Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Do we honestly think Monti, Gannon and now Petzing are unfamiliar with Kyler Murray? Are we seriously suggesting Kyler's new bosses (and that's exactly what they are) haven't seen the clip of Kyler berating Kingswussy on live television? And that the three new arrivals haven't discussed in great detail a plan on how to deal with a head strong quarterback????

Monti, Gannon and Petzing are essentially all rookies. Everything they do in their first opportunity will dictate if they have any future opportunities. Does anyone know if Petzing is a hardass? Or if he's a "player's coach"?

I'd think Mikey and Monti had the "how to proceed with Kyler" conversation. Same goes with Monti and Gannon, same goes with Gannon and Petzing. Why would anyone hire the next if they didn't think they were capable?

And why are posters in here acting like Kyler has some right to disrespect any of his coaches? The same posters who've been demanding accountability for Kyler since Kliff got canned? The jumping to conclusions and automatically expecting the worst is one thing - I get it - we're Cardinals fans after all.

But to imply Kyler is going to out alpha the entire new coaching staff.. without even knowing our new coaching staff seems rather premature.

I myself believe Kyler is pretty much all Gannon and Petzing talked about. That it was agreed everything hinges on Murray

Perhaps Gannon has already seen the way Petzing interacts with certain personalities, and that's why Petzing got the nod

This may come as a shock to some of you but all the new hires know more about football than we do. Same goes for how to work with and get the best out of football players, they all have years of experience. But it's all good - I aint tripping - do your thing

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah… I get being agnostic on this hire, in wait and see mode or very cautiously optimistic if for no other reason than we are finally empowering our HC to build his own staff, but the fluffing on this guy’s resume is starting to crack me up.

If this guy was hired to OC and call plays for any of our rivals, the entire board would be laughing at them… “the Cleveland QB coach?!”
Yes. The resume is awful and he does not have a vet QB who is a great communicator to help him not a HC with an offensive background. Rallis works because of Gannon to help him and defensive roster of low expectations. Petzing does not have that luxury.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Are you being argumentative and obtuse on purpose?

I'm neither a fan nor a detractor of this hire.

But a young riser is a guy who has seen consistent promotions. The opposite of a Lou Anarumo.
He hasn’t been promoted in four years since he went from an assistant to an actual position coach.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Explain to me what makes Petzing a “young riser”?

Yeah… I get being agnostic on this hire, in wait and see mode or very cautiously optimistic if for no other reason than we are finally empowering our HC to build his own staff, but the fluffing on this guy’s resume is starting to crack me up.

If this guy was hired to OC and call plays for any of our rivals, the entire board would be laughing at them… “the Cleveland QB coach?!”

I don't get it. How's he any less "young riser" then the long list of guys I've already mentioned when they became OC?

Who here was lamenting Washington making Kevin O'Connell OC? Or the Vikings with Stefanski? Or the Colts with Sirianni? Who'd heard of Sean McVay before Washington made him OC?

They were all no name position coaches. Nobody was putting them on the cover of Sports Illustrated as the next big thing.

How's Petzing any different than the hundreds of mid 30's position coaches promoted to OC in the history of the NFL?

He might not be good, who knows? But I don't understand some saying he's definately bad.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes. The resume is awful and he does not have a vet QB who is a great communicator to help him not a HC with an offensive background. Rallis works because of Gannon to help him and defensive roster of low expectations. Petzing does not have that luxury.
Wait for more hires. Gannon specifically said he's going to mix in some experience.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How is his resume awful?

One of these is Drew Petzing. The others are current HC's when they first became an OC.

Age 35. 2 years as Offensive assistant. 2 years as assistant WR coach. 1 year as Assistant QB coach. 1 year as WR coach. 2 years as TE coach. 1 year as QB coach.

Age 32. 3 years as QB coach.

Age 36. 4 years assistant QB coach. 2 years TE coach. 1 year RB coach. 2 years QB coach.

Age 36. 2 years defensive assistant. 2 years QB coach.

Age 37. 3 years Offensive QC. 1 year Assistant QB coach. 3 year WR coach. 2 years QB coach.

Age 35. 2 years defensive assistant. 3 years offensive QC. 3 years quarterbacks coach.

Spot the difference. If anything Petzing has more experience.

Petzing may or may not work out but it won't be because of his age or experience.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't get it. How's he any less "young riser" then the long list of guys I've already mentioned when they became OC?

Who here was lamenting Washington making Kevin O'Connell OC? Or the Vikings with Stefanski? Or the Colts with Sirianni? Who'd heard of Sean McVay before Washington made him OC?

They were all no name position coaches. Nobody was putting them on the cover of Sports Illustrated as the next big thing.

How's Petzing any different than the hundreds of mid 30's position coaches promoted to OC in the history of the NFL?

He might not be good, who knows? But I don't understand some saying he's definately bad.
It's all a gamble with nearly every hire. We're all sitting here acting like we know these people, know their capabilities. It's silly.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dan Pitcher…more qualified than Petzing.

Dan Pitcher signed a new deal with a pay rise and said he didn't feel like it was the time to leave the Bengals. He said he sees a Superbowl in their future and wants to be part of it.

How is less years as a position coach more qualified?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
lmao I'm going to hop off for a minute and smoke a jay because the absurdity in here has me feeling some type of way

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson