Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the hell is our damn schedule going to be announced? I got stuff to plan next week but want to plan it around the freaking games!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Could it be part of Popovich's success is replenishing his coaches with new ones who bring in new ideas to his organization? :shrug:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since a lot has been said about retaining Okogie this off-season, I found this interesting. Spotrac has him listed as the #18 SG available. Given his size he's listed as a SG when he's definitely more of a SF but wings are more interchangeable than they've ever been so I wouldn't get hung up on that. Whether you agree or disagree with his placement, I hope that's a sign of things to come and he's overpaid because spending all available cash to resign him would be a mistake. I like him but this team really needs to turn the MLE into 2 players and use the biannual exception, if it's available.

Heres the write up on Josh...

Okogie has been an outstanding story this season. After his career petered out in Minnesota, he's bounced back with the Suns. He's shot just well enough to complement his defense and that's kept him on the floor this year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since a lot has been said about retaining Okogie this off-season, I found this interesting. Spotrac has him listed as the #18 SG available. Given his size he's listed as a SG when he's definitely more of a SF but wings are more interchangeable than they've ever been so I wouldn't get hung up on that. Whether you agree or disagree with his placement, I hope that's a sign of things to come and he's overpaid because spending all available cash to resign him would be a mistake. I like him but this team really needs to turn the MLE into 2 players and use the biannual exception, if it's available.

Heres the write up on Josh...

Okogie has been an outstanding story this season. After his career petered out in Minnesota, he's bounced back with the Suns. He's shot just well enough to complement his defense and that's kept him on the floor this year.

The Suns definitely should lock up Saban Lee. I like how he stood up to Westbrook.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ronin you're too quick. I was coming here to post that photo. Cool that they did it in the throwbacks.

This is the "4k" version from Twitter. Not sure how it saved but its pretty large for a basic image.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you could probably guess, I would rather he is cut and we find someone better.

For the amount of money the Suns have to spend they may be lucky to keep Saban Lee. He has an NBA future.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of people picking the Suns. Oddly, I don't feel pressure like in previous years. Not sure if it's confidence or maybe I consider this first playoff run with KD a bonus.

Mentally, I know they better take advantage of this moment. These guys might never all be healthy at once again.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the amount of money the Suns have to spend they may be lucky to keep Saban Lee. He has an NBA future.
Yeah, I just don't agree. Many other guys in the G-league and overseas that are equivalent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Lots of people picking the Suns. Oddly, I don't feel pressure like in previous years. Not sure if it's confidence or maybe I consider this first playoff run with KD a bonus.

Mentally, I know they better take advantage of this moment. These guys might never all be healthy at once again.
I feel like I’m occupying similar space. Next year is the year. This year whatever we get is gravy.

Until the first jump ball on Sunday. Then I’ll be a rabid fan again.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to win a championship this season. No excuses.

I know arguments can be made for the window being pushed down the road, but the Suns made their big move. The Suns are no longer a young team. They played all their chips.

The new CBA favors teams that do not overspend and build through the draft.

Younger teams will be maturing next season. It only gets tougher to win a championship going forward.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like I’m occupying similar space. Next year is the year. This year whatever we get is gravy.

For some reason I feel more insecure about next year although I think we have a legit shot no matter what happens this year. Why? Because of how things played out the last two years and what it might do to our player's heads if we go down 3 years running even though we have Durant. Factor in the uncertainty around Paul and KD staying healthy for an entire season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can’t expect a team that’s only played 8 games together to be the machine a championship team needs to be to win it all.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can’t expect a team that’s only played 8 games together to be the machine a championship team needs to be to win it all.
I get this too. The one thing though that is different? We didn't have to redesign our team to fit him in since we had a mid-range style offense he just plugs into. I get it though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns put themselves in win-now mode with a shortened window. This is their time.

Maybe next season will be another opportunity, but there are a lot of good young teams on their way up, loaded with assets, like OKC.

Unless Ayton blooms, the Suns may be forced to trade him, but I'm not sure of his trade value.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating Saban Lee.
He may be. But on the other side of the equation you have a tendency to overrate every end of bench guard we’ve had in the roster over the past few years. You also have tendency to see a PG in every guard we sign, whether or not they have any definitive PG skills.

That said, I’d rather see saban with the ball than shamet should Payne be unavailable.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Equivalent, yet they are deserving over Lee?
I don't see any upside with him. I would rather have a player with some potential to develop.

I will admit some of this is anger at him for taking a far better player - Washington's job.

Last edited:

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Yeah I legit have no expectations because if you told me we lost in round 1 or we won a title, I’d believe either scenario lol. What I do expect though is if we do lose, don’t go out like chumps like we did last year. That was embarrassing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose