Waiting to trade Crowder

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Coby White for Jae Crowder? I hope we get a pick or something extra. Seems like a bad move if it's straight up because White is headed to RFA and we don't need a shoot first combo guard who hasn't shown much NBA level skill.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I would be for this. This guy likes to drive to the basket.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would be for this. This guy likes to drive to the basket.

If Coby came in knowing we need a pass first PG and was willing to change it up a lil bit It could work out.
With all the flamethrowers and easy buckets on this team, a pass first guy could make a good career for himself without being a "Point God".
He wouldn't be my first choice and we can eventually move him to the bench when we draft/find our PGOF.
He's been trending down so we could get a deal when/if we sign him long term.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He came out early so he’s young. Did’nt want him that draft and don’t want him now. But like you said he better then someone not playing

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He came out early so he’s young. Did’nt want him that draft and don’t want him now. But like you said he better then someone not playing
I didn't want him then, I don't want him now. And I'm not at all convinced he's an improvement over the ghost of Jae Crowder. I'm not even sure he's an improvement over Shamet but if we had to trade for him, that would be the player I'd send to Chicago.

If we are getting him as a "young player"as part of a trade that also nets us a first round pick, I'd be okay with it. Not thrilled but okay. White has some talent, I just don't know that you can win with him playing real minutes.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coby White for Jae Crowder? I hope we get a pick or something extra. Seems like a bad move if it's straight up because White is headed to RFA and we don't need a shoot first combo guard who hasn't shown much NBA level skill.

"That's love"

Pretty funny that White was viewed as an easy top 10 pick and Cam Johnson was supposedly a huge reach at 11. Johnson is a legit impact player, his return has been huge for us. Meanwhile Coby White is virtually worthless in a trade.

But... we desperately need another ball handler. Maybe a change of scenery will do him good, maybe Chris Paul can help him grow. My expectations would be low though because... he kinda stinks.

If we do this trade, I would take it as a sign that Cam Payne's season is probably over... I just don't see why we'd bring in a guard who is so obviously inferior to Payne if we expect Payne to return.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Meh. If this is the only type of deal the Suns can get at least that settels Crowder’s worth on the market.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is likely the best deal we are going to get. Unfortunately, it's with the Bucks who the Suns would have to face if they got there. The other thing to note? They are saying the Bucks are the ONLY TEAM the Suns have given permission to speak to Crowder. The Bucks most current offer is Jordan Nwora, Serge Ibaka, George Hill, 2nd round draft compensations… for Crowder. If that is what is being offered? The Suns may have to jump on this since appears no other offers have materialized.

Nwora (SF) - 6.1 Pts/3.2 Reb/1 assist/40% 3PT
Ibaka (PF) - 4.1 Pts/2.8 Reb
Hill (PG) - 5.1 Pts/2 Reb/2.6 Assists
2nd Round Pick

Nwora is the only one getting minutes and is 24. George Hill is a throw in at 36 and Ibaka is no spring chicken at 33 but is a bigger body. Look it's not great but maybe we can parlay the assets into something else. It doesn't appear anybody else is serious about getting Jae. Shams also said, "The Suns and Bucks have also attempted to include other teams in trades to get a deal done". That is the best-case scenario verses the package above, but 3 team deals are hard. The Suns might have to settle if they want to move Jae.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is likely the best deal we are going to get. Unfortunately, it's with the Bucks who the Suns would have to face if they got there. The other thing to note? They are saying the Bucks are the ONLY TEAM the Suns have given permission to speak to Crowder. The Bucks most current offer is Jordan Nwora, Serge Ibaka, George Hill, 2nd round draft compensations… for Crowder. If that is what is being offered? The Suns may have to jump on this since appears no other offers have materialized.

Nwora (SF) - 6.1 Pts/3.2 Reb/1 assist/40% 3PT
Ibaka (PF) - 4.1 Pts/2.8 Reb
Hill (PG) - 5.1 Pts/2 Reb/2.6 Assists
2nd Round Pick

Nwora is the only one getting minutes and is 24. George Hill is a throw in at 36 and Ibaka is no spring chicken at 33 but is a bigger body. Look it's not great but maybe we can parlay the assets into something else. It doesn't appear anybody else is serious about getting Jae. Shams also said, "The Suns and Bucks have also attempted to include other teams in trades to get a deal done". That is the best-case scenario verses the package above, but 3 team deals are hard. The Suns might have to settle if they want to move Jae.

If that's the best we can get, I'd just stand pat and let his contract expire. Unless there's more to Nwora than I've seen, the best value from that garbage coming back to us is the second round pick(s). And I think second round picks are almost useless. Five years ago, that deal would be a steal for us, now with Hill and Ibaka ready for the old age home, it's just a joke.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the best we can get, I'd just stand pat and let his contract expire. Unless there's more to Nwora than I've seen, the best value from that garbage coming back to us is the second round pick(s). And I think second round picks are almost useless. Five years ago, that deal would be a steal for us, now with Hill and Ibaka ready for the old age home, it's just a joke.
Something is better than nothing. Maybe the Suns can do something with expiring contracts. Not sure what is left on those 3. Again, best case scenario is they can get a 3rd team involved but there appears to be not much of a market for Jae.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something is better than nothing. Maybe the Suns can do something with expiring contracts. Not sure what is left on those 3. Again, best case scenario is they can get a 3rd team involved but there appears to be not much of a market for Jae.
Not if the trade is to a real contender. Okay, I know our chances of facing a real contender in the postseason are quite slim but still, I wouldn't send him to Milwaukee or Boston for no value beyond second round picks. And IMO the players supposedly coming back have a net negative value. So, again, I think just letting his contract expire hurts us less than this deal.

We'd probably make out better just by releasing him before the deadline. He'd likely get picked up long before Boston and Milwaukee had a chance and we could spin it for PR without absorbing garbage back. I'd prefer finding a team with cap space willing to give us a pick but if that market doesn't exist for him, nothing is better than a negative something.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if the trade is to a real contender. Okay, I know our chances of facing a real contender in the postseason are quite slim but still, I wouldn't send him to Milwaukee or Boston for no value beyond second round picks. And IMO, the players supposedly coming back have a net negative value. So, again, I think just letting his contract expire hurts us less than this deal.
Nothing is still nothing. Even if there is a chance you could move those players or that pick that is still a net positive. If you let Crowder walk there is no chance of getting anything.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing is still nothing. Even if there is a chance you could move those players or that pick that is still a net positive. If you let Crowder walk there is no chance of getting anything.
When has taking someone else's garbage ever worked for us?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When has taking someone else's garbage ever worked for us?
I am sure I could comb over the years to come up with scenarios the Suns moved assets with similar players and a 2nd. Again, not saying it would happen, but a chance is a chance. Letting Jae walk doesn't have any. That would be a dumb move.

According to Shams Charania the Suns have interest in O.G. Anunoby. I don't know how that works but I like it.

This is why I am saying a 3 team deal is the best scenario. If the Suns could pull off this 3 way? That would be great but Anunby is a SF not a PF. If they do this, sounds like they are committing to Cam J at PF unfortunately. At this point though I just want whatever value the Suns can muster in return.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Shams Charania the Suns have interest in O.G. Anunoby. I don't know how that works but I like it.

Anunoby hasn't turned out like I thought he was going to but if we could send Milwaukee's offer plus a second rounder of our own to Toronto for O.G. I'd be interested. I don't know if that's enough for Toronto though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure I could comb over the years to come up with scenarios the Suns moved assets with similar players and a 2nd. Again, not saying it would happen, but a chance is a chance. Letting Jae walk doesn't have any. That would be a dumb move.

This is why I am saying a 3 team deal is the best scenario. If the Suns could pull off this 3 way? That would be great but Anunby is a SF not a PF. If they do this, sounds like they are committing to Cam J at PF unfortunately. At this point though I just want whatever value the Suns can muster in return.
And I think simply releasing Crowder as opposed to the two team version of this trade is us playing chess instead of eating our checkers.

But a three team deal, if we can find a taker, is fine by me - even if we have to include our own second round picks. I just see absolutely no value in trading for players that we would almost definitely release if all we are getting are second round picks, and if they are Milwaukee's second rounders, that's even worse. IOW, I agree with your second paragraph.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d rather package Crowder in a bigger deal that Bucks offer is horrible

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anunoby hasn't turned out like I thought he was going to but if we could send Milwaukee's offer plus a second rounder of our own to Toronto for O.G. I'd be interested. I don't know if that's enough for Toronto though.

If I were Toronto, I would want a bundle for O.G. Anunoby. He would give the Suns another forward who can play.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I think simply releasing Crowder as opposed to the two team version of this trade is us playing chess instead of eating our checkers.

But a three team deal, if we can find a taker, is fine by me - even if we have to include our own second round picks. I just see absolutely no value in trading for players that we would almost definitely release if all we are getting are second round picks, and if they are Milwaukee's second rounders, that's even worse. IOW, I agree with your second paragraph.
Yes but we are still playing. If we let Crowder go that like a version of saying "I quit". Again, I would have to look at these guys contracts but between the 2nd rounder and if any of those contracts are expiring? Teams have valued those types of trades when rebuilding in numerous scenarios.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You thought he turned out better or worse? I thought he became exactly what he was supposed to be.

OG is the perfect wing to send Cam back to the bench. Monty can shrink the playoff rotation with some Point Book and all the wings should be happy.

Besides, the chances are more likely than not of one of CP3, Book or Cam dealing with more injuries and missing time. Another legit two-way guy would be huge.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose