Suns @ Bulls Friday game thread 3-3-2023

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton took 4 shots and had 3 rebounds. Nonexistent
And just made almost zero effort to contest jumper after jumper stuck in his face.

He is what he is. So is Paul at this point. We just need them to hopefully have 4 out of 7 games a series where they flash.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton shows up it's a blow out. I have a feeling for the rest of this year it's going to be Paul and Ayton taking turns who shows up unfortunately. The good news is that we have Durant who looks really good despite being limited.

They won by 20 it's hilarious we are like just 20

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure would have been nice If Brooklyn loved DA and not Mikal. DA should be dominant with Durant and Book on the floor

On some level I agree but Okogie is showing that well in those Mikael minutes.

Biz and Landale will never do what Ayton does 4 games out of 6

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
DA was overlooked on offense, while Book played too much hero ball for too long that led to Bulls' comeback in the first half. On D, DA was switching to perimeter a lot and he is not active at rebounding as usual. Landale has good fundamental and hustles on both sides. He didn't rush to score like last game but acted as a ball facilitator very well. Craig hustles but is disasterous on offense; he and Damion are acceptable only when their 3 falls. Payne has a quick step but otherwise very inefficient at running the offense. We need Warren to provide more steay offense when Book sits. And, Okogie is really a calm and smart player on both sides.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton sags in no man’s land so damn much on defense just repeatedly giving up open jumpers.
Yeah I don’t get it. He neither drops nor stops the middie. If he’s taught to do that I’m unsure the strategy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This just in: KD, good at basketball.

He just makes it look easy easy and effortless. And when he’s covered he’s not really covered.

Book ebbing and flowing in and outta the offense was weird. Still getting his timing and flow back.

Nice game by landale. Active.

Paul just still looks pudgy to me.

3 rebounds in 27 minutes. HAyton it.

Okogie taking full advantage of the Grand Canyon being granted him in presence of the big four. Good for him. I think first Durant game he was hesitant, like “what’s my role?” Tonight he just attacked like he had been more recently. He’s got to keep that aggression until it’s obvious he’s off.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't figure Paul out man...looks at times like some other dude and then sometimes prime CP3...them Aliens screwed him up
I think Chris is in facilitator mode. His shots are last resort behind everyone else on the court, including Okogie. I am serious though. I am a believer that vegan diets are bad news long term. Of course bringing up that subject is akin to politics.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only thing I’m not feeling about Durant are his minutes.

27 against charlotte
31 at Bulls

Oh and Ayton standing flat footed on people shooting jumpers right in his face, and when Okogie ran into his knee. Wake up guy!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

27 against charlotte
31 at Bulls

Oh and Ayton standing flat footed on people shooting jumpers right in his face, and when Okogie ran into his knee. Wake up guy!

Ayton is getting far too bad a rap for this game. It was just one of those games where his teammates ignore him on offense and, defensively, we faced a team that goes for low value mid range jumpers.

Ayton was routinely (and by defensive design) getting switched onto the ball handler, he didn't give them the 3, he didn't give them the paint, if they have to settle for a 12-16 foot jumper... then great. I will be happy to live with my center only allowing, low value, mid range looks from guards, that by design, he is forced to defend.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton is getting far too bad a rap for this game. It was just one of those games where his teammates ignore him on offense and, defensively, we faced a team that goes for low value mid range jumpers.

Ayton was routinely (and by defensive design) getting switched onto the ball handler, he didn't give them the 3, he didn't give them the paint, if they have to settle for a 12-16 foot jumper... then great. I will be happy to live with my center only allowing, low value, mid range looks from guards, that by design, he is forced to defend.
3 rebounds

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't figure Paul out man...looks at times like some other dude and then sometimes prime CP3...them Aliens screwed him up
Well, I know this much, he is going to look bad more than good. That is the way it has gone all season, and there is no fountain of youth.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

27 against charlotte
31 at Bulls

Yeah was looking at KDs minutes as well. He looks good and doesn't seem to be overworking out there.
I wouldn't be surprised if the restriction gets removed soon.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KD isn't playing too many minutes. I know we all worry but there's no chance the trainer's, coaching staff, and KD himself would be out there as much as he's been if he weren't capable of playing at 100% or whatever level he feels he needs to be at. Neither game has been that difficult so he hasn't had to really exert himself.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The cost of double-teaming Kevin Durant.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That clip shows the great ball movement last night. Other than that first highlight, this largely played out with the Suns scoring buckets on the perimeter. Chicago was never able to stop it so we never went away from the perimeter attack.

Someone was generally open on the perimeter. Okogie was able to make them pay. No real reason for forcing the ball into DA, and when they did try ended we ended up with a couple of turnovers. Although I would like to see DA more active on the glass, can't really fault him for not putting up 20 points last night.

With the new lineup, I think we can expect the Suns to take this flexible approach on offense, taking what the defense gives them. The opposing defense is going to have to pick their poison on who they leave open. Towards the end of the game, they left CP3 open and he made them pay and ended up in double digits in scoring and assists.

We put up 125 points last night, which is about 13 points over our season average and 4 points more than the highest scoring team in the NBA (120.9/game). We all should remember that there is only one basketball. So a little less angst may be in order around here when certain players aren't scoring a lot.

This is an unselfish team and they are going to find the open man, even though it may not help the boxscore for individual stats for everyone, every night.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’ve said it over and over in this thread this game was really off. DA and Paul had a combined 2 FGA at halftime. We didn’t run our offense at all.

When it comes to big men switching that’s what he’s supposed to do. His job is to not let his man get by him. We want then taking long jumpers. That’s why I’m the Mavs series Ayton was our best defender on Luka by a mile. I think he was -7/8 better than the next Suns player on him. Keep him in front of you and make him take long jumpers. That’s not Lukas game. It’s by design

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Speaking of rebounds - Landale had twice as many rebounds as Ayton. CP3 had twice as many rebounds as Ayton. Bazley had just as many as Ayton while playing a full 20 minutes less.

You must be registered for see images attach

Look, if they're not getting the ball to Ayton that's one thing. But if they're not getting him the ball he needs to crash the boards to be productive and it really is that simple

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That clip shows the great ball movement last night. Other than that first highlight, this largely played out with the Suns scoring buckets on the perimeter. Chicago was never able to stop it so we never went away from the perimeter attack.

Someone was generally open on the perimeter. Okogie was able to make them pay. No real reason for forcing the ball into DA, and when they did try ended we ended up with a couple of turnovers. Although I would like to see DA more active on the glass, can't really fault him for not putting up 20 points last night.

With the new lineup, I think we can expect the Suns to take this flexible approach on offense, taking what the defense gives them. The opposing defense is going to have to pick their poison on who they leave open. Towards the end of the game, they left CP3 open and he made them pay and ended up in double digits in scoring and assists.

We put up 125 points last night, which is about 13 points over our season average and 4 points more than the highest scoring team in the NBA (120.9/game). We all should remember that there is only one basketball. So a little less angst may be in order around here when certain players aren't scoring a lot.

This is an unselfish team and they are going to find the open man, even though it may not help the boxscore for individual stats for everyone, every night.
Great post.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speaking of rebounds - Landale had twice as many rebounds as Ayton. CP3 had twice as many rebounds as Ayton. Bazley had just as many as Ayton while playing a full 20 minutes less.

You must be registered for see images attach

Look, if they're not getting the ball to Ayton that's one thing. But if they're not getting him the ball he needs to crash the boards to be productive and it really is that simple
Not exactly. If his defensive assignment puts him out of position for rebounds, then others in the team need to grab the rebound, or you change the defensive scheme.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly. If his defensive assignment puts him out of position for rebounds, then others in the team need to grab the rebound, or you change the defensive scheme.

He wasn't out of position every play, especially offensively. He had 2 defensive and 1 offensive rebound. That's pathetic. It's not like there was a great rebounder on either side of the ball snatching them all up.

The Suns had 28 defensive boards and Chicago had 9 offensive, so 37 boards were available and Ayton grabbed 2 of them. On the other end there were 25 defensive boards Chicago had and 13 offensive for the Suns, 38 total and Ayton got 1. I know he wasn't on the floor for all of them but he did one of his vanishing acts, again. Thankfully he's further down the pecking order and he can get away with doing less but out of 75 boards, he really should have come down with more than 3. That is not DominAyton.

For some reason Ayton doesn't like battling inside against big European bigs like Vucevic, Jonas, Zubac, etc. He does with Jokic, who is better than all of those guys but maybe those other guys are more physical and that keeps Ayton out of the paint for rebounds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose