ayton while straightening out our defense.
I wonder how many more shots a coach like McMillan gets. Hawks were his third go round. He got one Hawks team to the ECF and was he the coach of any of those Pacers teams that got there back to back with Paul George? Portland teams cut literally cut off at Brandon Roy’s knee, IIRC.

EDIT: forgot he coached Seattle too in his first stop. And he wasn’t coach of those really good Pacers teams at the beginning of the 2010s.

So… 16 years, 1 Conference Title round.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many more shots a coach like McMillan gets. Hawks were his third go round. He got one Hawks team to the ECF and was he the coach of any of those Pacers teams that got there back to back with Paul George? Portland teams cut literally cut off at Brandon Roy’s knee, IIRC.

EDIT: forgot he coached Seattle too in his first stop. And he wasn’t coach of those really good Pacers teams at the beginning of the 2010s.

Probably multiple. Just like the Suns did with Cotton later on, there are many teams looking for a coach to mentor, teach until the team is ready to contend.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It seems to me that he's one of those coaches that turns teams around initially but eventually falls flat. I suspect he's similar to Thibs in how he wears thin on his players but maybe without the front office conflicts. I know when he was fired at Portland it was because players like Felton and Aldridge had supposedly stopped playing for him.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
The sheer joy in the replies being expressed by Atlanta fans is hilarious

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Good. This won’t work.
Yeah..I wouldn’t want Westbrook at this point in his career. as you get older you have to be a shooting threat to remain relevant. And today’s nba doesn’t have much tolerance for players that can’t hit jumpers of some sort. The clippers are still good if Leonard stays healthy and if good Paul George shows up in the playoffs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh good grief no as an assistant. Don't want that "head coach in waiting" scenario again.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh good grief no as an assistant. Don't want that "head coach in waiting" scenario again.
I'm not sure he's the right choice long term for Head Coach and he's kind of shown that already. But he'd be perfect as an interim if the need arose and this team just hasn't been the same since Green left.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hawks appear focused on hiring Quin Synder.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quinn Snyder seems to be a good guy and quality coach. I hope he's smart enough to steer clear of Atlanta unless they've guaranteed him Trae will be dealt before he gets fired. They have good pieces and DeJounte could take over the PG role right away if they dealt Trae elsewhere for value. I imagine they could work a deal with the Knicks or some other team that wants a "star". If they still want to move Collins they could swap Trae and Collins for Randle, Brunson, and Barrett this summer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What an astounding play:

Reminds me of 90s basketball, the kind of slow motion shot that would end up on the NBA on NBC reel that opened their broadcast each night.

Embiid is a boss.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I refuse to give a **** about the Hawks.
I don't care if Pat Riley and Phil Jackson had a baby raised in a mountain cabin by Popovitch specifically to coach the Hawks.
They are going nowhere with Trey Young as the "Star". And I for one couldn't be happier for them.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What an astounding play:

Reminds me of 90s basketball, the kind of slow motion shot that would end up on the NBA on NBC reel that opened their broadcast each night.

Embiid is a boss.
It was a good block and Embiid is great. But I’m more happy it’s on Jah. Someone needs to put Memphis in their place.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm
Quinn Snyder seems to be a good guy and quality coach. I hope he's smart enough to steer clear of Atlanta unless they've guaranteed him Trae will be dealt before he gets fired. They have good pieces and DeJounte could take over the PG role right away if they dealt Trae elsewhere for value. I imagine they could work a deal with the Knicks or some other team that wants a "star". If they still want to move Collins they could swap Trae and Collins for Randle, Brunson, and Barrett this summer.
maybe they deal Murray. That would be a good pick up for a cp3 heir.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah and it has to hurt a little since the Clippers looked to have that game won several times in regulation and OT's.
I don’t understand the Clippers. They just totally got discombobulated at the end of the game. Not having a true PG and getting settled down at the end of the game ultimately cost them. 25 turnovers despite 175 points scored. That’s your ballgame.

Fox and Monk were awesome too. Sacto still struggles mightily defensively but that was a big win down the stretch for them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand the Clippers. They just totally got discombobulated at the end of the game. Not having a true PG and getting settled down at the end of the game ultimately cost them. 25 turnovers despite 175 points scored. That’s your ballgame.

Fox and Monk were awesome too. Sacto still struggles mightily defensively but that was a big win down the stretch for them.
Yeah and despite the game going to double OT, because of foul trouble and eventually fouling out, Sabonis only played 31 minutes. And I can't help but wonder why Monk isn't a star, he sure plays like one every now and then.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah and despite the game going to double OT, because of foul trouble and eventually fouling out, Sabonis only played 31 minutes. And I can't help but wonder why Monk isn't a star, he sure plays like one every now and then.
He’s got Sixth man of the year potential to me. But not a great defender and can be streaky shooting the ball. But he’s got a unique skill set once he gets going.