10 thoughts - Seahawks game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – There are several good players on the defensive line, but they need to have a great player to pave the way for them. #Watt

2 – It didn’t take long to get a revival to the narrative that Kingsbury cannot win late in the season.

3 – What a great addition Zach Ertz has been.

4 – Good work to only extent D.J. Humphries for two years last offseason instead of signing him long-term. Audition coming up next season.

5 – The constant almost impossible dilemma all game between wanting to win the division and the reluctance to have the Niners in the playoff.

6 – DeAndre Hopkins with crutches on the sideline. Let’s just say that it would be a surprise if he plays next week.

7 – Yet another solid game from Kelvin Beachum. My little bark last week, that I didn’t like that he was moved to left tackle, was because that weakened the right tackle spot. I like Beachum.

8 – I expect Vance Joseph to get head coach consideration after this season. My wish to replace him is Vic Fangio, but a better guess is probably Brian Flores based on how much Keim liked him in the process that led to the hiring of Steve Wilks.

9 – The Arizona Cardinals are in the playoff. Remember to enjoy that, guys.

10 – Kyler Murray is a special player. He is not like Russell Wilson. He is not like Lamar Jackson. He is unique. And he can win a playoff game by himself. Hands down. Not saying he’s going to do it, but look at his tape – even from the last couple of games. He surely has the ability.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Joseph sticks around as with a new DC you usually see fruit and year 3 and it would be lame to lose a DC every time we get there.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hopefully Joseph sticks around as with a new DC you usually see fruit and year 3 and it would be lame to lose a DC every time we get there.

No, with VJ you have to wait 3 years, if ever. A good DC will install his system, tailor it to his players' strengths, and let them flourish.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, with VJ you have to wait 3 years, if ever. A good DC will install his system, tailor it to his players' strengths, and let them flourish.

Most every defensive system takes years to implement. It happened with Horton, Bowles and even with VJ. The stats get better year over year from learning the scheme to acquiring better fitting players.

Unless of course you think those previous DC's sucked while here too. Then, I don't know.

But the three year rule is a common theme for playbook schemes.

Stout

Reaction score
Most every defensive system takes years to implement. It happened with Horton, Bowles and even with VJ. The stats get better year over year from learning the scheme to acquiring better fitting players.

Unless of course you think those previous DC's sucked while here too. Then, I don't know.

But the three year rule is a common theme for playbook schemes.
So...we should continue to get a subpar coach because he needs more time? You saw what happened when the turnovers weren't magically happening and his offense wasn't bailing the D out. I don't want more soft zone, bend but ultimately break, ignore player strengths, 3-man pass rush BS.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
One thing that killed us was Kyler was holding onto the ball way too long looking for a big shot. This made our OL look terrible. We also missed Rondale and Chase who are great at the short stuff making the DL play more honestly.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
#5 - Instead the worst case scenario. The 9ers beat the Rams to get in and we blow it against Seattle to win the division. No division win for us, no home playoff game and 49ers in the playoff

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
I'd be thrilled if we ended up with Flores after the season is over. I don't buy the 3 year thing, that would be assuming you have many of the same players. Turnover in the NFL is a fact of life so it better be a system guys can pick up quick and then you can refine it by adding a player or two. Good coaches tailer their system to work with the talent that is available. We have talent on this defense but I do think they underperform their talent more often than not and that the main culprit is scheme. The Seahawks manhandled us yesterday with a no name D-line, their middle linebacker making his first start, their all pro safety out for the season and their #1 cornerback going down in the 2nd half.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...we should continue to get a subpar coach because he needs more time? You saw what happened when the turnovers weren't magically happening and his offense wasn't bailing the D out. I don't want more soft zone, bend but ultimately break, ignore player strengths, 3-man pass rush BS.
The defense has gotten better year over year and has been good enough to win this year. The problem was the offense went to ****. Prior to the injuries, the defense was on fire. I don't see our defense as sub par this year and I believe they are not subpar statistically either. The crux of the d this year was run defense and that went to crap After watt went down. Prior it was quite stellar.

So, I clearly disagree with your assessment and no, he had enough time already and is producing solid defense that should get better and better. Installing a new coach now will mean a regression in defense next year it always has.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be thrilled if we ended up with Flores after the season is over. I don't buy the 3 year thing, that would be assuming you have many of the same players. Turnover in the NFL is a fact of life so it better be a system guys can pick up quick and then you can refine it by adding a player or two. Good coaches tailer their system to work with the talent that is available. We have talent on this defense but I do think they underperform their talent more often than not and that the main culprit is scheme. The Seahawks manhandled us yesterday with a no name D-line, their middle linebacker making his first start, their all pro safety out for the season and their #1 cornerback going down in the 2nd half.
They still have to learn the system, regardless of tailoring.

NWMike

Rookie
Reaction score
Sure but it really shouldn’t be that hard. Someone brought up on Twitter how meh Campbell looked last here as well. He goes to Green Bay and makes the pro bowl in his first year in their system.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 – There are several good players on the defensive line, but they need to have a great player to pave the way for them. #Watt
Not sure where the blame on run defense falls. The line or the LB’s
2 – It didn’t take long to get a revival to the narrative that Kingsbury cannot win late in the season.
Not surprisingly.
Wish we could find a way to hit him on the move across the field.
4 – Good work to only extent D.J. Humphries for two years last offseason instead of signing him long-term. Audition coming up next season.
Bad game for sure. We need him to bring his “A” game Monday.
5 – The constant almost impossible dilemma all game between wanting to win the division and the reluctance to have the Niners in the playoff.
Agree!
6 – DeAndre Hopkins with crutches on the sideline. Let’s just say that it would be a surprise if he plays next week.
We won’t see Hopkins until next year and that’s how it should be.
7 – Yet another solid game from Kelvin Beachum. My little bark last week, that I didn’t like that he was moved to left tackle, was because that weakened the right tackle spot. I like Beachum.
Agree.
8 – I expect Vance Joseph to get head coach consideration after this season. My wish to replace him is Vic Fangio, but a better guess is probably Brian Flores based on how much Keim liked him in the process that led to the hiring of Steve Wilks.
VJ will get the “ courtesy interview” but will not get a HC. Job.

10 – Kyler Murray is a special player. He is not like Russell Wilson. He is not like Lamar Jackson. He is unique. And he can win a playoff game by himself. Hands down. Not saying he’s going to do it, but look at his tape – even from the last couple of games. He surely has the ability.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
There is an easy fix on offense. Teach Murray to have a three second clock in his head. 90% of his sacks are him holding on to the ball five or six seconds. It’s ok to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
4. Humphries played like $#/+ end of story, got pushed around like he's a sissy.

6. I'll be surprised if Hopkins comes back at all & let's face it, we won't be playing another game after Monday if they play like Sunday.

8. I'd take Brian Flores right now as DC, he runs a BB defense that knows how to defend the run & pass.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I am certainly not against your overall thought of continuity being key, BRR, and I also agree that Vance Joseph have done well with a decimated roster. But it should be noted that both Bowles and Horton were only with the Cards for two years, and their defenses made major improvements in the second year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the season started to fall apart when he was injured. The team just hasn't played with the same tenacity since he went down.
Meh. The next time Kingsbury misses a read or doesn't catch a pass for the Cardinals will be the first time. I saw players in position to make plays and they didn't make them.
Agreed. I would like a bit more YAC but he catches most balls in his radius.
The way he has played this year shouldn't drive up his price tag too much.
The Cardinals won't face the Niners because they won't beat the Rams.
I think we can shelf that idea.
Beachum has been a rock since day one. Not dominating, but probably the best RT I've seen the Cardinals have since I've watched the team in the mid 90's.
I think Vance stays. He frustrates me, but his defense hasn't been bad enough that the Cardinals would move on.
11-6 is a good season despite how it played out at the end.
I actually think Murray can't win a game by himself and he plays best when he plays within the confines of the offense. He needs to go through is presnap reads better, he needs to go through his progressions, and he needs to step up in the pocket. We he plays that way, the Cardinals are a really tough team to beat. When he doesn't play that way, he runs into sacks and bird dogs the receiver he wants to throw to. That's a much easier Kyler to beat even when he breaks off a few good runs.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize that Vance Joseph was already the Broncos HC and was fired from them after 2 seasons. Stout has a better chance of becoming the next Broncos HC. ;)
Besides, being in the Denver market, they definitely want an offensive minded coach to get the most out of all of their skill players.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
8. I expect Vance Joseph to get head coach consideration after this season. My wish to replace him is Vic Fangio, but a better guess is probably Brian Flores based on how much Keim liked him in the process that led to the hiring of Steve Wilks.

Flores will have his choice of head coaching opportunities. But dreams are free. I don't expect V.J. to get a head coaching opportunity this offseason.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8. I expect Vance Joseph to get head coach consideration after this season. My wish to replace him is Vic Fangio, but a better guess is probably Brian Flores based on how much Keim liked him in the process that led to the hiring of Steve Wilks.

Flores will have his choice of head coaching opportunities. But dreams are free. I don't expect V.J. to get a head coaching opportunity this offseason.
Agreed. If we didn't have a collapse and were the 2nd seed for example, he would have.

Reaction score
"I actually think Murray can't win a game by himself and he plays best when he plays within the confines of the offense. He needs to go through is presnap reads better, he needs to go through his progressions, and he needs to step up in the pocket. When he plays that way, the Cardinals are a really tough team to beat. When he doesn't play that way, he runs into sacks and bird dogs the receiver he wants to throw to. That's a much easier Kyler to beat even when he breaks off a few good runs."

/\ This

Stout

Reaction score
You do realize that Vance Joseph was already the Broncos HC and was fired from them after 2 seasons. Stout has a better chance of becoming the next Broncos HC. ;)
Besides, being in the Denver market, they definitely want an offensive minded coach to get the most out of all of their skill players.
Take over a team without a top QB in a division with those QBs? No thanks :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take over a team without a top QB in a division with those QBs? No thanks :)
They have the defense and all of the skill players you could want. It is the most attractive place to coach IMO, if it weren't for the ownership issues going on right now with Denver.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
9 out of the 12 head coaches in the first round of the playoffs are former OC's. That's the way the league is trending.

Reaction score
I agree. They will need veteran leadership, Watt and perhaps another free agent. How about Zach Allen though, getting an INT TD and a FR TD in the same season! Many stellar inside DL play their entire career without accomplishing that double!

I realize that there is a great deal of chance/luck that goes into the feat I just mentioned. However Allen has made significant progress and is becoming a valued contributor. I think this is Cory Peters last season. I hope and expect that Rashard Lawrence continues his development; maybe takes Peters spot starting next season. Some may think that Peters spot could go to Jordan Phillips, but I think there has been enough money spent for next to nothing in return to risk another contract on him! Of course in the Cardinal way, he will go elsewhere and have three or four strong years. . .
The song remains the same; until proven otherwise.
A professional TE that acts and plays like one!!
Hump is at worst an average starting LT. Damn, it certainly would be nice if he turned into an elite LT; but I won't hold my breath for that to happen!
How'd that go for ya. . . Oh, yeah. :barf:
Yep. Not gonna happen. Stay on the sideline, and see you next year, Nuk!
Veteran, pretty solid. Can man at least 3, maybe 4 of the spots on the OL!
I expect VJ to remain with the Cardinals for at least another season. This is mostly a good thing; at the same time I wouldn't be sad to see him go. . .
:thewave:

Would love to see them beat the Rams, if only so they can go into Dallas and win there; AGAIN!!!

But, if they want to pull a win out against LA they are going to have to beat the Rams AND the officials!! There's no telling how much the league offices and clown-show Goddell want to see LA in the Super Bowl!
Kyler could be a heartbreaker! He's athletic and talented enough to win it all. But something tells me he never will. . . By the way, how many of you have watched Justin Herbert this year? I was not a fan of his career at Oregon, but DAMN he looks like he knows what he's doing out there, now!!!

I love the Cardinals! I just don't trust them to win, when you expect them to win!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Meh. The next time Kingsbury misses a read or doesn't catch a pass for the Cardinals will be the first time. I saw players in position to make plays and they didn't make them.

Krang, in a way I agree with you, but I think that you have to look at Kingsbury when there is a pattern. It cannot always be the player’s fault. At some point he must take the blame.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA