2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who is your preferred sarting backcourt combo of who we have at present?

Probably Booker and Jackson. If Booker can't play, then Canaan and Jackson.

Frankly, I still think we are better off signing a Mario Chalmers or Ramon Sessions and starting him at point guard than any internal option.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about Jamal Crawford.

Signing Crawford doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless the Suns have a trade in the works and he would fill a vacancy.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
great signing

I brought up Crawford in June. He is most importantly a great teammate and another veteran. Everything he gives us on the court is a bonus.

We have too many scrubby young guys on the bench that are not ready to play in the NBA yet and frankly a bunch of them are likely to never be ready.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I could live with Crawford as a stop gap point guard...IF he has anythjng left in the tank (and at age 38, I'm not so sure that he does)...

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh, Crawford would be great if we're looking for a 6th man instant offense off the bench, but as the starting PG? I'm not sure he's the right fit. He'd also be the best PG on the team instantly, so...

Crawford is done. We don't need another SG who only scores anyway. If you saw Crawford last year then you would have seen he's no longer at 6th man levels. He's the 8th or 9th in the rotation at best.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Maybe we can trade for Rozier too since the Celtics couldn't agree to an extension he is almost 100% gone next season.

A lot of neutral fans seem to think Milwaukee pick for Rozier is fair value, maybe throw in Bender and Harrison.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually agree with Gambo.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
great signing

I brought up Crawford in June. He is most importantly a great teammate and another veteran. Everything he gives us on the court is a bonus.

We have too many scrubby young guys on the bench that are not ready to play in the NBA yet and frankly a bunch of them are likely to never be ready.

He hasn't been signed and he sucks. He's done. We have vets, we don't need vets that can't play, especially on the defensive end.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crawford is done. We don't need another SG who only scores anyway. If you saw Crawford last year then you would have seen he's no longer at 6th man levels. He's the 8th or 9th in the rotation at best.

Maybe players like Daniels and Reed get included in a trade. This is where it makes some sense to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this on azcentral from Greg Moore.

Suns interim general manager James Jones talked about Jamal Crawford in an interview with Arizona Sports 98.7 FM on Friday.

“I like Jamal. I know him personally. He’s a great player, he’s a great guy,” Jones said. “Those are the types of players that we will look towards as we go through the season. More importantly, it’s not even about who potentially could be here or who’s out there. I’m focused on who’s here and we know who those guys are.

“Jamal is a name that — a guy that we’re looking at. He’s someone that we’ve expressed interest in, one of many names.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...wford-free-agent-guard-commentary/1618153002/

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is not signed because he is not interested in just taking any contract he can.

It's ok to be wrong. Everyone else owns up to their mistakes except for you. Backpedaling to claim he's not going to sign anywhere doesn't make sense considering you just said it was a great signing. I'm sure you'll try to spin it somehow, like it would be a good signing or something but it's too late for that. Crawford is also too old to be an asset anywhere. He's played in 18 seasons and could barely get off the bench last year.

Here is your post...

great signing

I guess you wanted to sound smarter than actual NBA personnel by predicting this move but we have no clue if there is a move happening. He might be signing a front office job or as an assistant coach. At his age and based on his play last year, I doubt the Suns are interested in what he could bring to the team on the court since we have a logjam at SG. Plus we would need to cut 2 more players instead of 1 to make room for him. It's unlikely he signs as a player. If you watched him play last year you would have seen he's not the player he once was. He's also a terrible defender. It would make no sense to sign him as anything but a coach. Perhaps he can work with Okobo, Melton, and Reed.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wtf are you talking about, he could have signed with other teams earlier in the offseason that is what I am saying.

You claimed nobody was interested in signing him.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wtf are you talking about, he could have signed with other teams earlier in the offseason that is what I am saying.

You claimed nobody was interested in signing him.

He didn't sign anywhere and definitely not with the Suns. You saw the tweet about him in the arena and said "Great signing". What signing was that? Quit sidestepping and trying to redirect things.

Nobody has been interested according to various reports. Regardless of that, you said it was a good signing and that's why I replied to you initially because HE DID NOT SIGN. Beyond that, he sucks but you refuse to admit that. You think he'll help us on the court though? Did you think Dudley would do that same? Crawford is no different at this stage only he's not a good defender and he also isn't a PG, which is what we need.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems most teams know which players they will keep on their roster but the NBA preseason wraps up tonight if there are lingering doubts.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we can trade for Rozier too since the Celtics couldn't agree to an extension he is almost 100% gone next season.

A lot of neutral fans seem to think Milwaukee pick for Rozier is fair value, maybe throw in Bender and Harrison.

I mean if that would get it done it would have been done. I would be shocked if the suns have not already offered that.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He didn't sign anywhere and definitely not with the Suns. You saw the tweet about him in the arena and said "Great signing". What signing was that? Quit sidestepping and trying to redirect things.

Nobody has been interested according to various reports. Regardless of that, you said it was a good signing and that's why I replied to you initially because HE DID NOT SIGN. Beyond that, he sucks but you refuse to admit that. You think he'll help us on the court though? Did you think Dudley would do that same? Crawford is no different at this stage only he's not a good defender and he also isn't a PG, which is what we need.

As if him being personally at our arena isnt a clear signal that we are signing him...

Crawford himself said that he had offers but is not going to sign for the sake of signing any contract because he does not want another situation like Minnesota.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This would be a terrible idea. How is Crawford more of a PG than Daniels? If the Suns are that desperate, they should bring back Barbosa, who is about to turn 36.