MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Read Those Guys Have All The Fun, the oral history of ESPN that came out last spring. It's a really, REALLY interesting book.

ESPN is just awful, and it's getting worse. When you look at things from their point of view (they should be allowed to give extra attention to the products that they possess (i.e., NBA and college basketball but not hockey)) it makes sense, but no one there should really consider themselves journalists anymore.

It's getting to the point where Congressional action ought to be considered.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Newsweek article doesn't tell me what I didn't already feel about them... but I did learn a couple things.... like mgt muzzled reporters on the Roethlisberger rape story and Penn State scandal

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...-ever-and-that-might-not-be-a-good-thing.html

edit to add: I guess I was naive when I didn't realize how much of Directv and cable charges are attributed to their muscle.

How about how they nearly completely blew off the Syracuse story and still they only gave it a cursory glance. I used to love ESPN. Loved their coverage of hockey(Tom Mees and John Saunders were the best) and loved how they went out o a limb and picked up the USFL then later, Arena Football. Of course, even though the USFL is long gone a well as the AWA(they used to show wrestling as well) but the AFL has to rely on the NFL network and yet ESPN still shows the spelling bee.

Last edited:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
see their handling of some of college football stuff this year for more evidence. Craig James votes Boise state 24 or 25 for the last few weeks of the season, then goes on their BCS show and tells people not to let them in the BCS.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
see their handling of some of college football stuff this year for more evidence. Craig James votes Boise state 24 or 25 for the last few weeks of the season, then goes on their BCS show and tells people not to let them in the BCS.

The Broncos got the biggest shaft job ever this year... felt somewhat sorry that the Sun Devils had to be the team lead to the slaughter

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times.

ESPN is to sports what MTV is to music.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah - aside from the occasional live broadcast, exclusive sports content or documentary, my TV station rarely hits the ESPN dial and it hasn't for a long time .;... their analysis and commentary is a joke and they are far from a reporting entity

unfortunately, even with that it's very difficult to avoid a lot of their influence

was a perfect capture watching tedy bruschi "interview" gronkowski leading up to the game (saw this on the TV at lunch last week) and then watching the game seeing bruschi stop just short of performing climatic favors on robert kraft in the owners box during the game

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or do like me and not watch ESPN anymore.

I rarely do, but if I'm going to watch college football, the NCAA baseball tourney (a family friend is starting for UNM), a lot of the NBA, Monday Night Football, ALL of the college bowl games including the BCS National Championship game (it's criminal that this game wasn't broadcast), etc., etc., then I have to tune in to the Worldwide Leader.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or do like me and not watch ESPN anymore.

I watch a lot more pregame stuff on NFL but my one problem with this is I just can't take Eisen's act on the NFL wrap up show after the games. It's beyond juvenile, imo. Add Irvin and Deion into the mix and it's unwatchable. The other guys, Faulk, Baldy, Smith, Billick, Dukes etc are ok by me.

If it's just Berman and TJ on NFL Primetime I can stomach it, but as soon as they add all the other clowns I turn it off

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I really don't like espn either. there are a couple of people in the company that i do like though:

colin howard: eventhough he sticks his foot in his mouth daily

kurt herbstreit: great unbiased cfb analyst...sometimes he is too lame and mellow, but he is a smart guy.

outside of that I really can't think of anyone I like at espn. they are unprofessional with their reporting(uncited sources is the norm and they rarely pan out as they have to report garbage to fill time) and most of their shows are unwatchable to include monday night football.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
My main hatred for ESPN has been through there role in NCAA realignment. Its sickens me to see them report realingment when they are a huge player, and driving the whole process in whichever direction that makes them the most money. I try to avoid watching, other than live sporting events where they are the only alternative.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I really don't like espn either. there are a couple of people in the company that i do like though:

colin howard: eventhough he sticks his foot in his mouth daily

kurt herbstreit: great unbiased cfb analyst...sometimes he is too lame and mellow, but he is a smart guy.

outside of that I really can't think of anyone I like at espn. they are unprofessional with their reporting(uncited sources is the norm and they rarely pan out as they have to report garbage to fill time) and most of their shows are unwatchable to include monday night football.

Not even Erin Andrews???

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN has had a lot of on-air personalities that I liked but many of them are gone now. Of the ones that are left, I prefer people such as Suzy Kolber. I like the fact that she's actually a fan of football. So many of the people they have now on ESPN and ESPNNEWS sometimes seem to actually hate athletes and the sports they play. I swear there's this one little guy on the E News channel that looks like he's about to cream his pants every time he gets a chance to mock a jock. You just know he was the towel boy growing up, torn between idolizing these guys and hating them because they taped his butt cheeks together.

Steve

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
ESPN has had a lot of on-air personalities that I liked but many of them are gone now. Of the ones that are left, I prefer people such as Suzy Kolber. I like the fact that she's actually a fan of football. So many of the people they have now on ESPN and ESPNNEWS sometimes seem to actually hate athletes and the sports they play. I swear there's this one little guy on the E News channel that looks like he's about to cream his pants every time he gets a chance to mock a jock. You just know he was the towel boy growing up, torn between idolizing these guys and hating them because they taped his butt cheeks together.

Steve

:cough: Mike Greenberg :cough:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson