2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone saying Beverley is a one trick pony is missing his second trick . . . 3 point shooting. He’s a career 38% 3 point shooter on some volume (I believe 4+ shots per game). He’s definitely not a penetrator or facilitator, but pre-injury at least he was a premier 3-D at the pg position. Don’t know if he still is post-microfracture, but he did possess two crucial elements we are seeking. Alongside a creative 2 guard and potentially creative sf (JJ hopefully) that’s not a terrible skill set to have.

That's a good point. I'm not sure how many of his open looks or shots selection was also due to the fact that he played with Harden. But even in his limited amount of games last seaon he shot 40% with the clips. Remember when he got into Lonzo's head to start off the season lol. Love that about him.

Another thing could be possible reason to bring him in...chemistry? We do have Anderson and Ariza who he also played with. I'm not sure how they all got along.

So we just need Booker to be Harden or better.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not averse to bringing in Beverley, at least not like Phrazbit is. However, I don't really see the overwhelming evidence that we would be any better off than we are now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
By "Summer League Backups", I mean those not even good enough to start in Summer League. In other words, other than his okay numbers in his first game, Okobo could not hold his own against players who likely won't make an NBA roster and are G League level. I'm not saying that this means Okobo won't ever amount to anything, just that he is nowhere near ready to contribute at the NBA level now, and that he needs at least 2-3 years of development, including at least a year in the G League first, to have any hope of getting there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to bringing in any veteran PG that might help the Suns including Beverley. The Suns need to shop around though and let the Clippers know there are other options. The Clippers are not going to pay Beverley $5 million which is the cost they would have to pay to keep him. They can't keep every PG on their roster.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Settling for what we currently have at point guard reminds me of the Suns settling for Mirza Teletovic and Jon Leuer at power forward a few years back. I think we all remember how that turned out...

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Joe Kleine and Shays.....? Shline or something to that effect.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Settling for what we currently have at point guard reminds me of the Suns settling for Mirza Teletovic and Jon Leuer at power forward a few years back. I think we all remember how that turned out...
Geez again with the alarmist attitude! We’re not “settling”. Waiting till next summer for a good PG is not “settling.” Those two guys were also part of a non-rebuilding roster with virtually no promise whatsoever.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Geez again with the alarmist attitude! We’re not “settling”. Waiting till next summer for a good PG is not “settling.” Those two guys were also part of a non-rebuilding roster with virtually no promise whatsoever.

On the other hand, after missing the post-season for eight consecutive years, an experienced role-playing Point Guard would be a better move than just waiting for a good one for another year. Especially on a team whose stars are so young.

The guys have convinced me that assists will come from other positions as well, but that doesn't omit having a Point Guard with NBA experience. Especially when the GM announced prior to the draft that it was our second highest priority.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
On the other hand, after missing the post-season for eight consecutive years, an experienced role-playing Point Guard would be a better move than just waiting for a good one for another year. Especially on a team whose stars are so young.

The guys have convinced me that assists will come from other positions as well, but that doesn't omit having a Point Guard with NBA experience. Especially when the GM announced prior to the draft that it was our second highest priority.
Canaan IS experienced.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Patrick Beverly is not going to get the Suns into the playoffs! If by some miracle they make playoffs it will be because Booker turns into a legitimate Superstar, Ayton looks better than any rookie big man ever, Jackson turns into a borderline all star, Bridges turns into a perfect 3 and D guy, and Bender miraculously find a heart and some cajones. Literally all of these things would have to happen for the Suns to make the playoffs. Patrick Bloody Beverly over Isaiah Canaan isn't going to lead them to the damn playoffs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're right. He is the only one. I'd like to see one other to share the 48 minutes so that won't fall on Booker.
Shaq Harrison. This isn’t rocket science. They’re not great PGs, no question there, but:

1) having just those guys in 2018-2019 is not going to harm or jeopardize Ayton’s growth. If the Suns thought that, they would do a panic trade.
2) The summer of 2019 includes a large number of difference-making point guards, but by all means, tie up assets and maybe even money to bring in another point guard where the cost-benefit does not favor us.

Booker is going to handle the ball. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will realize your antiquated idea of NBA basketball is outdated.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Patrick Beverly is not going to get the Suns into the playoffs! If by some miracle they make playoffs it will be because Booker turns into a legitimate Superstar, Ayton looks better than any rookie big man ever, Jackson turns into a borderline all star, Bridges turns into a perfect 3 and D guy, and Bender miraculously find a heart and some cajones. Literally all of these things would have to happen for the Suns to make the playoffs. Patrick Bloody Beverly over Isaiah Canaan isn't going to lead them to the damn playoffs.
Agreed.

NO stopgap point guard is going to do that. And if they don’t believe that anyway, the only reason for this is that it will help Aytons development, which is a fallacy as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think the Suns are looking for Beverley to get them in the playoffs by his lonesome.

Obviously all the above needs to happen with Booker and the other players you mentioned in order for the Suns to compete for a playoff spot. However, I think Beverley (if healthy) helps them.

There are some other PGs out there that would help the Suns as well. I'm also a fan of Canaan.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns are looking for Beverley to get them in the playoffs by his lonesome.

Obviously all the above needs to happen with Booker and the other players you mentioned in order for the Suns to compete for a playoff spot. However, I think Beverley (if healthy) helps them.

There are some other PGs out there that would help the Suns as well. I'm also a fan of Canaan.

I understand that. Suns are not looking for him to do that, but BC is. Sure, he could help. So could many others, but it's not a significant difference. My point is that no stop-gap point guard will get them to the playoffs. I am talking about guys like Hill and Dragic here, not even an injured Patrick Beverly. Would I rather have Dragic or Hill for a season? Probably! Would they make enough of a difference to make the playoffs? Probably not. We are talking about Patrick Beverly as if though he is a 26 year-old John Stockton, and that's ridiculous. Beverly over Canaan wouldn't add one single win.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that. Suns are not looking for him to do that, but BC is. Sure, he could help. So could many others, but it's not a significant difference. My point is that no stop-gap point guard will get them to the playoffs. I am talking about guys like Hill and Dragic here, not even an injured Patrick Beverly. Would I rather have Dragic or Hill for a season? Probably! Would they make enough of a difference to make the playoffs? Probably not. We are talking about Patrick Beverly as if though he is a 26 year-old John Stockton, and that's ridiculous. Beverly over Canaan wouldn't add one single win.

I'm not expecting the Suns to make the playoffs this coming season but I think with an experienced PG they could make a run at it. I guess I'm not willing to concede another season before the Suns are able to compete for a playoff spot. If the Suns could magically acquire Dragic for a reasonable deal I think they would be competitive.

I guess I'm with BC on this one. Always planning for tomorrow gets old.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Not necessarily looking for a point guard that is going to get this team to the playoffs this year. What we need is a point guard that is not going to cause our young core to go backwards.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm not willing to concede another season before the Suns are able to compete for a playoff spot. If the Suns could magically acquire Dragic for a reasonable deal I think they would be competitive.

I guess I'm with BC on this one. Always planning for tomorrow gets old.

Not planning for tomorrow got us into this mess, IMO. The worst thing we can do right now is to try and do every thing right now. We need a quality point guard. Settling for something less than that is fine as long as it doesn't cost us part of our future.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shaq Harrison. This isn’t rocket science. They’re not great PGs, no question there, but:

1) having just those guys in 2018-2019 is not going to harm or jeopardize Ayton’s growth. If the Suns thought that, they would do a panic trade.
2) The summer of 2019 includes a large number of difference-making point guards, but by all means, tie up assets and maybe even money to bring in another point guard where the cost-benefit does not favor us.

Booker is going to handle the ball. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you will realize your antiquated idea of NBA basketball is outdated.

Where I take issue is with your point #1. We saw last season that having just those guys at point guard very well could in fact harm or jeopardize growth not only of Ayton but of the entire young core. Heck, it caused Booker to take a step backwards last season. And if you propose that Booker carry the lion's share of point guard duties, I think we saw last season just how detrimental that was to his game, and ultimately his health.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agreed.

NO stopgap point guard is going to do that. And if they don’t believe that anyway, the only reason for this is that it will help Aytons development, which is a fallacy as well.

Why is that a fallacy? We not only saw the impact on Ayton in Summer League. We saw it in Tucson last season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is that a fallacy? We not only saw the impact on Ayton in Summer League. We saw it in Tucson last season.

I love the word "we", I try to use it often. But you're taking liberties here with that word. You saw! Not, we saw. WE, at least many of us, saw something completely different than what you keep saying "we saw".

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Joe Kleine and Shays.....? Shline or something to that effect.

Schleindale. Danny Shayes, Joe Klein and Waymon Tisdale. Of course, that three-headed center was surrounded by Charles Barkley, A.C. Green, Dan Majerle and Kevin Johnson, with Richard Dumas, Wesley Person and Danny Ainge coming off of the bench, and even still that weakness at center in part caused us to blow a 3-1 lead to the Rockets in the second of back to back seasons. Of course had Danny Manning not blown out his knee...

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I love the word "we", I try to use it often. But you're taking liberties here with that word. You saw! Not, we saw. WE, at least many of us, saw something completely different than what you keep saying "we saw".

My mistake. What did you see this summer and in Tucson last year?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not planning for tomorrow got us into this mess, IMO. The worst thing we can do right now is to try and do every thing right now. We need a quality point guard. Settling for something less than that is fine as long as it doesn't cost us part of our future.

This is not what I'm saying at all. It may be catchy but that's it.

The Suns can upgrade their PG position this coming season and still add a PG or another key player in 2019 free agency. I'm not for overspending for a PG position this season but I think there are PGs that will help the Suns now that will become available.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson