New Owner - Mat Ishbia

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love what I hear about him. He is competative. Wants to win. Sounds like he will be active in getting talent here. If this doesn't translate eventually into a title I will be beside myself as a long time Suns fan.

The more I read about him the more I like him. Seems to be a real sports fan and not just someone who got into sports because it was a way to make a buck. He's a former collegiate player, which is a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's as knowledgeable of the NBA as some of this board is, I'd actually bet he was as least that knowledgeable of league history. I'm excited for the first time in a long time. This almost feels like the last Finals run. That was unexpected and kind of surreal, I didn't pause and take it in because it was so weird and I think that's why it didn't really hurt to lose. This feels like we'll get another chance at it, not like the Sarver years where making the playoffs would have been a nice change.

I hope Sarver takes his money and gets out of Arizona entirely. Adios a-hole! You won't be missed and your name is now a dirty word along the likes of "Horry" to Suns fans going forward.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The more I read about him the more I like him. Seems to be a real sports fan and not just someone who got into sports because it was a way to make a buck. He's a former collegiate player, which is a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's as knowledgeable of the NBA as some of this board is, I'd actually bet he was as least that knowledgeable of league history. I'm excited for the first time in a long time. This almost feels like the last Finals run. That was unexpected and kind of surreal, I didn't pause and take it in because it was so weird and I think that's why it didn't really hurt to lose. This feels like we'll get another chance at it, not like the Sarver years where making the playoffs would have been a nice change.

I hope Sarver takes his money and gets out of Arizona entirely. Adios a-hole! You won't be missed and your name is now a dirty word along the likes of "Horry" to Suns fans going forward.
As long as he doesn't bring in Isiah Thomas!!!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woj is reporting that the new owner plans on being very hands on when it comes to acquiring talent for the team. He plans on being active. This might spell trouble for James Jones or at the very least means James Jones is going to have to start being more aggressive to keep his job.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woj is reporting that the new owner plans on being very hands on when it comes to acquiring talent for the team. He plans on being active. This might spell trouble for James Jones or at the very least means James Jones is going to have to start being more aggressive to keep his job.
This is not necessarily a good thing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… we have to see with that kind of mentality.

If it means he wants to be aggressive and won’t settle, great. But if he just wants to meddle, that ain’t good either.

My hope it’s the former and if Jones sits in his hands again and does nothing to upgrade the team, those Bob Myers rumors are correct and he brings him in as new GM.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it. I know I have reservations but that is because of Sarver. Jerry was very hands on as well. The biggest difference for me? Ishbia is said to be very knowledgeable about basketball unlike Sarver. If this means he is going to push the team to take chances? I am all for it.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
It's not a bad thing either. I think it's an improvement over an owner who cared more about the accounting ledger than basketball record.

Exactly.

I'm not as worried about it as some others are. Jones and Ishbia are both hoop heads, in that if Jones has a rational basketball reason for any of his moves or non-moves, Ishbia will more than likely understand, versus our old moron of an owner who only saw dollar signs and black kids who could be lured in by hooking them up with local girls willing to get pregnant.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… we have to see with that kind of mentality.

If it means he wants to be aggressive and won’t settle, great. But if he just wants to meddle, that ain’t good either.

My hope it’s the former and if Jones sits in his hands again and does nothing to upgrade the team, those Bob Myers rumors are correct and he brings him in as new GM.
Out of curiosity, is that your boiling point for JJ? If Jones does nothing before the deadline? Just curious because it appears many fans are sick of the "running it back" approach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some encouraging remarks by the Suns new owner.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Yes. But at the same time, I think we have a championship-contending team without doing anything over the next 2 days.”

No we don't. However, he is saying this just in case we can't pull off any trades.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, is that your boiling point for JJ? If Jones does nothing before the deadline? Just curious because it appears many fans are sick of the "running it back" approach.
Nah… I’m already done with him. My boiling point was doing nothing over the summer then whatever happened with this Crowder stupidity.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Further comments from Mat Ishba, the Suns new owner.

ABC News:

By TIM REYNOLDS AP Basketball Writer
February 7, 2023, 2:33 PM

“I’m going to spend a lot of time listening and learning, then make the adjustments to make this not only one of the best organizations in the NBA but also one of the best places to work,” Mat Ishbia told The Associated Press. “That’s a huge part of my success here in Michigan and it will be a big part of our success now in Phoenix. I don’t have enough information to know what exactly it’s been like, but I will dig in and roll up my sleeves and figure it out over the next three, four, five months-plus.”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Yes. But at the same time, I think we have a championship-contending team without doing anything over the next 2 days.”

No we don't. However, he is saying this just in case we can't pull off any trades.
Yeah, I think that more PR speak than anything else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One would think the introductory press conference for Mat Ishbia as the Suns new owner would have been carried live.

It will probably show up on YouTube later, but it would have been nice to see it in real time.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One would think the introductory press conference for Mat Ishbia as the Suns new owner would have been carried live.

It will probably show up on YouTube later, but it would have been nice to see it in real time.
I thought it's tomorrow @ Footprint?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam Garvin will continue in his role as team vice chairman and minority owner.