2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're not very bright, are we? Beverly for free is a questionable decision. Paying for him is absurd.
Second round picks? I don't have a problem with that. Beverly is a good complementary player and a very good defender. He looked good along side Harden. So as long as he is healthy I am ok with it. Is he healthy?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second round picks? I don't have a problem with that. Beverly is a good complementary player and a very good defender. He looked good along side Harden. So as long as he is healthy I am ok with it. Is he healthy?

I wouldn't have said anything if it said we refused to give up a first round pick. But not wanting to give up a first, that's weak IMO? Besides, I just don't like dirty players EVEN if they help us win. And Patrick isn't just Manu-reckless, he's outright dirty, even more so than Bowen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wouldn't have said anything if it said we refused to give up a first round pick. But not wanting to give up a first, that's weak IMO? Besides, I just don't like dirty players EVEN if they help us win. And Patrick isn't just Manu-reckless, he's outright dirty, even more so than Bowen.
That is quite an accusation. What has he done to make you hate him so much?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The problem with Beverly is that he's not a capable passer, as his career assist and turnover numbers show (though at least he is not historically bad in that department, statistics aside, the way Harrison is). Also, coming off of microfracture surgery, I can't see him recovering his old foot speed necessary to maintain his skill as a solid defender. For one or more second round picks, I guess he's worth a flier, as he is light years better than Harrison and Canaan and light years more NBA ready than Okobo and Melton. That being said, there remain plenty of options that would be better than Beverly, and there better not even be a scintilla of thought of giving up anything of more value than future second round picks for the likes of Beverly.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
First round pick for Patrick Beverly?

LO freaking L... :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Im getting the feeling the Suns are in win at any cost mode with some of the moves they are making. I'd take Beverley for a second round pick(s). I'm not saying he is the right choice though. However, the Suns cannot afford not to address the PG position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Im getting the feeling the Suns are in win at any cost mode with some of the moves they are making. I'd take Beverley for a second round pick(s). I'm not saying he is the right choice though. However, the Suns cannot afford not to address the PG position.

+1

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm fine with a second rounder for Beverly. Anything else is freaking insane.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He had microfracture on his knee November 2017 so his health is questionable at best. Definitely not worth parting with a 1st round pick for. If the Clippers think they can get anything for him they should give up hope of that since he hasn't played a game since his microfracture surgery last year. He's also 30 years old now but he did have the microfracture surgery done when he was 29, if that really makes a difference.

The Suns should know better than to trade anything of value for a player coming off of microfracture surgery. Beverly doesn't have the youth Amare did when he had his surgery.

I haven't heard anything about that surgery improving in the decade or so since Amare had his also. I know you hear of it less but I thought that had to do with players and team doctors avoiding that as much as possible.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's coming off microfracture surgery, he also can't pass.

I haaaaaaaate this idea. It's committing to a player that I expect will be bad, with zero upside at the cost of more assets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should start concentrating on obtaining other point guards that might be available so they do not give up too much for Beverley. Hopefully they have not locked onto him. I guess the Suns have offered a 2nd round pick.

Please McDonough, keep Melton and do not offer a 1st round pick.

According to Shams the Suns view Beverley as a complimentary player to Booker like he complimented Harden in Houston.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if they were looking at Beverly as any more than someone who might be waived soon. None of McD's deals leak early. The only move he made that people knew was coming was drafting Ayton and that was a no brainer. He still managed to surprise everyone with the Bridges trade that day though. The Ariza signing, Dudley trade, Holmes trade, talking with Reddick, Knight & Chriss for Anderson & Melton. All of them happened out of nowhere. Some might have guessed we'd move Chriss or something like that but no one knew to what team or what the return would be. Beverly being mentioned almost makes me think he's not being considered at all. That's a smoke screen for another deal, possibly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams said the Suns have been willing to give up a 2nd round pick for Beverley and they are targeting him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It seems every team wants a first round pick from the Suns. If they do go this direction, they should search for a PG that may have a future with the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pelican have methodically strengthened their PG position by adding Elfrid Payton and Jarrett Jack.

The Jack signing was announced today. His contract is not guaranteed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams said the Suns have been willing to give up a 2nd round pick for Beverley and they are targeting him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It seems every team wants a first round pick from the Suns. If they do go this direction, they should search for a PG that may have a future with the team.

that's probably because we've shown so much ineptitude in easily giving them up over the years. Again, previous terrible decisions coming back to haunt this GM.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's probably because we've shown so much ineptitude in easily giving them up over the years. Again, previous terrible decisions coming back to haunt this GM.

This has been true in the past except McDonough has tightened the belt considerably in trading away draft picks. Trading away the future Miami pick was a bit of a surprise though.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're one of the few teams with an extra 1st round pick and having such an obvious hole at PG other teams can play chicken with the Suns. What do the Suns want to more, that Bucks pick or to have an NBA quality PG to start the season? That's why I haven't been happy with how they've gone about the deals they have made. At least when we had Knight we could bluff and say he was our starter. That seemed reasonably, even if it wasn't an attractive option.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harrison, Bridges, Melton, Ariza, Anderson, and Okobo are the D-Backs game tonight. I'm not sure if we can read anything into seeing Suns players together though since Knight seemed to be in most photos and videos of the team before he was dealt. I guess it's safe to assume these guys aren't going anywhere though since they've all been acquired this offseason with the exception of Harrison.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Melton has signed with the Suns yet as they need clear room to sign him.

The Suns need to call the Clippers or other teams demand for a first round pick. Someone will blink before the season starts when the rosters are trimmed.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They're both better than any point guard we currently have on the roster...
Payton is terrible. If team success is any factor, Payton was probably the worst player on the team last year .

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a good summation on why the Suns can wait on Beverley if they really want him.

While the Clippers know the Suns need a point guard, the Suns know the Clippers don’t need Beverley. Los Angeles drafted Kentucky point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and scoring guard Jerome Robinson this offseason. They join a group of guards that also includes Avery Bradley, Milos Teodosic, Jawun Evans, Sindarius Thornwell and Lou Williams.

That makes Beverley, who is coming off microfracture and meniscus surgery on his knee, expendable and easily tradable with an expiring and non-guaranteed $5 million owed to him this coming season.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1667...-starting-point-guard/?show=comments#comments