Suns updates and discussion for the 2023-24 season

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want Bridges but the bird rights thing confuses me, typically in trades the Bird Rights always carry over.

Maybe it is because he is on a qualifying offer?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want Bridges but the bird rights thing confuses me, typically in trades the Bird Rights always carry over.

Maybe it is because he is on a qualifying offer?

They don't carry over because of the qualifying offer. That's another reason you rarely see players sign their QO because if they get traded the acquiring team can't keep them unless they have cap space, or they're willing to sign for MLE money.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I don't think Gerald is a guy that is going to say something without a pretty good source.

This is going to be very controversial.

Edit: After reading the article it sounds like the suns may go Royce O'neal instead of Bridges if they decide the pushback is more than they want to deal with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is saying the Suns have definite interest in Royce ONeal.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Putting aside the controversy about Bridges, how does he fit in with the Suns exactly? He seems like kind of an overlap with Durant/Allen at SF as far as offense, and he's not exactly the post presence, defender, or rebounder they need. I guess he would be an upgrade off the bench if they want to use him in that role.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't think Gerald is a guy that is going to say something without a pretty good source.

This is going to be very controversial.

Edit: After reading the article it sounds like the suns may go Royce O'neal instead of Bridges if they decide the pushback is more than they want to deal with.

The Suns are telling Gerald that to gauge the reaction. Even Gambo didn’t shoot it down by just saying it would be difficult to get him because they can’t re-sign him.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Putting aside the controversy about Bridges, how does he fit in with the Suns exactly? He seems like kind of an overlap with Durant/Allen at SF as far as offense, and he's not exactly the post presence, defender, or rebounder they need. I guess he would be an upgrade off the bench if they want to use him in that role.
He’s a top 75 player. There is no doubt he would help us win games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He might move Grayson to the bench, either full time or depending on matchups. He's a bigger forward. Think of a bigger version of Kelly Oubre for play style. He's a decent shooter, about average, but he can create for himself.

All that said, I don't want him but a player like him who doesn't beat women in front of their children would be a good addition.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way I see it, trading for O'Neale is a JJ move. If we trade for Bridges that's an Ishbia/Zeke move. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The way I see it, trading for O'Neale is a JJ move. If we trade for Bridges that's an Ishbia/Zeke move. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
I don’t get why people wouldn’t want oneale. Adequate to good 3pt shooter and defender with some strength if not length.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The issue trading for O'Neale is making the salaries work. That was highlighted in Gerald Bourguet's article. It will take Little plus EG, Okogie, or Damien Lee. Both Lee and Okogie have the ability to turn down the deal since they're on a second minimum deal here. Gordon isn't being traded, that can be ruled out entirely. If Okogie or Lee refused to go then we'd need to add 2 minimum guys including KBD, Bol, Metu, Yuta, or Eubanks. I'd prefer Lee be sent with cash considerations. That also opens a roster spot for any potential buy out candidates that might qualify, like PJ Tucker.

Article with info on financials....

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Eubanks should be that mobile big with length that we need to back ups Nurkic. I am disappointed he is NOT playing like he did in Portland. We need a throw back version of Javale McGee. Someone who can alter shots and get some boards. Maybe in the buyout market we can get some old time guy like him. We clearly are getting killed by teams with length and size.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He might move Grayson to the bench, either full time or depending on matchups. He's a bigger forward. Think of a bigger version of Kelly Oubre for play style. He's a decent shooter, about average, but he can create for himself.

All that said, I don't want him but a player like him who doesn't beat women in front of their children would be a good addition.
True, but without being damaged goods socially, in our assets position and cap situation, we don't sniff a guy of his caliber right now. It would be bad from a social standpoint, but just from a basketball analytical analysis, he could definitely slide into the starting five and give us that defensive toughness.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The issue trading for O'Neale is making the salaries work. That was highlighted in Gerald Bourguet's article. It will take Little plus EG, Okogie, or Damien Lee. Both Lee and Okogie have the ability to turn down the deal since they're on a second minimum deal here. Gordon isn't being traded, that can be ruled out entirely. If Okogie or Lee refused to go then we'd need to add 2 minimum guys including KBD, Bol, Metu, Yuta, or Eubanks. I'd prefer Lee be sent with cash considerations. That also opens a roster spot for any potential buy out candidates that might qualify, like PJ Tucker.

Article with info on financials....

Thanks for the link!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Indiana game just proved how badly we need another defensive body. I have seen this team play really good defense in spurts and really bad defense in spurts. I think another defensive minded body who can actually play will help consistency. I hope we can get someone at the deadline.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I think the Indiana game just proved how badly we need another defensive body. I have seen this team play really good defense in spurts and really bad defense in spurts. I think another defensive minded body who can actually play will help consistency. I hope we can get someone at the deadline.
Unironically, a healthy Bol would help this. The version we saw just before the injury was deterring shots with his length and not a complete liability on offense unlike some of the other defensive minded options on the bench

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem I have with Royce O’Neale is he is not really that big, at 6'4", 226 pounds.

He is solid, but I don't think he helps the Suns that much inside, where they are the most vulnerable defensively.

Still, he is an improvement.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The problem I have with Royce O’Neale is he is not really that big, at 6'4", 226 pounds.

He is solid, but I don't think he helps the Suns that much inside, where they are the most vulnerable defensively.

Huh, I thought he was 6’6. Even smaller than I thought.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is the same height as Okogie and he does a pretty good job when we put him on other opposing offensive scorers. That's how O'Neale is being used right now. He usually faces the other teams best scorers.

The thinking might be if we have two of those types of players we shouldn't have a drop off when Okogie goes to the bench. We now have another option. Theoretically it should make our defense more consistent.