2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
aren't we 8 years into the time line? We are the worst team in the NBA.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
we have 2 needs, a PG and PF. If we can hit a home run with a PG without losing assets we can target a PF in the draft. This is what it is going to take to put this team in future contention.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You don't think this team would be winning with Williamson and Tyus Jones?

How many games, 35?

All I've seen Williamson do is dunk. I'm sure he has other skills, but that's not what has people excited. Yet the list of electrifying dunkers who washed out of the league quickly is a long one. Maybe Williamson will be great, but it's a long, long way from being a forgone conclusion.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we have 2 needs, a PG and PF. If we can hit a home run with a PG without losing assets we can target a PF in the draft. This is what it is going to take to put this team in future contention.
So. Why isn't TJ meeting our need at pf?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
TJ is significantly better than Ced. Let me say it again. There are only two players in the league averaging 50-45-90 shooting--Steph Curry (a GUARD) and TJ Warren.

This might be the way forward. I think the best lineup for the Suns right now is Canaan, Booker, Bridges, TJ, and Ayton. The bench will get crushed, but this starting lineup isn't god awful.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think so. Their record isn't an accident. They aren't good.
You act like the young guys have no room for growth. You don’t think a 20 year old Ayton will improve? That a bridges who just got his first start won’t improve? That a booker that’s able to concentrate more on scoring won’t be more effective? Cmon, e methinks you’ve gone to an extreme here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How many games, 35?

All I've seen Williamson do is dunk. I'm sure he has other skills, but that's not what has people excited. Yet the list of electrifying dunkers who washed out of the league quickly is a long one. Maybe Williamson will be great, but it's a long, long way from being a forgone conclusion.
He’s averaging 10 rebounds per game and has shown an ability to handle the ball in traffic as well as provide some level of weak side rim protection. You may only see the dunks because that’s obviously what gets the pub, but he’s a special player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, I would really like to know the answer to that. 3J Warren, to me, is an ideal PF for this team.
I dont think so. With Ayton proving not to offer much (yet) in the way of rim protection I would prefer a rebounding and shotblocking PF. Don’t get me wrong, at this point we don’t have much choice but to insert warren, but I think he’s far from “ideal.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't recall anyone saying that, in fact the general notion was that it was motion type offense and that the point guard is typically not too important in such offenses. Phil Jackson's triangle, which is said to be a variety of motion, certainly didn't stress the point. But it sounds like Igor has a different view. When I watched his national team playing he had Dragic playing the point, and who thrived at it, but he's an very experienced PG.

I never understood the idea this "motion offense" didn't need a legit distributor to make it go.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It does. They just chose to go with Ayton instead of Doncic, and couldn't pry one loose from elsewhere.

Errntknght

Reaction score
TJ playing PF now and then is one thing, but I think he'd be out with injuries a lot if he had to bang with the PF's every night - he seems to gather plenty of injuries, including mysterious ones, as it is.

Maybe some assistant coach could undertake the job of running a PF committee - analyzing their strengths and weaknesses and the same for the PFs their facing each night so as to protect TJ. Committee members could include: TJ, Holmes, JJ, Bridges, and minor contributions from the guys you'd rather not play at all: Bender, Ariza, Anderson. It could drive our opponents a bit nuts trying to figure what the heck we're doing.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
You act like the young guys have no room for growth. You don’t think a 20 year old Ayton will improve? That a bridges who just got his first start won’t improve? That a booker that’s able to concentrate more on scoring won’t be more effective? Cmon, e methinks you’ve gone to an extreme here.
I can't wait to see 3rd year Ayton and Bridges!

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont think so. With Ayton proving not to offer much (yet) in the way of rim protection I would prefer a rebounding and shotblocking PF. Don’t get me wrong, at this point we don’t have much choice but to insert warren, but I think he’s far from “ideal.”

I think we're looking for more of a stretch 4 than a shot blocking, rebounding 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard