2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Wall was really a star the Wizards would be able to deal him for a good return but I can't think of another All-Star except Kevin Love that he might be able to bring back in a trade. Think about it, there isn't an All-Star from either conference whose team would gladly swap their All-Star for John Wall. Throw in how he's a Rich Paul client and that's the final strike, no thanks.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Terry Rozier is not good, massively overrated because of 1 good month last year.

He is yet another undersized shooting guard masking as PG. No real PG skills, poor overall shooter.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If Wall was really a star the Wizards would be able to deal him for a good return but I can't think of another All-Star except Kevin Love that he might be able to bring back in a trade. Think about it, there isn't an All-Star from either conference whose team would gladly swap their All-Star for John Wall. Throw in how he's a Rich Paul client and that's the final strike, no thanks.

John Wall IS a star, how can anyone try to dispute that.

The reason he is hard to deal is purely his contract. Who the hell cares if he is a Rich Paul client.

Rich Paul is a good agent who gets the max for his clients.

It is not even an issue since John Wall won't be a free agent until 5 seasons from now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Terry Rozier is not good, massively overrated because of 1 good month last year.

He is yet another undersized shooting guard masking as PG. No real PG skills, poor overall shooter.

Then don’t look at Simmons’ trade proposals in his replies.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
John Wall IS a star, how can anyone try to dispute that.

The reason he is hard to deal is purely his contract. Who the hell cares if he is a Rich Paul client.

Rich Paul is a good agent who gets the max for his clients.

It is not even an issue since John Wall won't be a free agent until 5 seasons from now.
John Wall is a star player. He is also locked up. Yes the contract is massive, but its just sticker shock. We are presently spending $36 million on Ariza and Anderson. So whats the dif? Gambo can gripe all day about how bad that contract is, but what good does it do us to sit with our money? If we could actually trade a little salary in order to get him, it would be even better. Some think that Washington would GIVE Wall away right now to get out from under that deal. If that is so, then do a straight up Anderson for Wall deal. Throw in the Milwaukee pick (its basically a second rounder anyway). Wall is owed something like $150 million over the next four years, but we would have to pay Anderson $36 million over the next two anyway.

My only concern are the reports that Wall is some sort of locker room cancer. That I do not know about very much.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
the Wizards were not better without Wall last season

who exactly are the talented veterans on Washington? Ian Mahinmi? Austin Rivers?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Wizards were not better without Wall last season

who exactly are the talented veterans on Washington? Ian Mahinmi? Austin Rivers?

You're funny. Sure, I was talking about those two scrubs not Beal or Oubre or Porter or Howard or the rest of the team minus the two you mentioned. I should have said decent veterans instead but compared to our roster, those guys are all talented veterans.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I haven't watched enough to know about Wall specifically, but what is the going rate for 18ppg and 9ast?

If we could grab this guy in a salary dump keep all of our young core players and our pick why not do it.

We have to roll the dice and over pay for someone, at some point, lets get this thing moving.

After all, we are talking about next years draft a month into the season, "again", the team is getting booed out of the arena by the few fans left in the stands and most importantly Booker is frustrated. I'm sure he isn't interested in a three year plan....Management needs to grow a pair and make a move.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
We are not going to trade for Wall. His 15% trade kicker clause is a nightmare for anyone trying to acquire that nightmare

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are not going to trade for Wall. His 15% trade kicker clause is a nightmare for anyone trying to acquire that nightmare

I'm not sure how that trade kicker works but I've read elsewhere that it's a penalty Washington would be responsible for. But regardless, I think I'm done talking about Wall. I really just don't think we could be that stupid. And if we are, then we deserve the miserable future that trade would consign us to.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might Wall just be a guy who desperately needs a change? If we could do a straight salary dump plus the Milwaukee pick, would it be worth it? i don't know. That contract is MASSIVE.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
John Wall is a star player. He is also locked up. Yes the contract is massive, but its just sticker shock. We are presently spending $36 million on Ariza and Anderson. So whats the dif? Gambo can gripe all day about how bad that contract is, but what good does it do us to sit with our money? If we could actually trade a little salary in order to get him, it would be even better. Some think that Washington would GIVE Wall away right now to get out from under that deal. If that is so, then do a straight up Anderson for Wall deal. Throw in the Milwaukee pick (its basically a second rounder anyway). Wall is owed something like $150 million over the next four years, but we would have to pay Anderson $36 million over the next two anyway.

My only concern are the reports that Wall is some sort of locker room cancer. That I do not know about very much.

There’s a difference between a “star player” and an “all-star in the East”. He’s made the all-nba team one time (third team) and that was two knee procedures ago. His contract is unmovable.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
John Wall is a player that relies on his athleticism and physical tools more than any other player in the league and he just does not have it anymore.

I’ve watched Wizards games this season and after the dozen injuries and surgeries he’s had since entering the league, he just does not have the same explosiveness and athleticism he once did.

He’s still an upgrade for us at the PG position but no where near worth his contract which would make him a top 10 paid player in the NBA while he is no where close to a top 10 player in the NBA.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I completely agree.

He is a worse version of Bledsoe.

We will regret big time trading much of anything for this guy.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's a huge negative value IMO, I wouldn't touch him even if they sweetened the pot with an unprotected first and it only cost us cast offs.

Sarver has made some big mistakes but they would all pale in comparison if we went after this guy. John Wall is the problem to solutions we don't have.

I’ve never heard this before but I really like this line.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmm. I get the no's to Wall. Maybe he is a player that is declining more than I realize. I have been intrigued with Rozier since this time last year. I am just not sure how good he really is. TJ McConnell is a low ceiling, low risk possibility. I am just not sure where to go from here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wall worries me primarily due to contract.

Rosier worries me that he’s a flash in the pan who experience success based on surrounding talent.

I like McConnell for the right price.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How is Wall's defense? I'm familiar with his name and numbers but haven't seen him play much.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How is Wall's defense? I'm familiar with his name and numbers but haven't seen him play much.

If the effort is there, he is a lock-down defender.

When he is healthy and in good mood, he is still a game-changing superstar. His contract, injuries, this season's shot-selection and demeanor on the court are getting scary.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the effort is there, he is a lock-down defender.

When he is healthy and in good mood, he is still a game-changing superstar. His contract, injuries, this season's shot-selection and demeanor on the court are getting scary.

Well sign me up then. This team needs talent, and what they're doing instead is (a) drafting projects who suck and (b) overpaying veterans who suck worse.