2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point guard issue is the biggest one I think.
I think we are fine with all of the ball handlers. They might be right about the bench. Yes we got fantastic value for the guys we picked up for the bench but that still might not translate into great bench. That seems to be the biggest question mark I have heard at least.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The point guard issue is the biggest one I think.
I don’t see why though. A lot of championship teams either didn’t have a traditional PG and/or an elite facilitator. Bottom line is we have the bucket getters necessary to score a ton of points and if we can play anywhere near top 10 defense we will be a force in the playoffs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think we are fine with all of the ball handlers. They might be right about the bench. Yes we got fantastic value for the guys we picked up for the bench but that still might not translate into great bench. That seems to be the biggest question mark I have heard at least.
The bench like the rest of the team is going to come down to health. We have Gordon who is a very good bench scorer. You will likely have at least 1 of the big 3 on the floor at all times and we have some guys that can flat out shoot as well. I just can’t see the bench being a problem for this team on either end if they can stay remotely healthy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t see why though. A lot of championship teams either didn’t have a traditional PG and/or an elite facilitator. Bottom line is we have the bucket getters necessary to score a ton of points and if we can play anywhere near top 10 defense we will be a force in the playoffs.
Agree. Jordan bulls - no real pg. Kobe lakers - no real pg. both had shooters at the position. I’d even argue that Hama murray is closer to a Devin Booker than a traditional pg.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Agree. Jordan bulls - no real pg. Kobe lakers - no real pg. both had shooters at the position. I’d even argue that Hama murray is closer to a Devin Booker than a traditional pg.
Yep. The one thing I would give the Nuggets is that Jokic is an elite facilitator. The Spurs title teams didn’t really rely on a traditional PG either. Same with the GS championship teams. Dray is a good facilitator, but I don’t know that I would call him elite.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Let alone the fact that you can fully expect about 15 assists per game between Book/Beal/Durant.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think with a full summer and training camp, along with the newcomers, we’re going to see a Kevin Durant out for blood.

Amazing that he averaged those numbers and he only played a handful of actual games with us and didn’t look like that.

Similar to Ayton, who was having statistically historical games but didn’t pass the eye test as much as we wanted.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Charles be trolling us again!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

They had this on the PHNX podcast and it was taken totally out of context. They had the audio and it’s Charles pretty much saying it’s way to early to even talk about title contenders then just mentioned a couple teams kind of rambling

This was a big deal at all and they said that on the podcast the way it was reported and what really was said were very different

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They had this on the PHNX podcast and it was taken totally out of context. They had the audio and it’s Charles pretty much saying it’s way to early to even talk about title contenders then just mentioned a couple teams kind of rambling

This was a big deal at all and they said that on the podcast the way it was reported and what really was said were very different

Those who want to listen to this part of the podcast can start at about the 3:55 minute mark.

We can give Charles a break on this one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think with a full summer and training camp, along with the newcomers, we’re going to see a Kevin Durant out for blood.

Amazing that he averaged those numbers and he only played a handful of actual games with us and didn’t look like that.

Similar to Ayton, who was having statistically historical games but didn’t pass the eye test as much as we wanted.

I think this is the trap with KD. He makes all these incredible, difficult shots… and it does show an exceptional amount of individual talent. But are these shots he should even be taking?

In the playoffs this year, absolutely not, his shot selection was dog crap. Is he doing anything to make the guys around him better? In terms of playmaking… no, he was a turnover machine. He does have gravity as a shooter that draws defenders but he is more likely to take the contested shot than to pass to the open man.

If this team is going to win a title we need a significant improvement from Durant.

He needs to be active off the ball and a passer who doesn’t only pass when forced to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is the trap with KD. He makes all these incredible, difficult shots… and it does show an exceptional amount of individual talent. But are these shots he should even be taking?

In the playoffs this year, absolutely not, his shot selection was dog crap. Is he doing anything to make the guys around him better? In terms of playmaking… no, he was a turnover machine. He does have gravity as a shooter that draws defenders but he is more likely to take the contested shot than to pass to the open man.

If this team is going to win a title we need a significant improvement from Durant.

He needs to be active off the ball and a passer who doesn’t only pass when forced to.

In fairness to Durant, he wasn't fully integrated into the Suns style of play. He was taking shots outside the natural flow of the offense. That early injury set him back.

He shouldn't have to be as creative this season if everyone stays healthy. The shots should come easier.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In fairness to Durant, he wasn't fully integrated into the Suns style of play. He was taking shots outside the natural flow of the offense. That early injury set him back.

He shouldn't have to be as creative this season if everyone stays healthy. The shots should come easier.
If the corner shots would have dropped he wouldn’t had to force shots. Other than book, guys just did not step up. It was evident both Durant and book were trying too hard to carry both the offensive and defensive load. So sad but this coming season will be different. They have plenty of help now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the corner shots would have dropped he wouldn’t had to force shots. Other than book, guys just did not step up. It was evident both Durant and book were trying too hard to carry both the offensive and defensive load. So sad but this coming season will be different. They have plenty of help now.

It's amazing the Suns won two games against the Nuggets in the playoffs, with Paul missing 4 games and Ayton 1.

The Suns were also missing a 5th starter going into the playoffs.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

He's 34 years old, has endured one of the worst injuries in basketball, already has his rings and his money, and hasn't led any team anywhere since his Oklahoma City days.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's 34 years old, has endured one of the worst injuries in basketball, already has his rings and his money, and hasn't led any team anywhere since his Oklahoma City days.

All of that is what worried me when we traded for him. Unlike Chris Paul, KD's legacy is set since he's won championships. I always worry about trading for or signing "stars" who no longer have that championship drive. Ring chasing stars seem more driven and willing to gut it out when things get tough.

And for those who want to say KD will increase his legacy delivering the Suns a title, of course but it's not a matter of retiring without a ring and having his impact and greatness questioned or not. He's already a top 5 player from the last 15 years. Winning, or losing, as a Sun doesn't change that. He doesn't seem to care how he's viewed either so I don't see people counting him giving him a chip on his shoulder.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
All of that is what worried me when we traded for him. Unlike Chris Paul, KD's legacy is set since he's won championships. I always worry about trading for or signing "stars" who no longer have that championship drive. Ring chasing stars seem more driven and willing to gut it out when things get tough.

And for those who want to say KD will increase his legacy delivering the Suns a title, of course but it's not a matter of retiring without a ring and having his impact and greatness questioned or not. He's already a top 5 player from the last 15 years. Winning, or losing, as a Sun doesn't change that. He doesn't seem to care how he's viewed either so I don't see people counting him giving him a chip on his shoulder.
I think KD's will to win is as strong as it's ever been - I think players of his caliber can't stand to lose - they're just built like that - and it's why they're the best

I think worrying about KD (aside from getting injured) is more about our boredom than it is KD - dude always working on his game and is always up for the moment

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think KD's will to win is as strong as it's ever been - I think players of his caliber can't stand to lose - they're just built like that - and it's why they're the best

I think worrying about KD (aside from getting injured) is more about our boredom than it is KD - dude always working on his game and is always up for the moment

I don't believe that to be true. He wouldn't have left Golden State if he wanted to keep winning rings. He was their Finals MVP when they did win. It wasn't a matter of touches or winning, it was complacency and he had his titles so he could go play with his buddy in Brooklyn. That didn't work out but he still re-upped there.

I don't believe anyone would say his drive for a championship is the same as it was in OKC or that first year in Golden State. Achieving that goal lessens the desire, whether he acknowledges that or not. That's another reason it's rare to see teams win run off multiple titles in a row, like the Spurs for example. They would grow complacent and it'd take some new blood to get their drive back. Once they'd win they sort of take a backseat for a couple of years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz