Suns @ Bulls Friday game thread 3-3-2023

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Two things I noticed last game. When Durant was in, I've never seen Booker so wide open on threes! Then in the game when Book was in without Durant, there was a defender or two right in his face. Durant changes the game for Booker so much!

Landale - I defy anyone to watch that game and count ONLY 6 rebounds for him. They shorted him so badly on rebound totals it was funny. He probably had that many just in offensive boards alone. There was at least one trip, if not two, he grabbed two offensive boards on that trip to give us three shots at a basket. Dude was working the boards!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rebounds aren’t an indication of effort, remember?

That was you.

If you’re not gonna praise him when he gets 20 rebounds don’t criticize when he doesn’t. Gotta stay consistent here
Man, I can’t help you if don’t understand basic stuff like you can exert effort on 20 plays and get rebounds and coast through the other 140 some odd plays he’s on the court for. That was the case for the SINGLE game he had 20 and was receiving criticism from virtually the entire board that watched the game except you, who always defends him. Because with eyes - not just stats - we literally saw him stand there watching. I’m 100% consistent because I base my criticism on what I see. If Ayton has a poor statistical game that I didn’t watch I won’t comment because I don’t actually know what happened. I watched both the SINGLE game you’re referencing where a bunch of us called out his effort and last nights game. And saw poor effort in both.

But unlike me, your argument about effort is based solely on stats. So why aren’t you calling out his effort here? Oh, that’s right, because Ayton never does anything wrong in your eyes. The only poster being inconsistent is you buddy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Speaking of rebounds - Landale had twice as many rebounds as Ayton. CP3 had twice as many rebounds as Ayton. Bazley had just as many as Ayton while playing a full 20 minutes less.

You must be registered for see images attach

Look, if they're not getting the ball to Ayton that's one thing. But if they're not getting him the ball he needs to crash the boards to be productive and it really is that simple
Landale was a much bigger pest to the bulls all night and it was due to effort.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That clip shows the great ball movement last night. Other than that first highlight, this largely played out with the Suns scoring buckets on the perimeter. Chicago was never able to stop it so we never went away from the perimeter attack.

Someone was generally open on the perimeter. Okogie was able to make them pay. No real reason for forcing the ball into DA, and when they did try ended we ended up with a couple of turnovers. Although I would like to see DA more active on the glass, can't really fault him for not putting up 20 points last night.

With the new lineup, I think we can expect the Suns to take this flexible approach on offense, taking what the defense gives them. The opposing defense is going to have to pick their poison on who they leave open. Towards the end of the game, they left CP3 open and he made them pay and ended up in double digits in scoring and assists.

We put up 125 points last night, which is about 13 points over our season average and 4 points more than the highest scoring team in the NBA (120.9/game). We all should remember that there is only one basketball. So a little less angst may be in order around here when certain players aren't scoring a lot.

This is an unselfish team and they are going to find the open man, even though it may not help the boxscore for individual stats for everyone, every night.
Agree. I haven’t mentioned Ayton’s scoring because that was a function of the flow of the offense. That wasn’t a lack of effort. Just the poor rebounding.

I’m really curious if okogie can consistently maintain a high level of scoring because the defense that we saw, or some iteration of it, is what’s going to become most prevalent - make okogie beat us. I have a difficult time seeing a run of 20 point games, but if he’s even bumping up to 13-16 regularly that tactic isn’t going to work against us. He’s been a real find by jones.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not exactly. If his defensive assignment puts him out of position for rebounds, then others in the team need to grab the rebound, or you change the defensive scheme.
No defensive position consistent keeps an athletic 7 footer who played 27 minutes from getting more than 3 rebounds. Our guards, who are tasked with guarding the perimeter all game average more than that. 3 is an effort thing from Ayton.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. I haven’t mentioned Ayton’s scoring because that was a function of the flow of the offense. That wasn’t a lack of effort. Just the poor rebounding.

I’m really curious if okogie can consistently maintain a high level of scoring because the defense that we saw, or some iteration of it, is what’s going to become most prevalent - make okogie beat us. I have a difficult time seeing a run of 20 point games, but if he’s even bumping up to 13-16 regularly that tactic isn’t going to work against us. He’s been a real find by jones.

I’m not mad about Aytons scoring as well. The ball movement had guys open on the perimeter due to the KD effect, they chose who would shoot and thankfully we made them pay all night whether it was Okogie or Cp3.

My concern there is for Okogie as well but he just keeps surprising. Looks like he didn’t defer last night like the okc game and made the bulls pay. They literally just let him shoot in the first quarter without any contest, he was so wide open. That percentage he shot from 3 isn’t sustainable for anyone, 50%.

Teams will definitely have to pick their poison.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
3 rebounds
It's a low number, but I don't particularly have an issue with it in a game where we won the rebound battle by 7 rebounds. Just shows that his teammates were gobbling up rebounds that he probably would have had otherwise.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve said it over and over in this thread this game was really off. DA and Paul had a combined 2 FGA at halftime. We didn’t run our offense at all.

Methinks we now have a different offense. Not just pick and roll, though we will see that here and there depending on the D.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
On nights like last night we didn't need points from Ayton. We needed defense, we needed rebounds and we needed smooth outlet passes in transition after the rebounds. He doesn't need to be the first person down the court on offense if we're not pushing ball inside. And it's great he knocks down the 10-15 footer consistently but every starter not named 3kogie hits that shot consistently. He needs to own the paint and get that inside dirt because we got more range than Danny Ange outside the key. Landale figured this out and has absorbed Biz's minutes in doing so, just grab your lunch pail and LFG. As far as offensively - DeAndre needs to keep them hands ready when the defenses collapse due to Booker/ Durant driving. And try slashing to the bucket instead of this wanna be physical post up nonsense

So far Ayton IS the adjustment period but I think he can figure it out tho

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, I can’t help you if don’t understand basic stuff like you can exert effort on 20 plays and get rebounds and coast through the other 140 some odd plays he’s on the court for. That was the case for the SINGLE game he had 20 and was receiving criticism from virtually the entire board that watched the game except you, who always defends him. Because with eyes - not just stats - we literally saw him stand there watching. I’m 100% consistent because I base my criticism on what I see. If Ayton has a poor statistical game that I didn’t watch I won’t comment because I don’t actually know what happened. I watched both the SINGLE game you’re referencing where a bunch of us called out his effort and last nights game. And saw poor effort in both.

But unlike me, your argument about effort is based solely on stats. So why aren’t you calling out his effort here? Oh, that’s right, because Ayton never does anything wrong in your eyes. The only poster being inconsistent is you buddy.

It’s like clock work.

I criticize him plenty but keep doing you.

He sucks when he gets 20 rebounds he sucks when he gets 3 rebounds ooooh but it’s so much more complicated right lol

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Obviously, Monty has work to do with this team offensively. although Book and Durant are getting wide open looks now, when defenders decide to commit to the perimeter, Ayton will have single coverage underneath. Monty has the challenge of keeping Ayton involved in offense. It was working well before hand with P&R. I expect better rebounding numbers by Ayton, but it’s hard to make the argument that he was involved in the offensive game plan seeing as there wasn’t a single play ran for him

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bold prediction: Within the next two seasons, Ayton demands to be traded again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I misremembering something here. When was the first time he demanded being traded?

That said, the above wouldn’t surprise me. Also wouldn’t surprise me if the overwhelming majority of Suns fans demanded the same thing.

Even with KD, winning a title hinges a lot on Ayton bringing consistent, focused effort throughout the playoffs. He’s the X-Factor.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think if we don’t win a championship you could see Ayton, Paul and Monty all gone

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if they are winning titles. Maybe if over the next few seasons the Suns go absolutely in the tank I could see Ayton and Booker bolting. However, with this new owner? I can see Ishiba making deals to reload and keep the team competative.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s like clock work.

I criticize him plenty but keep doing you.

He sucks when he gets 20 rebounds he sucks when he gets 3 rebounds ooooh but it’s so much more complicated right lol
You anchor to one game where we pointed out his effort and he got 20 rebounds. Every other monster game he’s had has gotten mad approval around here. Your Ayton persecution complex runneth over with mucho abundance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe. If he decides to hit the offensive glass with abandon he might find he can feast because he’ll only have to contend with his opposing center as all other defenders should be engaged on the perimeter. He could make a killing on the glass with putbacks . . . if he really wants to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose