$50 million is the magic number

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is absolute horsecrap

We are who we are, we are not a big market team, but we create from within, the opportunity is here … we fight together.

You are in the #11 market in the nation and you are #22 in spending. It's a damn disgrace.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

You are in the #11 market in the nation and you are #22 in spending. It's a damn disgrace.
Nobody carries water with more zest than Torrey. Someone should ask him where San Diego and Denver end up in market size.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I agree, I think they are trying to spin it with lack of attendance making us a small market team because no one is paying to come to games, buying merchandise, concessions, etc.

Put a better product on the field and people will come. When Jerry spent all that money bringing in what turned out to be a WS winning team I am sure attendance was probably at capacity most games but when Kendrick came in and started cutting payroll fans knew team success was no longer the priority.

Kendrick can claim he spend money on Greinke and Bumgardner but he handed them that money on their decline. Plus he gave out one big contract once every handful of years, you can't do that and expect to win when you offset salary by penny pinching the rest of your roster.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would sign the following guys:
C Gary Sanchez
RP Aroldis Chapman
RP Craig Kimbrel
RP Will Smith
RP Brad Hand

All these guys should be less than $10M a year, so combined with the 3 no name guys Hazen signed so far there is your magical $50M. Those 4 RP should solidify the bullpen and Sanchez will provide a back up to Kelly and allow Varsho to catch only in emergency and focus on playing OF.

I don't think ARZ needs a SP as they seem to be auditioning their top pitching prospects to fill rotation after Kelly & Gallen. What will become of Bumgarner and his contract is unknown at this point, he has $37M left on his contract, the easiest thing is to eat $20M in a trade to get some team to bite and see if they will give up a nice prospect in return. Eating $20M saves you $17M in long run so it would seem to make sense, as bad as Bumgarner has been teams may be willing to take him at a discounted rate.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you are getting outspent by the Pirates...

Odd seeing Atlanta and Milwaukee sitting this out but everyone else at the bottom is exactly who you would think it would be.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad they didn't sign Swanson to that deal. He doesn't move the needle much this year for the Dbacks. I'd rather they stay a little conservative with spending this offseason and battle for a WC spot. Next offseason, they can truly understand the holes to plug with the kids getting more playing time. Madison will be easier to move then too with only a $14 million salary for 2024. You can spend money on extending Gallen and Kelly and contining to rebuild the bullpen. 2023 will be fun, but this team will be a legit contender in 2024.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose