2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot picture this working out well for the Lakers. Granted, they are not giving up much, but Westbrook seems like a terrible fit there.

It's going to be interesting...

If Westbrook could just improve his shot selection he is an asset - but he has never seemed to be able to do that.

Curious to see what kind of team they can surround their big 3 with, that will be pretty important.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Westbrook in LA would be dangerous. That trade keeps THT in LA....that's a BIG plus for them. Harrell didn't play much in the playoffs and Kuz didn't play as well this year as in the past. With Westbrook, JeBronie and AD all who can pass and cut well to get open. Dangerous 3 headed monster.....as long as they stay healthy

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting...

If Westbrook could just improve his shot selection he is an asset - but he has never seemed to be able to do that.

Curious to see what kind of team they can surround their big 3 with, that will be pretty important.

They desperately needed shooting and they just dumped 2 of their best shooters for a guy who shoots a ton and shoots terribly.

If a fair chunk of Westbrook's minutes come with LeBron resting then he can elevate their second unit but I don't think lineups with LeBron and Westbrook together will be an improvement over what they were running out there last year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just flat out don’t see Westbrook working in LA he’s super ball dominate and so is Lebron neither of those guys play off the ball or are good enough shooters to just spot up.

he’s Next up on the Lebron fall guy list cause nobody ever blames Lebron these days

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just flat out don’t see Westbrook working in LA he’s super ball dominate and so is Lebron neither of those guys play off the ball or are good enough shooters to just spot up.

he’s Next up on the Lebron fall guy list cause nobody ever blames Lebron these days

The Lakers are all about acquiring stars. Now they have one more. Whether it works are not is another matter.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's always possible but I don't see that happening. He is not just a shooter. The guy almost averaged 12 assists per game. That is unreal. If his scoring average goes down or Lebron's or AD's because there is not enough balls to ago around? Someone will benefit if he is still dishing out around double digit assists. Someone is going to get those assists from him. The Lakers will be better barring injury.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man...the 76ers are smoking crack asking for something like this. Everybody knows they want to unload him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Man...the 76ers are smoking crack asking for something like this. Everybody knows they want to unload him.

76ers should be the ones sending assets to offload Simmons. My 14 year old nephew has a better jump shot than he does...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They know there is still only 1 basketball allowed on the floor at one time, right?

Westbrook and LeBron is not a good combo, especially at this point in their careers. It will provide some interesting spats in the media though, so I'm all for it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can almost see that being ok for the Warriors without the future picks. Philly won't get that good of an offer anywhere else, either with or without the future picks.

They are one of the few teams who have no use for Wiseman but I'd think finding a third team to give up a pick or two for him shouldn't be too hard.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How the hell the Lakers made this deal without giving up any future number ones in the mix is unreal.
Westbrook is owed $91 million over the next 2 seasons. And the Lakers gave up all their picks and swaps for years to NO for AD.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can almost see that being ok for the Warriors without the future picks. Philly won't get that good of an offer anywhere else, either with or without the future picks.

They are one of the few teams who have no use for Wiseman but I'd think finding a third team to give up a pick or two for him shouldn't be too hard.

makes no sense you flat out cannot play Draymond and Simmons at the same time

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
So every franchise (like the Lakers) who think that NBA dominance is their God-given right are apparently obsessed with having a "big three" even though that seems to be working less well lately. Apparently, it doesn't even matter if team chemistry and depth go into the crapper to make it happen.

This is very likely a big mistake by the Lakers.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So every franchise (like the Lakers) who think that NBA dominance is their God-given right are apparently obsessed with having a "big three" even though that seems to be working less well lately. Apparently, it doesn't even matter if team chemistry and depth go into the crapper to make it happen.

This is very likely a big mistake by the Lakers.

its going to be very interesting to see how the Lakers fill out that roster with scraps.

how would you like to Trez right now. Took way less to play with Lebron and stay in LA, get misused by your sorry coach now your in Washington

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its going to be very interesting to see how the Lakers fill out that roster with scraps.

how would you like to Trez right now. Took way less to play with Lebron and stay in LA, get misused by your sorry coach now your in Washington

Harrell had a player option unless he gave it up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you trade a player who’s not under contract?

No. Apparently he didn't exercise his option to opt out or he chose to opt in. Whatever it was, he's locked in this season and that will be in Washington.

Although all these deals can't be made official until the 6th of August, I believe, when the new league year starts. So it could fall apart. I don't think it will but ESPN mentioned that it could become a 3 team deal sending Trez elsewhere since Washington doesn't really need him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you trade a player who’s not under contract?

Maybe he is under contract until free agency starts August 2nd-6th?

It's hard to believe Harrell wouldn't opt out of a $9,720,900 contract.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Maybe he is under contract until free agency starts August 2nd-6th?

It's hard to believe Harrell wouldn't opt out of a $9,720,900 contract.
It was announced earlier today that Harrell opted in… I will try to hunt down the tweet.