2007 MLB Draft

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Also, I would love to pick up Matt LaPorta.

I know we need pitching help and are pretty set at 1st with CoJack and Carter, but a talent like LaPorta might be too good to pass up.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also, I would love to pick up Matt LaPorta.

I know we need pitching help and are pretty set at 1st with CoJack and Carter, but a talent like LaPorta might be too good to pass up.

He sounds alot like Carter. If we could get a great SP at 9 then I would take LaPorta w/ one of our supplemental picks. Wasn't there some controversy w/ him last year where he stock really fell, maybe bonus demands?

We could use pretty much everything since most of our talent is in the bigs now but I'd say SP, 1B, and 3B are what we need to add to our system.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone concerned the D-Backs will likely be going away from what's been so successful for them the last few years? More high schoolers, less college players? At the very least I hope they stick with the college ranks for pitchers and catchers.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone concerned the D-Backs will likely be going away from what's been so successful for them the last few years? More high schoolers, less college players? At the very least I hope they stick with the college ranks for pitchers and catchers.

What makes you think that they will be going away from college players?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes you think that they will be going away from college players?

Because Mike Rizzo's in DC getting ready to turn the Nationals into a farm system wonder? Lots of changes in the scouting system even though it was a strength. I didn't get it.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not going to happen.

Josh Byrnes is a "money ball" type GM. That kind of GM prefers college players. Go take a look at the Red Sox's drafts of the years Byrnes was there. They took mostly college players. That's not to say Byrnes doesn't have a different philosophy, but everything we know about him to this point indicates the Dbacks will once again be drafting mostly college players.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Mike Rizzo's in DC getting ready to turn the Nationals into a farm system wonder? Lots of changes in the scouting system even though it was a strength. I didn't get it.

As nathan pointed out above, it is not only Rizzo that had that philosophy. Our GM does as well.

Rizzo left for a promotion - what is wrong with that?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't the choice of the Diamondbacks to make changes to their scouting/farm development. One of the few drawbacks of having great personnel is that there's the risk of them getting a promotion elsewhere.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the D-Backs did this and we didn't hear about it, but I would have liked to have seen the D-Backs offer him a generous promotion within the organization, groom him to be a GM some day. Offer him the same position with the D-Backs.

Allison may not be a huge departure from Rizzo in terms of approach, but there are already signs there's been a shift somewhat. Maybe that's because of available talent. More likely, it's just a slight philosophical switch. This is from the Republic on May 11:
It remains to be seen how the Diamondbacks' drafts will change under Allison. Rizzo made no secret his preference for college players, though he didn't shy away from taking high school players when the situation dictated it.

Club scouts say they have seen more high school players than in previous years, and while they may end up selecting more prep players, it could just be an adjustment to the current climate: The prevailing notion is that this year's draft is heavy in high school pitching.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a really weak year for drafting college talent, and especially college pitching. It wouldn't surprise me if they are just playing to the draft's strengths this year.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I do not know if this has been mentioned, but there is an article on the MLB website that gave a mock draft (Obviously this article is a little out dated since it still includes Scherzer).

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070530&content_id=1994433&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: David Price, LHP, Vanderbilt University
Still the same. There will be some talk about Matt Wieters still being a possibility, but there's no reason to change things now. Price threw a complete-game gem in the SEC tournament with some key Rays staffers on hand.
Last week's projection: Price

2. Kansas City Royals: Rick Porcello, RHP, Seton Hall Prep (N.J.)
This has been the guy, and continues to be the guy, the Royals want. The only thing that could change this at the last minute is a financial issue, but as of right now, there's no reason to assume that there will be one, even if Porcello is a Scott Boras advisee.
Last week's projection: Porcello

3. Chicago Cubs: Josh Vitters, 3B, Cypress HS (Calif.)
Back to reality this week. I switched things up here so it would make more sense later, but it's time to start truly trying to line things up. While the Cubs may like Jarrod Parker's arm, everything points to them going with a bat. That bat is Vitters, still considered to be the top high school hitter in the country by many. The Cubs have been on him all along and he's done nothing to have them look elsewhere.
Last week's projection: Jarrod Parker

4. Pittsurgh Pirates: Matt Wieters, C, Georgia Tech
Call this the "this is what they should do in this situation" pick. The Pirates would still be pleased it if the Cubs went in a different direction and Vitters were here. But he won't be, at least not in this projection, so they have to look elsewhere. Pitching doesn't make sense, though they have been following Daniel Moskos closely. What they do need is an impact bat and one that might be able to get to the big leagues quickly. The reality is that it's unlikely Pittsburgh ownership would sign off on a Boras pick like Wieters, but the switch-hitting backstop fits for a number of reasons. The Pirates don't pick again until No. 69 (if Scherzer re-enters), so they could afford to spend a little more with that top pick. And even though there are some split opinions on Wieters, he's still the best bet among college bats to get to the Majors in a hurry and have an impact at a premium position.
Last week's projection: Vitters

5. Baltimore Orioles: Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State
Rumors continue that they might make a big splash, and if Wieters did fall to here they wouldn't pass him up. I still have a hard time believing that ownership would sign off on that, and the college lefties' names keep coming up in conversations about the Orioles. Detwiler has been mentioned the most in this spot, so I'm not going to change it, even though he struggled through just three innings in his conference tournament before leaving with a split fingernail. Although that was his last start of the year, it shouldn't impact his draft status and it won't impact my projection.
Last week's projection: Detwiler

6. Washington Nationals: Max Scherzer, RHP, No school
I've said all along if he re-entered, it would make too much sense not to put him here. After all, it was Nationals assistant GM and VP of baseball operations Mike Rizzo who drafted him a year ago with the Diamondbacks. Scherzer's thrown well in indy ball and Rizzo does not shy away from negotiating with Boras. It would give the organization a splash in terms of showing baseball the team is willing to spend on the future.
Last week's projection: Wieters

7. Milwaukee Brewers: Mike Moustakas, SS/3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
The Brewers have liked Moustakas' bat all along, but there was the question of whether they would be able to afford his price tag (he's a Boras advisee). Milwaukee is definitely doubling back on several players they've looked at before, like Detwiler and Canadian right-hander Phillipe Aumont, who's still a possibility for this spot. But it might turn out that Moustakas isn't quite as unsignable as people perceived. The Brewers will undoubtedly do their homework on the signability factor before taking the plunge, but here's saying they will.
Last week's projection: Daniel Moskos

8. Colorado Rockies: Daniel Moskos, LHP, Clemson
This would be the arm the Rockies would prefer to get with this pick, though they'll continue to discuss both members of the Chatsworth duo (Moustakas and Matt Dominguez). They're also looking at Aumont as a possibility, and they did have success with a Canadian pitcher when they took Jeff Francis a few years back. That being said, if the advanced arm is there, they'll take him.
Last week's projection: Aumont

9. Arizona Diamondbacks: Phillipe Aumont, RHP, Ecole Du Versant Gatineau, Quebec
Now going under the assumption the Diamondbacks do not sign Scherzer, it's hard to figure out what direction they'll go in. On one hand, they've got some extra money they won't be giving Scherzer, so if Moustakas were to be around, it would make sense. On the other hand, would they really want to go to battle again with Boras after the Scherzer thing didn't pan out? At least in this projection, it's not a concern with Moustakas off the board. If they decided to go with a college arm, Arkansas lefty Nick Schmidt could go here, but instead Arizona will go with the 6-foot-7 projectable right-hander in Aumont, who continued to impress with a pair of outings in the Dominican recently.
Last week's projection: Moustakas

10. San Francisco Giants: Nick Schmidt, LHP, University of Arkansas
With three picks in the top 30, I suggested the Giants would take one high schooler and two college players with the picks, but projected they'd take the high schooler (Josh Smoker) first because he might not be around when they picked later on. That could still be the case, either with Smoker, Aumont or Parker. But there were some heavy hitters in to see Schmidt at the SEC Tournament, including GM Brian Sabean. That's not a guarantee, mind you, but it's a nice clue. It didn't hurt that Schmidt tossed a two-hit shutout after carrying a no-no into the eighth, either.
Last week's projection: Josh Smoker

11. Seattle Mariners: Casey Weathers, RHP, Vanderbilt
It's been generally believed, almost from the get-go, that the Mariners would be looking for an arm at No. 11. A lot of scouts like the arm of Vanderbilt closer Casey Weathers. A senior, he'd certainly be an easy sign. Is this too high in the draft for a reliever to go? Perhaps, but with the M's playing decent ball, the idea of drafting someone who could help the big club out in a hurry might be enticing. Weathers is the best of the college closer lot right now, and could join Brandon Morrow in Seattle's bullpen very quickly.
Last week's projection: Weathers

12. Florida Marlins: Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (Ind.)
There were plenty of Marlins who witnessed Schmidt's tourney gem last week, and if he were around they would be tempted to add an advanced college arm to join the ones in the organization already. But assuming he's gone, they could go with the top prep arm still on the board in Parker, who has wowed many scouts with his stuff and arm strength, even though he is the classic "undersized right-hander." If they want to go bat, it certainly isn't out of the question for them to go with last week's projection, Jason Heyward.
Last week's projection: Heyward

13. Cleveland Indians: Blake Beavan, RHP, Irving HS (Tex.)
Last week, I sided on the bat side of the arm vs. bat debate the Indians might have this year. This week, I've changed gears and gone with the arm. In this case, that's Texas prep star Beavan, who is big, projectable and has power stuff. Think Adam Miller, redux.
Last week's projection: Matt Dominguez

14. Atlanta Braves: Jason Heyward, Henry County HS (Ga.)
Atlanta does like to draft local kids, and they like the high school players, so it could come down to Heyward or Smoker, depending on what direction they wanted to go in. Florida's Michael Main or Matt Harvey from Connecticut is also a possibility here, but in the end, the toolsy Georgia outfielder might be too much for them to pass up.
Last week's projection: Harvey

15. Cincinnati Reds: Kevin Ahrens, 3B, Memorial HS (Tex.)
This one falls under the category of hearing a player's name so much with one team that it's both hard to ignore and hard to not wonder if it's true. There was some talk the Reds would also be interested in Aumont should he slide here, but all of the buzz is that they've been on Houston-area infielder Ahrens all along. He plays shortstop in high school and isn't bad there, but the consensus is that he should move to third where he should profile better both offensively and defensively.
Last week's projection: Ahrens

16. Toronto Blue Jays: Matt Dominguez, 3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
With two picks in the first round, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Jays go with a high schooler with either pick. Logic would say they'd split the picks, but why not defy logic and take two prepsters? The first one will be Dominguez, who didn't seem like he'd be available here in last week's projection. Now he is and he's got an excellent bat-glove combination which sometimes gets lost behind the glare of teammate Moustakas' home run flurry.
Last week's projection: Devin Mesoraco

17. Texas Rangers: Matt Harvey, RHP, Fitch HS (Conn.)
The Rangers would love for Beavan to be around at No. 17 so they could take the local power pitcher. But if the Indians do take him, they will have to look elsewhere. Harvey, once thought of as possibly the top high school arm in the country, has dropped some, but not based solely on talent. He could drop this far because of perceived signability concerns (Boras is his advisor), but the Rangers haven't shied away from Boras guys in the past.
Last week's projection: Beavan

18. St. Louis Cardinals: Jake Arrieta, RHP, Texas Christian University
There was a temptation to put a Boras guy here because the Cardinals can do that, but it didn't make sense to force the issue. That being said, if Andrew Brackman bounces back with a strong regional start later this week, he could very well figure into the picture here. Instead, I'll go with a "safe" pick in Arrieta. He's had an up-and-down season, but he turned in a dandy at UNLV last week and will get a regional start in to give scouts one last look. The Cardinals have enjoyed the Lone Star State in recent drafts and even took a Horned Frog pitcher last year, Brad Furnish.
Last week's projection: Matt LaPorta

19. Philadelphia Phillies: Julio Borbon, OF, University of Tennessee
Every year, the Phillies are associated with the top toolsy, athletic high school position players in the draft class. Granted, they don't always take them -- they nabbed high school pitcher Kyle Drabek in the first round when he slid to them -- but it's not a secret they do like the guys with tools. That could be the reason why Michael Burgess and Kentrail Davis' names come up in association with the team. They could also go with Mesoraco, the on-the-rise catcher from Punxsutawney, Pa. But the possibility of adding Borbon, a leadoff type who's hit with some pop in the past, might not be a bad fit. Borbon only is around here because of an ankle injury that slowed his return and the fact he's represented by Boras. Sure, they've got Michael Bourn just about ready, but you can never have too much at a premium position.
Last week's projection: Michael Burgess

20. Los Angeles Dodgers: Madison Bumgarner, LHP, South Caldwell HS (N.C.)
Like the Braves picking six picks ahead of them, it's widely known the Dodgers like taking high school players. They especially like young arms, and the Dodgers would be interested in any of the high school pitchers mentioned above should they slide. They'd also consider switching gears and going with Dominguez if he somehow were still around. Going on the assumption he won't, there are still some nice prep pitchers to choose from. Tim Alderson from Scottsdale, Ariz., gets mentioned for the first time here, but it's a safer bet to pick a lefty since Los Angeles likes taking them early (Scott Elbert, Clayton Kershaw). That list includes Josh Smoker and Nathan Vineyard from Georgia, as well as Danny Duffy from California, but it may be topped by Bumgarner, who has shown a consistently impressive fastball all season. He doesn't have much in the way of secondary stuff right now, but lefties who can pump it up into the mid-to-upper 90s don't come around all that often, and the Dodgers don't shy away from arm strength guys who can be taught how to throw the offspeed and breaking stuff once they are in the fold.
Last week's projection: Bumgarner

21. Toronto Blue Jays: Devin Mesoraco, C, Punxsutawney HS (Pa.)
The Blue Jays hit the high school jackpot. That's right, you heard me. Toronto taking two prepsters in the first round to join Travis Snider, last year's top pick. Mesoraco could very well be gone even before the Jays pick at No. 16, or they may decide to take him first instead of Dominguez. Whatever the case, there isn't a high schooler who has risen more than Mesoraco, who some have called the best all-around catching prospect in the draft class.

22. San Francisco Giants: Aaron Poreda, LHP, University of San Francisco
Here's the second college guy and one from the team's own backyard. Poreda isn't the typical college lefty and doesn't fit the "pitchability" mold. That being said, he can dial it up to 95 mph and commands the fastball pretty well. His secondary stuff definitely lags behind, and he gave some scouts the sense that he wasn't used to being a dominant pitcher. But those are all things that can be taught and the Giants would be very happy to be his mentor.

23. San Diego Padres: Nick Noonan, SS/2B, Parker HS, San Diego
Another pick from a team's neighborhood. The Padres have had a strong college-heavy bent in recent years, but with Grady Fuson getting more settled, they may not be afraid to change things up a little (they did take some high schoolers early last year). Noonan's bat, from the left side, is his best tool, and he reportedly impressed the Padres brass in private workouts earlier this season. It's unclear whether he'll be able to stay at short, but he could be a very nice offensive-minded second baseman in the future.

24. Texas Rangers: Andrew Brackman, RHP, North Carolina State
Yes, that's two Boras clients for the Rangers, which might be a bit much. That being said, even if the Rangers weren't that thrilled with Brackman, he might be too hard to pass up should he slip this far. Once discussed as a potential top pick, Brackman was throwing 97 mph earlier in the year. But as he racked up more innings than he's ever thrown, the former two-sport star suffered from arm fatigue. That, combined with some outside-of-baseball things he had to deal with, forced him off the mound for a couple of weeks. He's slated to pitch in a regional game later this week. If he's lights out, he might not be here for the Rangers to even consider.

25. Chicago White Sox: Chris Withrow, RHP, Midland Christian HS (Tex.)
The Sox might have the pick of a few high school arms afer taking two college pitchers the last couple of years, from Josh Smoker on the left side to Michael Main on the right. At the same time, both could be gone, though not in this current projection. Even with them around, they might want to take Withrow, the projectable right-hander out of Texas. His dad played pro ball and clearly has taught his son well.

26. Oakland A's: Beau Mills, 3B, Lewis-Clark State
It's no longer easy to pigeonhole the A's into a college pick, what with all the high schoolers they've drafted early the past two years. Picking this late in the first round, they could very well be a "best available player" team, and that includes if one of the high school arms mentioned above falls. If they wanted to go with the "typical" A's pick, they could select UC Riverside's James Simmons. But if Mills, one of the top college hitters in 2007, albeit at a smaller NAIA school, and the son of Red Sox bench coach Brad Mills, is actually around here, they won't hesitate to take him.

27. Detroit Tigers: Tim Alderson, RHP, Horizon HS, Scottsdale
Several teams have been on the Arizona prep right-hander and he could conceivably go anywhere in the latter third of the first round into the sandwich round. While some scouts were concerned with Alderson's unorthodox delivery, he's got command as good as anyone in the high school ranks. He walks almost no one and he's got some pretty good stuff to go along with it. If the Tigers are heavy on high school arms and a Main or Smoker are still here, that could push Alderson down some, but they've been on him all year.

28. Minnesota Twins: Peter Kozma, SS, Owasso HS (Okla.)
The Twins have certainly taken their fair share of high school middle infielders, but there is that old adage that you can never have too much depth up the middle. Kozma came on strong near the end. While he's not toolsy in terms of the wow factor, he does just about everything pretty well. And, unlike many high school middle infielders, he should be able to stay at short long-term. He handles the bat well and has some pop at the plate to boot. His best tool might be his makeup, which could put him over the top and into the first round.

29. San Francisco Giants: Josh Smoker, LHP, Calhoun HS (Ga.)
With a host of teams looking at high school arms, it might be a reach to think Smoker will last this far down. But if he does, the Giants won't hesitate to take him. There's no reason to suggest a slide for Smoker, who I had at No. 10, but sometimes the high school players drop and college players move up as we get closer to crunch time.

30. New York Yankees: Matt LaPorta, 1B, University of Florida
This one almost makes too much sense for it to actually happen. One thing that could keep it from becoming reality is LaPorta going higher than this, a distinct possibility. But the Yankees will need a first baseman soon, LaPorta's bat shouldn't take too much time to get to the bigs, and the Yankees certainly don't mind negotiating with Boras (Ian Kennedy last year, for instance).

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Blake Beavan, Daniel Moskos, Mike Moustakas, Kevin Ahrens, Matt LaPorta and Chris Withrow are the players I'd like to see Arizona take at 9.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
We can all assume that heading into the draft the Diamondbacks are looking strengthen a few positions in their minor leagues, namely left-handed pitchers, the corner infield positions and catcher. The following is a list of players who might be drafted by the diamondbacks in June.

3rd baseman Josh Vitters (Cypress (Calif.) HS)
08/27/89
6'3"
195 lbs.
R/R
Rated as the #5 overall prospect by Baseball America, Vitters has the best power for a high schooler in this draft. In addition, he is one of the most polished hitters in 2007 which gives him a great chance to maintain bat for average and power. The only weakness in Vitters' game is his defense and footwork at the hot corner. His arm rates as an above-average tool.

LHP Ross Detwiler Missouri State
03/06/86
6'4"
175 lbs.
R/L
The #7 rated prospect on BA's list went 4-5 with a 2.22 era in 89 IP for the Bears this winter. Detwiler mixes in three pitches throwing a fastball from 90-94 mph, a curve with good rotation in the 76-78 range, and a change-up that is about average. There is a little concern that his frame will have trouble standing up to rigors of the MLB schedule but that does not keep him from being the second best LHP behind top talent David Price.

LHP Daniel Moskos (Clemson University)
04/28/86
6'1"
200 lbs.
R/L
Considered the third best LHP pitching prospect available to draft, Moskos might be the top reliever of the entire class. In 2007, he went 3-5 with 6 saves and a 2.91 era while appearing in 26 games (starting 9). Coming out of the bullpen, this lefty has been clocked as high as 96 mph while maintaining a consistent speed around 94 mph. His slider is also a plus pitch but his lack of a sound change-up might regulate him to only relief work in the majors.

LHP Madison Bumgarner (South Caldwell HS)
08/01/89
6'5"
220 lbs.
R/L
Number 12 on BA's list, Bumgarner has a fastball that sits at 89-94 mph and exhibits late life with a natural tail. Coming out of high school, this pitcher is extremely raw because he has not found the need to work on secondary pitches with such an effective fastball. A bit of a project, but a tall left-hander with his kind of fastball could be a risk worth taking.

C Devin Mesoraco (Punxsutawney (PA.) HS)
06/19/88
6'1"
195 lbs.
R/R
It isn't just Devin's hitting ability that puts him at #16, but his total package. I am not one to promote drafting a high school catcher yet this kid has it all. In addition to hit ability to hit for power and average, Mesoraco can also play well defensively. His arm is a cannon and his receiving skills are far beyond that of your usual high school catcher. Something else to note is that many scouts admire his leadership on and off the field. He is expect to sign for slot money which would make him even more appealing to our organization. The only knock against this player is the concern over his medical history as he is just one year removed from Tommy John surgery.

RHP Phillippe Aumont (Ecole Du Versant (Gatineau, Quebec))
01/07/89
6'7"
225 lbs.
R/R
An inexperienced pitcher who oozes potential with such a big frame, Aumont heads into the draft as the #19 prospect. Commanding his 94+ mph fastball very well, this Canadian righty has one of the higher potentials in the draft but is a relatively large gamble. He lacks a solid change-up and exhibits an inconsistent slider. Still, he should be one of the top pitchers selected.

LHP Nick Schmidt (Arkansas)
10/10/85
6'5"
230 lbs.
L/L
The ace of Arkansas' team finds himself as the #23 rated prospect. So far his year has not been a disappointment as he has gone 10-3, with a 2.85 era. In 117 IP he has given up 82 hits and 50 BB while striking out 107. Pitching around 91 mph, Schmidt does not show the velocity expected from a large pitching frame. His main weakness is his control and lack of a third pitch, but that could be ironed out in the minors over time. Whoever drafts this player will get a big, tall, workhorse lefty. Maybe a potential Doug Davis clone?

SS/3rd Todd Frazier (Rutgers)
2/12/86
6'4"
220 lbs.
R/R
One of the better corner infielders in college, the #24 prospect had a monster year for Rutgers (.381 AVG, .766 SLG, 22 HR, 64 RBI, and 25 SB). There is no doubt that Frazier can rake but there are questions about his position. His hands rate as an average tool and his range is slightly below-average which leads some to believe that 3rd base would fit him better than SS. Regardless, Frazier is a big and athletic infielder with some legitimate power.

RHP Andrew Brackman (NC State)
12/04/85
6'10"
230 lbs.
R/R
No one has taken a farther fall before the draft than Brackman. Once considered the best right-handed pitcher in the draft, he has tumbled to #28 because of questions regarding his arm. When he is right, the massive pitcher threw from 92-97 mph and shows an average knuckle-curve and change-up. Prior to coming down with a tired arm, he was still considered a project despite pitching in college and had a decent year (6-4, 3.81 era, 96 IP, 92 H, 27 BB, and 84 K). However, now with medical issues and Scott Boras as his agent teams are starting to back off and many mock drafts have him falling out of the first round all together.

RHP Tim Alderson (Horizon HS (AZ))
11/03/88
6'7"
210 lbs.
R/R
Not found on the top-30 rankings from Baseball America, Alderson is a local talent that might sneak into the first round. Showing an 89-93 mph fastball, a potential plus-curve, and decent change-up, he has dominated high school players in Arizona. Despite having a great pitcher's frame and the potential for three-plus pitches, Horizon's ace has scared off a number of scouts due to his unorthodox delivery.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Blake Beavan, Daniel Moskos, Mike Moustakas, Kevin Ahrens, Matt LaPorta and Chris Withrow are the players I'd like to see Arizona take at 9.

I agree with a few of those but my overall hope for the draft would be for us to grab either C Devin Mesoraco, RHP Blake Beavan, LHP Ross Detwiler, or RHP Phillippe Aumont with the 9th pick. I do not like taking a high-profile reliever out of the college ranks not only because of past failures (see Craig Hanson and Ryan Wagner) but because a quality reliever can be found in the later rounds too.

Matt LaPorta certainly has a ton of hitting ability but he hasn't displayed that he can do much else. He is still a great prospect but better ones can be found at #9. If he is there at #50 or 61 then he would be a great pick. However, that is rather doubtful. A more likely pick might be Todd Frazier who would be a steal at either supplemental first rounder.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All the mock drafts I've seen have us taking a P, and all have been HS P's. Aumont, Beaven, Harvey, Parker should all be there at 9 unless a miracle like David Price dropping takes place. I don't know if there will be any power hitting corner INF's in the supplemental and 2nd rounds available to us but Alderson who I've been pimping would be a great addition.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I mistaken, or did I recall scouting reports that some project Moustakas as a catcher? I thought I read that.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Am I mistaken, or did I recall scouting reports that some project Moustakas as a catcher? I thought I read that.

None of the reports I have read mention him as a catcher. Most of them list him as a 3rd/SS player. I really do not think it matters anyway; we would have to be very lucky for him to fall to us.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
A new mock draft from MLB.com

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: David Price, LHP, Vanderbilt University
Still the same. They won't officially say it before draft day, but it's hard to imagine them going in a different direction.
Last projection: Price

2. Kansas City Royals: Rick Porcello, RHP, Seton Hall Prep (N.J.)
This has been the guy, and continues to be the guy the Royals want. The only thing that could change this at the last minute is a financial issue, but, as of right now, there's no reason to assume that there will be one, even if Porcello is a Scott Boras advisee. If they do have to go in another direction, they could go with California high school third baseman Josh Vitters.
Last projection: Porcello

3. Chicago Cubs: Josh Vitters, 3B, Cypress HS (Calif.)
While the Cubs may like Jarrod Parker's arm, everything points to them going with a bat. That bat is Vitters, still considered by many to be the top high school hitter in the country. The Cubs have been on him all along and he's done nothing to have them look elsewhere.
Last projection: Vitters

4. Pittsurgh Pirates: Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State
There are a few different directions the Pirates could go in should Vitters not be there for them at No. 4. They could go college bat, and that would mean Matt Wieters. They could stay in their own backyard for another high school position player, catcher Devin Mesoraco, who worked out at PNC Park recently. Or they could go with who they decide is the best college arm. That likely would mean either Daniel Moskos or Detwiler and the guess is here they'll decide on the latter.
Last projection: Matt Wieters

5. Baltimore Orioles: Phillipe Aumont, RHP, Ecole Du Versant Gatineau, Quebec
With Detwiler off the board in this scenario, he's no longer a possibility for the Orioles. Rumors continue that they might make a big splash and if Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters did fall to here, they wouldn't pass him up. If they don't want to go down that road (Wieters is a Boras advisee), then they could go north of the border and take Aumont, the big, projectable right-hander who's been very impressive all spring in a number of settings.
Last projection: Ross Detwiler

6. Washington Nationals: Daniel Moskos, LHP, Clemson University
With Max Scherzer out of the picture, it gets a little more interesting for this pick. There is interest in California high school infielder Mike Moustakas if they wanted to go with a bat here. But it seems more likely now they'll go with a pitcher. If the Royals decide they can't take Porcello, the Nats might be the beneficiary of getting the perceived top prep arm in the class. They'd also probably take Detwiler should he still be available. In this scenario, he's not, so they'll take the next best college arm in Moskos.
Last projection: Max Scherzer

7. Milwaukee Brewers: Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (Ind.)
The Brewers are looking at a host of players. They've liked Moustakas' bat all along, but there was always the question whether they would be able to afford his price tag (he's a Boras advisee). They'd consider a college arm like Detwiler or Moskos, but both are gone in this scenario. So is Philippe Aumont on the prep side. Nick Schmidt could enter into the conversation and, like with a lot of teams, Devin Mesoraco is a possible backup plan. Instead, they'll take the next best high school arm on the board, a guy they've liked from the beginning in Parker.
Last projection: Mike Moustakas

8. Colorado Rockies: Nick Schmidt, LHP, University of Arkansas
It's sounding more likely the Rockies will go with a college arm with this pick, and while Detwiler or Moskos are both on their list, they're both gone in this scenario. No one has helped themselves more lately than Schmidt, the consummate lefty who tossed a shutout in conference tournament play and was stellar again in Regional action.
Last projection: Daniel Moskos

9. Arizona Diamondbacks: Mike Moustakas, 3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
With the Diamondbacks signing Scherzer, things could go in either direction. They could decide they didn't want to spend top dollar for a player after shelling out a lot of dough on their first round pick from last year. Or they could decide they've been through it once, why not try it again. They do like Moustakas' bat, so if they decide they won't let Boras get in the way, that's the direction they'll head in.
Last projection: Phillipe Aumont

10. San Francisco Giants: Matt Wieters, C, Georgia Tech
Wieters is becoming the most difficult player to place in this first-round projection because of signability and some performance-related issues. Still, he's got an excellent track record and is a switch-hitting catcher with pop. If he starts to slide, a number of teams will have to pause and seriously considering taking him. The Giants could very well be that team. There's been a lot of noise that they'd take Beau Mills, but some of that might just be because they've had success in drafting players from Lewis-Clark State. They have some interest in Casey Weathers, so if they went in that direction, Wieters could continue to slide.
Last projection: Nick Schmidt

11. Seattle Mariners: Casey Weathers, RHP, Vanderbilt
It's been generally believed, almost from the get-go, that the Mariners would be looking for an arm at No. 11. A lot of scouts like the arm of Vanderbilt closer Casey Weathers. A senior, he'd certainly be an easy sign. Too high in the draft for a reliever to go? Perhaps, but with the M's playing decent ball, the idea of drafting someone who could help the big club out in a hurry might be enticing. Weathers is the best of the college closer lot right now and could join Brandon Morrow in Seattle's bullpen very quickly.
Last projection: Weathers

12. Florida Marlins: Julio Borbon, CF, University of Tennessee
The Marlins are truly a "best player available" kind of team, so they could go in any of a number of directions. They'd have an interest in Schmidt or Parker should one of them be there. Ditto for Casey Weathers. If they still wanted a high school arm, Josh Smoker is a possibility. They'd never draft for need, and drafting Borbon would make sense because they need a center fielder. If they take him, it would be because they felt he was a fit for this spot in the first round.
Last projection: Jarrod Parker

13. Cleveland Indians: Blake Beavan, RHP, Irving HS (Texas)
Staying the same with this projection as the Indians have been on the Texas prep standout for some time. Think Adam Miller, redux.
Last projection: Beavan

14. Atlanta Braves: Jason Heyward, Henry County HS (Ga.)
Atlanta does like to draft local kids, and they like the high school players, so it could come down to Heyward or Smoker, depending on what direction they wanted to go in. Florida's Michael Main or Matt Harvey from Connecticut is also a possibility here as they could be looking power arm, but in the end, the toolsy Georgia outfielder might be too much for them to pass up.
Last projection: Heyward

15. Cincinnati Reds: Kevin Ahrens, 3B, Memorial HS (Texas)
This one falls under the category of hearing a player's name so much with one team that it's both hard to ignore and hard to not wonder if it's true. There was some talk the Reds would also be interested in Aumont should he slide here, but all of the buzz is that they've been on Houston-area infielder Ahrens all along. He plays shortstop in high school and isn't bad there, but the consensus is that he should move to third where he should profile better both offensively and defensively.
Last projection: Ahrens

16. Toronto Blue Jays: Matt Dominguez, 3B, Chatsworth HS (Calif.)
With two picks in the first round, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Jays go with a high-schooler with either pick. We'll give it to them here with Dominguez. If he's gone, Devin Mesoraco could be the choice.
Last projection: Dominguez

17. Texas Rangers: Matt Harvey, RHP, Fitch HS (Conn.)
The Rangers would love for Beavan to be around at No. 17 so they could take the local power pitcher. But if the Indians do take him, they will have to look elsewhere. Harvey, once thought of as possibly the top high school arm in the country, has dropped some, but not based solely on talent. He could drop this far because of perceived signability concerns (Boras is his advisor), but the Rangers haven't shied away from Boras guys in the past.
Last projection: Harvey

18. St. Louis Cardinals: Jake Arrieta, RHP, Texas Christian University
There was a temptation to put a Boras guy here because the Cardinals can do that, but it didn't make sense to force the issue, especially with Andrew Brackman missing regional play with some elbow trouble. Instead, I'll go with a "safe" pick in Arrieta. He's had an up-and-down season, but he turned in a dandy at UNLV in conference tournament play and pitched well in Regional action in the scouts' last look at him. The Cardinals have enjoyed the Lone Star State in recent drafts and even took a Horned Frog pitcher last year, Brad Furnish.
Last projection: Arrieta

19. Philadelphia Phillies: Devin Mesoraco, C, Punxsatawney HS (Pa.)
With his name being mentioned all over the first half of the first round, there's a chance the prep catcher won't be here for the Phillies. But in this current projection, he will be, and it'd be unlikely he'd slip any further than this spot. He's a very good athlete who some think is the best all-around catching package in the draft this year.
Last projection: Julio Borbon

20. Los Angeles Dodgers: Madison Bumgarner, LHP, South Caldwell HS (N.C.)
If one of the high school bats -- Ahrens or Dominguez -- slipped to the Dodgers here, they'd probably go that route. But assuming both are gone, as we are in this projection, we'll stick with the power left-handed arm. Bumgarner finished off his season by being lights out in his team's state final, which is just icing on the cake.
Last projection: Bumgarner

21. Toronto Blue Jays: Beau Mills, 3B, Lewis-Clark State
Outside of Wieters, Mills is one of tougher players to place. His name is being mentioned all over the first round as he put up absolutely ridiculous numbers in helping Lewis-Clark State to the NAIA Championship. There is some concern about his defensive ability, which might limit him to an AL team. There's a good chance he goes before here, but the Blue Jays are a good candidate to take him with one of their two picks.
Last projection: Devin Mesoraco

22. San Francisco Giants: Aaron Poreda, LHP, University of San Francisco
Here's the second college guy and one from the team's own backyard. Poreda isn't the typical college lefty and doesn't fit the "pitchability" mold. That being said, he can dial it up to 95 mph and commands the fastball pretty well. His secondary stuff definitely lags behind, and he gave some scouts the sense that he wasn't used to being a dominant pitcher. But those are all things that can be taught and the Giants would be very happy to be his mentor.
Last projection: Poreda

23. San Diego Padres: James Simmons, RHP, UC Riverside
In all likelihood, the Padres will end up going with a college arm here. In a perfect world, someone like Schmidt would fall to them, but that's not a scenario that's probable at this point. Simmons has perhaps the best fastball command in the draft and that alone should get him to the big leagues fairly quickly. If the team that takes him can help him develop his secondary stuff, he could evolve into a pretty steady big league starter. The previous projection, Nick Noonan, would be a consideration in the sandwich round for the Padres.
Last projection: Noonan

24. Texas Rangers: Michael Main, RHP, Deland HS (Fla.)
Before Brackman went down with his elbow issue, he seemed like a possibility here. Now, however, it seems like he could slip out of the first round completely. According to this projection, Main is one of, if not the best, power arms from the prep ranks still on the board. He's not from Texas like Beavan is, but the Rangers won't mind getting his mid-to-upper 90s fastball this late in the round.
Last projection: Brackman

25. Chicago White Sox: Chris Withrow, RHP, Midland Christian HS (Texas)
The Sox might have the pick of a few high school arms after taking two college pitchers the last couple of years. If Main were still around, he would be a possibility, as would Josh Smoker as a lefty. At the same time, both could be gone. Even with them around, they might want to take Withrow, the projectable right-hander out of Texas. His dad played pro ball -- in the White Sox organization, no less -- and clearly has taught his son well.
Last projection: Withrow

26. Oakland A's: Sean Doolittle, 1B, University of Virginia
There are at least a dozen names the A's are likely considering for this spot and it could depend on who filters down from above. If a Beau Mills, the projection here last time, somehow managed to drop, the A's would have obvious interest. It does seem that of the names they are considering, they are more interested in a bat than an arm, possibly from the college level. Doolittle, a two-way player at Virginia, profiles as a guy who should get to the bigs fairly quickly and hit for average. There's not much power there now, but there's the hope that more could develop once he gives up pitching. There's also the possibility that Doolittle won't be available here, with intriguing whispers coming out about him going much higher than anticipated, perhaps even sneaking into the top 10.
Last projection: Mills

27. Detroit Tigers: Tim Alderson, RHP, Horizon HS, Scottsdale
Several teams have been following the Arizona prep right-hander and he could conceivably go anywhere in the latter third of the first round into the sandwich round. While some scouts were concerned with Alderson's unorthodox delivery, he's got as good command as anyone in the high school ranks. He walks almost no one and he's got some pretty good stuff to go along with it. If the Tigers are heavy on high school arms, and a Main or Smoker are still here, that could push Alderson down some, but they've been on him all year. If they decide they want to go with a bat, they have some high school infield options in Peter Kozma and Noonan.
Last projection: Alderson

28. Minnesota Twins: Peter Kozma, SS, Owasso HS (Okla.)
The Twins have certainly taken their fair share of high school middle infielders, but there is that old adage that you can never have too much depth up the middle. Kozma came on strong near the end. While he's not impressively "toolsy," he does just about everything pretty well and, unlike many high school middle infielders, should be able to stay at short long-term. He handles the bat well and has some pop at the plate to boot. His best tool might be his makeup, which might put him over the top into the first round.
Last projection: Kozma

29. San Francisco Giants: Josh Smoker, LHP, Calhoun HS (Ga.)
With a host of teams looking at high school arms, it might be a reach to think Smoker will last this far down. But if he does, the Giants won't hesitate to take him. There's no reason to suggest a slide for Smoker, who I once had at No. 10, but sometimes the high school players drop and college players move up as we get closer to crunch time.
Last projection: Smoker

30. New York Yankees: Wendell Fairley, OF, George County-Lucedale HS (Miss.)
The Yankees are in a position where they can just wait and see who might fall into their lap. If any of the bigger names slide this far because of perceived signability concerns, or if their slide forces some others down the totem pole, those players could be options for New York. Brackman would be a gutsy call here, if the Yankees are willing to take the chance or try to get some kind of deal depending on the severity of the elbow injury. The last projection, Matt LaPorta, is still in the conversation because he would fill a pressing need at first base. A college catcher, such as J.P. Arencibia, might be considered as a fast-to-the-bigs replacement for Jorge Posada (assuming health). With all that being said, though, the Yankees are the kind of team that can afford to be patient, so if they see a high-risk, high-reward kind of player, they can take him. Fairley is extremely raw, but the tools are undeniable. The Yankees can, and will, be patient in letting those tools develop into performance.
Last projection: Matt LaPorta

I do not like the idea of taking another Boras client here. Now, Moustakas might be a real good player one day but to take him here with Matt Wieters and Blake Beavan still on the board is not all too rational. Wieters was projected to be one of the top 5 talents in the draft; even some claim that he is the best player available. The problem is that he is also a Boras client and seeking Mark Teixeira dollars (a $9,500,000 contract with a $4,500,000 bonus). :shock:

Tim Alderson is projected to go too high if you ask me. I think a lot of teams will be cautious because of his arm action.

Last edited:

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
The draft is on, and the D-backs' 1st round pick (#9 overall) is:

Jarrod Parker, RHP, Norwell HS (Ind.)

I'm not a big fan of gambling with high school pitchers, but he was the first one taken so I guess that means he's pretty good. The future will tell.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I am not too happy with this draft at all. It seems like we are going after players who will be easy to sign and, thus, moved away from what has made us so successful in the past.

While Parker (compared to a right-handed Kazmir) is a solid pick the other picks have surprised me. Our second pick, RHP Wesley Roemer from Cal State Fullerton sounds like a Lance Cormier or A.J. Shappi type pitcher who will not make it as a starter and likely be an average reliever. This is because, like the previously mentioned pitcher, Roemer does not have anything more than three average pitches to go with his good control. Also, at exactly six-feet, he doesn't have the arm leverage to throw on a sharp downward angle. Not exactly what you want to pick up with a supplementary first round pick.

Then there is C Edward Easley from Mississippi State University. I was just dumbfounded by this pick. Catchers predicted to be less than average with the bat and barely average defensively should be signed after the draft, not picked up in the supplementary first-round!! He has the ceiling of Kelly "ugh" Stinnett.

Once again the Yankees score last in the first-round of the draft. Last year is was RHPs Kennedy and Chamberlain; this year it was Brackman. The rich keep getting richer.

I hope the D'backs score on their next pick, which will be coming up shortly.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
I am not too happy with this draft at all. It seems like we are going after players who will be easy to sign and, thus, moved away from what has made us so successful in the past.

While Parker (compared to a right-handed Kazmir) is a solid pick the other picks have surprised me. Our second pick, RHP Wesley Roemer from Cal State Fullerton sounds like a Lance Cormier or A.J. Shappi type pitcher who will not make it as a starter and likely be an average reliever. This is because, like the previously mentioned pitcher, Roemer does not have anything more than three average pitches to go with his good control. Also, at exactly six-feet, he doesn't have the arm leverage to throw on a sharp downward angle. Not exactly what you want to pick up with a supplementary first round pick.

Then there is C Edward Easley from Mississippi State University. I was just dumbfounded by this pick. Catchers predicted to be less than average with the bat and barely average defensively should be signed after the draft, not picked up in the supplementary first-round!! He has the ceiling of Kelly "ugh" Stinnett.

Once again the Yankees score last in the first-round of the draft. Last year is was RHPs Kennedy and Chamberlain; this year it was Brackman. The rich keep getting richer.

I hope the D'backs score on their next pick, which will be coming up shortly.

With their second round pick, Arizona selected Barry Enright from Pepperdine. Not too pleased with this pick either as again the new scouting director ignores any high-priced talents to grab a solid college pitcher who might be a decent starter in the majors. This pitcher's fastball only reaches 91 mph... and that is what it tops out at... it sits at around 87-89. That means he is either going to be moved to the bullpen or that he is going to be a sub-par pitcher in the majors.

I am still baffled that Arizona picked Parker while the top college pitcher Fred Porcello was still on the board (and remained for quite some time). I know he was represented by Boras but it was like Stephen Drew fell to us again. Stick to what has made you successful!!

jpjapes

Registered
Reaction score
With their second round pick, Arizona selected Barry Enright from Pepperdine. Not too pleased with this pick either as again the new scouting director ignores any high-priced talents to grab a solid college pitcher who might be a decent starter in the majors. This pitcher's fastball only reaches 91 mph... and that is what it tops out at... it sits at around 87-89. That means he is either going to be moved to the bullpen or that he is going to be a sub-par pitcher in the majors.

I am still baffled that Arizona picked Parker while the top college pitcher Fred Porcello was still on the board (and remained for quite some time). I know he was represented by Boras but it was like Stephen Drew fell to us again. Stick to what has made you successful!!

Rick Porcello?

Or does he have a brother named Fred?

Personally, I'm happy with the parker pick, but I agree with your the Easley pick does sound a little dumb

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well I bet the directive was that they were not going to take anyone with signability issues since the new deadline rules are in effect (ie. Porcello). Word is that Boras is looking for atleast a 10 million dollar bonus for Porcello thus he fell. What I'm diappointed at is that we didn't really go after corner infielders to restock our farm. The Parker pick is good in my opinion because LaPorta who is being labeled as an overdraft, and other the other good P's such as the guy from Missouri State and Mouskas were taken before we came up to pick. Atleast the guy has some power with a 97 mph fastball and being compared to Kazmir ain't too shabby.

Our future rotation looks like this:
Webb
Owings
Anderson
Parker
Buck/Brown/Smith/Petit/Scherzer

Impressive if they all pan out and are kept together.