Cards sign a new punter. He of course has played with the Steelers.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/azbobbymac/status/509097309872091136

Az Cardinals have signed former Steelers and Lions punter Drew Butler.

He's also the son of Kevin Butler.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/09/08/cardinals-add-punter-butler/

With Dave Zastudil hurting with a groin injury, the Cardinals today filled their empty space on the roster (opened when Desmond Bishop was cut) by signing punter Drew Butler. Butler, the son of long-time Chicago Bears kicker Kevin Butler, was with the Detroit Lions during the preseason before being released. He was with the Bears in the offseason of 2013, but in 2012, he punted for the Pittsburgh Steelers, averaging 43.8 yards a kick.
I am not sure if this is strictly a backup plan if Zastudil can’t go tonight, or if Zastudil already is going to miss. Butler has punted before, so that isn’t really a concern. What will be interesting to see is what happens on field goals and extra points, because Zastudil is the holder for kicker Chandler Catanzaro. There is not a backup holder listed on the depth chart and truth be told, I don’t recall seeing a backup working in practice (that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, just that I have not seen it). Don’t know if it would be Butler automatically, or Drew Stanton or someone else. Butler did hold for field goals and extra points when he was in Pittsburgh, so he can do the job if needed.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Azien, while I'm not sure, I think that cardsfanmd meant, even though Zastudl might not be punting, tonight, will he be the 'holder'?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Azien, while I'm not sure, I think that cardsfanmd meant, even though Zastudl might not be punting, tonight, will he be the 'holder'?

That looks to be the case. Both punters are active for the game tonight. Zasty for holding - new guy for punting.