Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kia - if you're going to say nothing, sometimes it's better to actually say nothing
Seriously. That statement basically says we agree that the racist, misogynistic pig only deserves a slap on the hand.

Watching NBA Today. So far 1 big sponsor has dropped. When the Clippers went down 12 sponsors bailed.

Long way to go.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Also, it appears KIA has both local and league relationships. They have local partnership deals with 13 NBA teams including the Suns. Kia carries 13 partnerships across NBA teams including the Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Hornets, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, New Orleans Pelicans, New York Knicks, Orlando Magic, Philadelphia 76ers and the Phoenix Suns.

It appears their local partnerships are separate from the leaguewide one.

You might also remember that they're all over the sponsorship for Inside the NBA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lebron
Paul
Mayor of phoenix
Minority owner

It’s happening.
It will happen. It is impossible for Sarver to do the MGP job effectively going forward. Even after the suspension, he will not be able to recruit players, recruit coaches or gm's , or sponsors. Paypal is pulling out. He is done.

Let's just hope the next guy is better and not worse.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just wish Jerry had stuck around. He only sold because he leveraged himself so bad in those early Diamondback years... if he had any idea the run of monumental success the Nash years were about to bring... I don't think he sells.

He certainly would not have pissed away the chance to make those Nash era teams into an absolute monster by being cheap with draft picks.

No way he dumps the pick that would have been either Igudala or Lou Deng, no way he sells Rondo... no way he lets Joe Johnson walk.

Those Nash era Suns were soooooo close, take away the penny pinching and inject Colangelo's "To hell with the bottom line!" and I think they'd have been to the mid/late 2010s what the Warriors have been the last 7 years.
Jerry sold because he had a major cancer scare.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way Sarver will be back. It's going to be a domino effect. The minority owners will boot him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think it will be hard to find a majority partner for an NBA team considering how franchise sales have gone over the past decade.
Oh he is. Robert Sarver loves his money, and staying the MGP position is going to cost him a lot. The easiest thing for him to do is to maintain ownership but move back into a non-managerial owner role and let another step in as the MGP. That would probably satisfy everyone.

I just don't care that much anymore. It will be what it will be. I do not have high hopes a new managing owner will be any better about the basketball part of it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Oh he is. Robert Sarver loves his money, and staying the MGP position is going to cost him a lot. The easiest thing for him to do is to maintain ownership but move back into a non-managerial owner role and let another step in as the MGP. That would probably satisfy everyone.
I’m curious to know if that will indeed satisfy even the die-hards on ASFN.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just don't care that much anymore. It will be what it will be. I do not have high hopes a new managing owner will be any better about the basketball part of it.
I don’t think that satisfies anyone but Sarver and even there he’d prob be pissed.

Certainly wouldn’t satisfy me. That dude can’t be part of the team. Full stop.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this is for you, Cheese
i'm now upgrading my opinion on Booker getting involved to a "must do"

i think Sarver is toast even without Booker's condemnation
but
as the leader and future of the team he needs to get involved
as the leader and future of the team he needs to make sure Sarver is replaced
for the sake of team morale
for the sake of employee morale
for the sake of fan morale
for the sake of sponsors
for the sake of signing free agents
for the sake of finally winning a gosh-damn championship

the sponsors and co-owners will not tolerate their most valued commodity being displeased
you've got to be displeased, son!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So Pay Pal is putting money in Sarver’s pocket for the remainder of their deal but choosing not to re-sign when they hit free agency. Got it. ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Pay Pal is putting money in Sarver’s pocket for the remainder of their deal but choosing not to re-sign when they hit free agency. Got it. ;)
Contractual obligation. They have control over renewing. If they try and cancel the current deal earlier, then it's a fight with the entire Suns organization which in their statement they said is not their beef. They don't have a beef with the organization, coaches or players. It's with Sarver.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This to me might be a bigger deal than PayPal. She represents the NBPA and says she is speaking for the players association. They are saying on the radio that the Players association had a meeting and decided to submit a statement against Robert Sarver through her.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Contractual obligation. They have control over renewing. If they try and cancel the current deal earlier, then it's a fight with the entire Suns organization which in their statement they said is not their beef. They don't have a beef with the organization, coaches or players. It's with Sarver.
Pretty the companies that bailed on Sterling didn’t have beef with the Clippers players either. At the end of the day they’re still in business with Sarver.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty the companies that bailed on Sterling didn’t have beef with the Clippers players either. At the end of the day they’re still in business with Sarver.
Yes but that would make no business sense. Their deal is up this year. Then they want to get into a legal battle with the organization that will likely last longer than the current deal? Makes no sense. If this was at the start of their deal with the Suns then I would agree. No reason to get into a legal battle when it's possible Sarver could be gone. Especially, if you want to make a new deal with the organization post Sarver.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Today's developments solidify his doom... sponsors rattling their sabers, players union saying they won't work with him. He's toast... the only question is how long it takes him to come to the realization.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today's developments solidify his doom... sponsors rattling their sabers, players union saying they won't work with him. He's toast... the only question is how long it takes him to come to the realization.
I hope you are right. At the end of the day the NBPA statement should be the final straw. If the players association met, agree on this statement? You can bet they will encourage players across the league not to sign with the Suns. That his huge. Sarver staying it going to hurt the club.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate those two words!
Yep. Years ago I said to hell with it and started substituting "impacted" instead. Now, my English are always correct.
I always remember cause and effect. If what you are trying to say isn't directly effected by a cause and effect, you use affected. ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not going to read this entire thread, but until sponsors start backing out of deals, nothing else is going to happen with this issue.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always remember cause and effect. If what you are trying to say isn't directly effected by a cause and effect, you use affected. ;)
Yeah I know that affect is usually a noun and effect is usually the verb but there are exceptions to each that make misuse easy. I figure I'm down to one brain cell, I don't want to overwork it too much so I take the easy way out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above comments from the Executive Director of the NBPA Tamika Tremaglio calling for Robert Sarver to be banned for life is one of the most significant developments to date.

It is HUGE because she made it clear she is speaking upon behalf of the players.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The above comments from the Executive Director of the NBPA Tamika Tremaglio calling for Robert Sarver to be banned for life is one of the most significant developments to date.

It is HUGE because she made it clear she is speaking upon behalf of the players.
Exactly what I said above. It's huge. It indicates the players will in some fashion mobilize against Sarver. Notice she did say FOR NOW they have not talked boycotting the Suns but that didn't seem off the table either. At the very least this will impact our ability to sign players. IMO this is more significant than PayPal.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Exactly what I said above. It's huge. It indicates the players will in some fashion mobilize against Sarver. Notice she did say FOR NOW they have not talked boycotting the Suns but that didn't seem off the table either. At the very least this will impact our ability to sign players. IMO this is more significant than PayPal.
Agreed. I was surprised at the lack of comments until now. This is HUGE. Really glad she stepped up with that. Us Suns fans appreciate that more than she can know. Now, go away Sarver! We don't want you here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson