AYTON TRADED!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's a good point. Milwaukee got a lot worse defensively, especially on the perimeter.
I think this trade is a homerun for the bucks. Unless they meet a highly perimeter-oriented team in the playoffs. If we had met this team in the finals we would’ve won. Holiday was the difference.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A fresh start for both is good. DA is young and athletic, so fun for a rebuild.
We'll see. I'm not sure "fun" is the word I'd use, not after the antics he pulled here.

It's naive to think he will all of a sudden be some kind of juggernaut all-star after getting traded. He's had all the opportunity here and squandered it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are saying on the radio the Suns sold low and were ready to move on. Dame trade made it viable.

This is just a bad trade for two reasons. The Suns believe this is addition by subtraction but even if it is, our ceiling is lower. Even though we couldn’t depend on Ayton the ceiling is lower.

Last but not least we just went from league favorites to making the Bucks league favorites.

I really hope this works out but this is going to go down as a bad trade.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bucks just got so much worse on defense.

Would have loved to get Jrue in this. But I get why we couldn't.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think this trade is a homerun for the bucks. Unless they meet a highly perimeter-oriented team in the playoffs. If we had met this team in the finals we would’ve won. Holiday was the difference.
Yep, let them steamroll through the East. I'd love to meet this new version of the Bucks in the Finals.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They are saying on the radio the Suns sold low and were ready to move on. Dame trade made it viable.

This is just a bad trade for two reasons. The Suns believe this is addition by subtraction but even if it is, our ceiling is lower. Even though we couldn’t depend on Ayton the ceiling is lower.

Last but not least we just went from league favorites to making the Bucks league favorites.

I really hope this works out but this is going to go down as a bad trade.
The main problem here is that hitching your wagon to DA as the reason we will or won't win a title is absolutely ridiculous.

You all just know that even if he was enthusiastic going into the season, he would start grumbling about touches after week 1.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That's because he doesn't give two craps about winning a title. He's all about the bling and the time.
I don’t buy that. He definitely wants a Natty, but most definitely loves his cheddar and luxury lifestyle

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main problem here is that hitching your wagon to DA as the reason we will or won't win a title is absolutely ridiculous.

You all just know that even if he was enthusiastic going into the season, he would start grumbling about touches after week 1.
I don’t disagree but if your ceiling is now too low to win a title? That’s equally ludicrous.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How is this bad for Portland? For all summer we've been hearing about Tyler Herro and picks or other junk for Lillard who was forcing his way out of town. They end up with Jrue, a legit all star, and Ayton, who could turn into something.

I don't know how this can be viewed as anything other than a big W for the Blazers, and a huge L for the Suns. Jury is still out for Milwaukee, but clearly they felt they needed to placate Giannis.
Jrue too old for their timeline. I suspect they move him too in order free up time for scoot. I think this was a meh trade for Portland unless they can spin Jrue into younger assets/picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awful trade.

Nurkic is just a guy, Gambo is out to lunch when he claims the dude is a impactful defender.

The filler of the trade is about as filler as it gets. Allen is a poor man’s Pat Bev.

Little better develop into a stud.

Gross.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. We give up one of the better young healthy centers in the league plus a really great draftee selection for an oft-injured aging big man and some cannon fodder? And we get no draft picks back? Does someone have incriminating pictures of someone? After all these great Summer moves? What are they crazy?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The only excuse for making this deal is they simply decided keeping Ayton was impossible for some team chemistry reason.

Actually that doesn't excuse it, there had to be a better return available than this.
I think in the end, neither the Suns nor Ayton wanted Ayton to be in Phoenix, but I hate basketball decisions being made with emotion and not logic

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When Jerami Grant is your highest paid player, I'm not sure that's a recipe for success.

Of course, now that Ayton is on that team, he's going to be an all-star -- at least, that is going to be the theme around here for a while.
He very well might become an empty stats all star. I expect his numbers to jump but that team to lose a lot. Unless scoot is the second coming of magic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will have to clear some players.

Wainright's contract is not guaranteed. I don't believe Goodwin's contract is fully guaranteed but I would think they would want to keep him.

Perhaps another trade is coming or there will be players waived.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don’t disagree but if your ceiling is now too low to win a title? That’s equally ludicrous.
I don't think replacing Ayton with Nurkic at this point affects the ceiling all that much. We have yet to see if Nurk will have the same injury problems, and we don't know if there are subsequent moves planned here, because as the trade sits right now, we cannot accommodate it.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I get that Ayton was an immature screwball. I assume the Suns decided a while ago that was never going to improve and they had to move on from him.

What I don't get is not waiting until at least mid-season when the market undoubtedly would have been better than this garbage haul. They didn't even try having him get in a few months under Vogel to potentially build his market value.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was perfectly happy to keep him and see what he did in Vogel's system. Cheese is probably onto something about how Ayton was regarded in the locker room, but man, we have to get some idea of what else is going on.
This is where is land. As much as I bellyached about Ayton I was curious to see him with Vogel. But I have to believe the players in the lockerroom (really book, who had played years with him) just couldn’t stand playing with him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I get that Ayton was an immature screwball. I assume the Suns decided a while ago that was never going to improve and they had to move on from him.

What I don't get is not waiting until at least mid-season when the market undoubtedly would have been better than this garbage haul. They didn't even try having him get in a few months under Vogel to potentially build his market value.
I think that's where Cheesebeef's speculation comes in. They didn't want to go into training camp with him and the distractions he brings. We don't know for sure, but that wouldn't be surprising to me.