NFL championship games thread 1-29-23

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand, but you've got 3 timeouts and a WR rushing his entire team to the line. Use a TO! He didn't call one the entire 1st half, so he can't use that as an excuse...and not having a quick enough view is the perfect time to call one, especially in the 1st half. Worst case scenario they rule the catch was good, but your defense got a chance to regroup.
Or fake an injury to save the timeout

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yahoo says it's a "complete tear" that has to have surgery. Normally a basedball pitcher injury not that common in football. In baseball they do a complete reconstruction, "Tommy John" surgery but the 49ers are hoping that won't be needed for Purdy.

Local speculation is already they'll try and get Tom Brady for next year.
Side note/rumor - Lance got popped with an illegal firearm at a nightclub but a team employee took the hit for it. Happened it last several weeks.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're wrong pal, I was talking about early 70's, JD Drew wasn't even born then lol. It was an Eagles game not Phillies.
Cardsfaninlouky, they didn't throw batteries at Santa. They threw only snowballs. The BATTERIES were for JD Drew. People conflate the stories all the time.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardsfaninlouky, they didn't throw batteries at Santa. They threw only snowballs. The BATTERIES were for JD Drew. People conflate the stories all the time.
Snowballs or batteries, both can cause damage. You aren't helping your case like you may think you are.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Snowballs or batteries, both can cause damage. You aren't helping your case like you may think you are.
I've been hit by both and can say that there is a reason kids didn't grow up having battery fights.......

Again, there is plenty of bad behavior in Philly - this incident from over 50 years ago gets trotted out all the time though

Bills fans were throwing snowballs at players and refs during the game this season - I'm sure that will still be brought up 50 years from now.........

Again, not right but wildly overblown

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tell that to the late John Facenda, he talked about snowballs & batteries being thrown at Santa, the late Steve Sabol even expanded on it about the batteries.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tell that to the late John Facenda, he talked about snowballs & batteries being thrown at Santa, the late Steve Sabol even expanded on it about the batteries.
There may have been a battery or two thrown in there, but people try to make it seem like a barrage of D batteries were being hurled at that man. That was not the case. The story for those who know and were there, is that he was pelted with snowballs. The story is subject to embellishment of course, but my basic point is that people like to take the easy way out and pile on Philadephia fans without knowing the whole story. And for what it's worth I have NEVER heard either one of them give an account of what happened. Not saying you're wrong, just saying I never heard it. If you can send me to a link of either one of them speaking about it, I'd like to check it out myself.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, I'm not trying to argue that it's okay either way. I'm just saying that I don't particularly care for the narrative that scumbag fan behavior is exclusive to Philadelphians Jon. You throw a battery your azz needs to go to jail, but we're not the only city to ever have thrown snowballs at Santa Claus or otherwise. Wrong either way to your point, and I would never in a million years. But people like to cite that story as to why we're soooo horrible and half the time they don't even get these tales of "ill repute" correct.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There may have been a battery or two thrown in there, but people try to make it seem like a barrage of D batteries were being hurled at that man. That was not the case. The story for those who know and were there, is that he was pelted with snowballs. The story is subject to embellishment of course, but my basic point is that people like to take the easy way out and pile on Philadephia fans without knowing the whole story. And for what it's worth I have NEVER heard either one of them give an account of what happened. Not saying you're wrong, just saying I never heard it. If you can send me to a link of either one of them speaking about it, I'd like to check it out myself.
No link, I watched it on one of the NFL films years ago or I would try & find it for you.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I've been hit by both and can say that there is a reason kids didn't grow up having battery fights.......

Again, there is plenty of bad behavior in Philly - this incident from over 50 years ago gets trotted out all the time though

Bills fans were throwing snowballs at players and refs during the game this season - I'm sure that will still be brought up 50 years from now.........

LMAO... can tag

when I was a kid we played can tag... you take a tin can, corn, green beans, whatever...out of the garbage...fill it with sand, push the top back in place then wrap it all up in tape. Then run around the yard flinging it at each other. ... dude, we ****** each other UP with that can...it was a blast. My best buddy still had a scar on his back from can tag when he was 35

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Philly fans were throwing batteries a lot more recent than 50 years ago though... found an article for a 99 incident...and even Doug Pederson, the eagles coach, says when he played against the eagles he had batteries thrown at him

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
LMAO... can tag

when I was a kid we played can tag... you take a tin can, corn, green beans, whatever...out of the garbage...fill it with sand, push the top back in place then wrap it all up in tape. Then run around the yard flinging it at each other. ... dude, we ****** each other UP with that can...it was a blast. My best buddy still had a scar on his back from can tag when he was 35
We'd get at it with horse chestnuts - there were some trees in the neighborhood and fall was usually a war zone

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Maaan, the days of our youth. We literally found the pain of our friends hilarious.

Yeah. Thankfully made it through unscathed - mostly.

Thanksgiving the horse chestnut fights would be large as many kids our age would have Thanksgiving with their families so they numbers were large

Not only were the nuts hard, but they were held in a spiny hard shell

One year we set up defenses, etc - incorporated a refrigerator box that was laying around

We got the bright idea to have one kids get into the box and we'd have him close down a hill in it.

Friction wasn't our friend, so it took a few of us and a little bit of a hard shove to get it moving

Instead of gliding it rolled and did a bunch of other things - kids was tossed around pretty good and parents weren't particularly amused

But we all learned some science over break, so.......