2021 NBA Free Agency and Trades

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA Free Agency negotiations starts August 2nd and free agent signings can begin August 6th, 2021.

Also trades have started in anticipation of the 2021 draft on July 29th and will be active through the off season.

Put on your seat belts!

Here are some key dates to remember.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the top rated NBA free agents.

I wish the Suns could find a way to bring Richaun Holmes back.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read 2 decent rumors earlier on Reddit about Philly offering Ben Simmons for Fred VanVleet, OG Anuoby, and Toronto's 1st but Toronto turned it down. Apparently Philly initiated talks.

Also read Lakers may try to get Bledsoe in a deal for Kuzma and Gasol. Memphis wants picks but LA doesn't have any to part with.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here are some of the top rated NBA free agents.

I wish the Suns could find a way to bring Richaun Holmes back.

he’s #1 on my list but he’s going to get paid more than we can offer. He’s matured and cleaned up his act since he left here and good for him.

I would love Nerlens Noel I think he fits what we do perfectly. I think he more in our pay range

Derozan would fit so perfect here. Our entire system is based on the mid range and having two guys who could create there own shot would be amazing in our offense. Him and Book could go back and fourth giving each other rest. Now he would have to take a huge pay cut to come here. But I think it’s what does he want at this stage of his career. I think this is the best fit for him. If he goes to LA I think it would be a big mistake for him fitwise and he’s going to be the fall guy when Lebron comes up short

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he’s #1 on my list but he’s going to get paid more than we can offer. He’s matured and cleaned up his act since he left here and good for him.

I would love Nerlens Noel I think he fits what we do perfectly. I think he more in our pay range

Derozan would fit so perfect here. Our entire system is based on the mid range and having two guys who could create there own shot would be amazing in our offense. Him and Book could go back and fourth giving each other rest. Now he would have to take a huge pay cut to come here. But I think it’s what does he want at this stage of his career. I think this is the best fit for him. If he goes to LA I think it would be a big mistake for him fitwise and he’s going to be the fall guy when Lebron comes up short
You're probably right but I'd gladly take back even the version of Holmes that we parted ways with. I understand why we did it, I write it off to the damage Ryan McD did to this organization. Our reputation was so soiled we couldn't afford even a minor pot infraction. But he was a perfect backup for us and I liked his attitude and thought he and his mom were great for the valley.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Robin Lopez would be my first non-Holmes target. Big dude, good low-post game for some emergency bench scoring, and has a little bit of an edge/ toughness to him. Suns need an enforcer, big backup off the bench, and low post scoring. RoLo fits all of this.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robin Lopez would be my first non-Holmes target. Big dude, good low-post game for some emergency bench scoring, and has a little bit of an edge/ toughness to him. Suns need an enforcer, big backup off the bench, and low post scoring. RoLo fits all of this.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're probably right but I'd gladly take back even the version of Holmes that we parted ways with. I understand why we did it, I write it off to the damage Ryan McD did to this organization. Our reputation was so soiled we couldn't afford even a minor pot infraction. But he was a perfect backup for us and I liked his attitude and thought he and his mom were great for the valley.

but I wasn’t just him it was Josh Jackson, Ariza with his clown show the whole culture needed to be torn down. By all accounts the Suns were really toxic team bonding by running trains on Instagram models. It needed to be butned

JJ and Monty with Paul have put a whole new culture in place where this is Booker and Aytons first year with real legit leadership and guidance. I think Holmes and his new outlook would thrive here but like I said I think he’s going to get paid by someone with more money

And yeah his mom is awesome

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but I wasn’t just him it was Josh Jackson, Ariza with his clown show the whole culture needed to be torn down. By all accounts the Suns were really toxic team bonding by running trains on Instagram models. It needed to be butned

JJ and Monty with Paul have put a whole new culture in place where this is Booker and Aytons first year with real legit leadership and guidance. I think Holmes and his new outlook would thrive here but like I said I think he’s going to get paid by someone with more money

And yeah his mom is awesome

I know it was, that was the reason for the McD reference. He was responsible for the toxic atmosphere. And like I said, I understood why they felt is was necessary to make a clean break from all of the problems. Personally I think just dumping Jackson was all that was necessary but none of us were in the locker room so who knows?

But I agree Holmes, will likely pick up an offer that's out of our league.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nerlens Noel would be a nice addition. Money is going to be tight so that will limit what the Suns can do.
There are always a few players that end up taking low end contracts because the money dries up. The Suns should scoop up some of these players.

I can't see anyway the Suns can afford DeRozan as much as I might like.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nerlens Noel would be a nice addition. Money is going to be tight so that will limit what the Suns can do.
There are always a few players that end up taking low end contracts because the money dries up. The Suns should scoop up some of these players.

I can't see anyway the Suns can afford DeRozan as much as I might like.

Noel would be a great addition but I think we're gonna have to poney up the full MLE for three years to get him. Very very curious to see how/who we spend our money on this off-season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noel would be a great addition but I think we're gonna have to poney up the full MLE for three years to get him. Very very curious to see how/who we spend our money on this off-season.

Ideally I'd like to get players like Bobby Portis, Nerlens Noel or Richaun Holmes for the MLE.

I think the Suns might need to look for bargains in free agency for around the minimum outside of the Mid-Level Exception (around $10 million) and the Bi-Annual Exception (near $4 milllion).

Trey Lyles might be a minimum type player. I wouldn't mind having Frank Kaminsky back for the minimum.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric for Nance works salary-wise...

i’d make that deal. I appreciate what Dario did for us the last two years, but we’ve got a legit two year window if Paul comes back and Dario ain’t gonna do squat in one of them. Nance isn’t the answer at PF or back up Big, but he’s a springy guy who could be a contributor.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i’d make that deal. I appreciate what Dario did for us the last two years, but we’ve got a legit two year window if Paul comes back and Dario ain’t gonna do squat in one of them. Nance isn’t the answer at PF or back up Big, but he’s a springy guy who could be a contributor.

Nance is closer to a power forward than anyone we have on the roster.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I thought we could send #29 on draft night.

I’ve been trying to confirm that but so far nothing. If they draft for another team I think they’d have to wait until the new league year to trade the player’s rights (Aug 6th).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to confirm that but so far nothing. If they draft for another team I think they’d have to wait until the new league year to trade the player’s rights (Aug 6th).

That's correct. I believe the trade for Cam Johnson was done that way. The downside is it typically makes the drafted player ineligible for our Summer League team because of when the deal can be finalized and when SL starts. Other than that though its pretty common.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hopefully everyone pining for him can move on now. I get that he was a really good backup to Ayton but he wants to get paid and start, resigning here was never realistic.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully everyone pining for him can move on now. I get that he was a really good backup to Ayton but he wants to get paid and start, resigning here was never realistic.

It's hard to believe Holmes will get this type of money but more power to him if he does. This definitely puts him out of the Suns price range.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave