2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um no.

Does nobody understand our cap situation?

We have Oubre and Holmes to resign this offseason. That is going to be minimum $25 million a year commitment.
We have to pay Ayton between 10 -12 million per year for the next three years. We are going to get another high draft pick most likely that will be minimum 5-6 million a year
We have TJ signed for the next 3 years at about 12 million per, Booker at about 30 million per. Bridges is another 4 million

So for our top 7 players - we are going to have a salary commitment of around 96 million - The entire cap is likely 105 million or so.

We have Melton to resign after next year - if we can even find the cap room because we don't have full bird rights, we have Jackson to resign the year after that, then we have Ayton and Bridges to sign after that.

There is no way in hell we can take on Wall's contract unless Sarver wants to pay luxury tax within a couple years. Newsflash - he doesn't.

If we could squeeze wall's contract in, you can forget get any free agents other than min contract guys for the next 4 years.

WALL is not getting traded anywhere unless the cap goes up 20 million or more unexpectedly. No team is stupid enough to take on that contract unless they have equally horrendous contracts they are unloading in the process. Anderson's contract does not qualify - it expires after next season.
2019 lux tax is projected to be $132 million. I don't think Sarver will have any problem being over the cap but under the lux tax.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do that in a heartbeat. Too bad the Wizards wouldn't.

Of course they would. In a heartbeat. A known cancer with serious chronic injury issues that's going to be making 47 million in 2023? No team in their right mind would make the Suns side of this deal. I hope, I really really really hope, that means the Suns wouldn't make that deal either but I just don't know.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The fact is that the Suns aren't going to get a free agent point guard anywhere near as good as Wall this summer, and there are no max-level power forwards available in free agency next summer (unless you count Kevin Durant as a power forward, and there is zero chance of him coming to the Suns), which means that the Suns' cap space will be useless.

Trade for Wall, draft a power forward with the top 5 pick the Suns are going to get, perhaps sign a vet back-up point guard for the mid-level exemption for insurance in case Wall has trouble coming back from injury, and then let the team develop.

In my opinion, that is a better plan than throwing $25 million a season at the likes of Ricky Rubio or counting on Ja Morant to be a legitimate starting NBA point guard at any time during his rookie deal and filling the power forward hole with an early second round pick or some cheap veteran signing that the Suns could just as easily make under the trade-for-Wall scenario.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2019 lux tax is projected to be $132 million. I don't think Sarver will have any problem being over the cap but under the lux tax.

Yeah - and Wall's contract is 40 million.

Add 40 million to $96 million for the top 7 and what does that come out to - $136 million. Plus you have to fill out the other 6-7 roster spots. Am I the only one that can do math?

I don't think they actually can even add Wall without dumping Oubre. So fine take off 15 million for Oubre - still going to hit the luxury tax within two years due to contract escalations.

It's just a stupid idea.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D’Lo Russell with 40 and the GW. Hard to believe they let him go.

I tend to agree with Dinwiddie signing a reasonable extension of 3 years at $34 million.

The Nets are now 24-23 with their rebuild.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
What is the deal with Lonzo's shooting? We cannot have a PG that can't shoot or hit FT's.

Shooting can be fixed though. Is there hope him, is it a mental thing, form...He probably feels a lot of pressure in LA, being his dream team and the spotlight LA brings.

He might feel less pressure here and there is no where to go but up. if he can be had at a reasonable cost might be worth a shot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the deal with Lonzo's shooting? We cannot have a PG that can't shoot or hit FT's.

Shooting can be fixed though. Is there hope him, is it a mental thing, form...He probably feels a lot of pressure in LA, being his dream team and the spotlight LA brings.

He might feel less pressure here and there is no where to go but up. if he can be had at a reasonable cost might be worth a shot.

If the Suns acquire Ball he should be looked at as a temporary fix.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The thing with Ball is that he has some areas where he is outstanding. (I understand this is an offensive statement to a couple posters, but imho his passing, vision, size, and defense are incredibly enticing.) He also has areas where he needs a LOT of improvement.

I'd rather get a pg who is special and hope he fixes his flaws than get one who is okay and hope he suddenly becomes special. (Of course, I'd like a guy who is special without huge flaws more...but they're really hard to get.)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The thing with Ball is that he has some areas where he is outstanding. (I understand this is an offensive statement to a couple posters, but imho his passing, vision, size, and defense are incredibly enticing.) He also has areas where he needs a LOT of improvement.

The question with Ball is whether his shot can be improved. I seriously doubt it. I don't know that I've ever seen form that bad. He may get a little better at shot selection, but if this is his ceiling for accuracy, then he'll never be a good player.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The question with Ball is whether his shot can be improved. I seriously doubt it. I don't know that I've ever seen form that bad. He may get a little better at shot selection, but if this is his ceiling for accuracy, then he'll never be a good player.

I mean...he was a good shooter in college. He shot 55% from the floor and 41% from 3. He had (and has) horrible form and wasn't exactly a scoring machine, but I don't think it's impossible he figures it out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It has improved.

Last season he shot .440 efg this year he is shooting .488. His 3pt percentage has gone from .305 to .329

There is no reason to think this is his ceiling - at all. Practice makes almost everyone better at least up to a point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. For some reason these people believe he will only play in LA. It's idiotic in my opinion.

those people probably don't live in LA where he's pretty much REVILED. Dude was billed as a savior... has been pretty much a bust and more than anyone on that team, probably relishes starting over somewhere the lights aren't quite as bright.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It has improved.

Last season he shot .440 efg this year he is shooting .488. His 3pt percentage has gone from .305 to .329

Shot selection, plus having James as a teammate. His FT%, which is a more reliable indicator of pure shooting accuracy, has gone down.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson