Ayton is making me a believer

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton muffed his first four touches, looking back on my game posts.
Yeah it wasn't a stellar performance by far but he also looked rattled by the refs.

I am a guy who has been beating the Ayton drum since day 1 and last night was a tough environment to play in.

In the 3rd we had 7 players with 3 fouls. That's nuts
That’s because we were playing stupid D and reaching a ton.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah it wasn't a stellar performance by far but he also looked rattled by the refs.

I am a guy who has been beating the Ayton drum since day 1 and last night was a tough environment to play in.

Dude he was absolutely terrible. If he can still get that shook in season 5 he’s got the mental stamina of a rookie still.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

The rockets guys just throw their bodies around and the refs were falling for it and calling every contact a foul. Has to feel damn near impossible to defend when the refs are calling that stuff.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rockets guys just throw their bodies around and the refs were falling for it and calling every contact a foul. Has to feel damn near impossible to defend when the refs are calling that stuff.
I watched the same game as you with two other people and every one of us kept shaking our head at how stupid and lazy the Suns fouls were.

The excuses made for Ayton in a game where he came out sleepwalking from the jump is comical.

And the idea that there’s somehow a conspiracy against the Suns is from the refs is ludicrous.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Hope you guys were holding hands while jumping off the bridge

25/10/3 in 25 min. He’s showing us something different.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good bounce back game for DA, not letting an awful game become a string of them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good bounce back game for DA, not letting an awful game become a string of them.
Yup. Great answer from Ayton today. Normally we would’ve seen him resettle into a string of 16/9 games.

Now, he’s had rest, need him to bring it against Dallas manana.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't get twisted on one game
But we should go overboard after 4? How about Ayton, the number 1 pick in a loaded draft, actually plays at a high level for… GASP… 10 games before people declare he’s arrived… in year FIVE of his career.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But we should go overboard after 4? How about Ayton, the number 1 pick in a loaded draft, actually plays at a high level for… GASP… 10 games before people declare he’s arrived… in year FIVE of his career.

I am going to go with another month and it will tell me all about Jan 15th

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going back and looking at that draft, who would you trade DA for in that draft right now outside of Luka?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Going back and looking at that draft, who would you trade DA for in that draft right now outside of Luka?
Fair question. For our roster composition, no one else TBH. And even Luka would be a terrible fit as he has no interest in playing defense and would negate much of what CP3 and Book do; whereas, Monty emphasizes putting at least some effort on that side of the court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trae Young, Shai and Jalen Brunson might get some votes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, and it didn't register until after I posted my response. I tried to get my deletion in before my post confused the issue but I was too slow.

Yeah, I'm not getting out on the fast break like I used to either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikal Bridges
Yeah I thought about that too but I don't think the league allows you to trade for players already on your roster.:) But if they did, would we be better off with two Mikal Bridges and no DA? I'm not so sure. Although I suspect we could then trade one of them for more than we could get for Ayton so it might be the way to go.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are a number of players in that draft that looked good to start with but are fading--like Trae. The only player I would trade him for would be Luka. And if I knew the future at draft time, it would be the same. Mind you that knowledge would include all parts of the game including defense, rebounding, and team chemistry.

And I am frustrated with DA. Its just that the rest of that draft has produced good but not really great players outside of Luka and DA. Trae is too one dimensional IM). He is a good player, but he has significant flaws.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a number of players in that draft that looked good to start with but are fading--like Trae. The only player I would trade him for would be Luka. And if I knew the future at draft time, it would be the same. Mind you that knowledge would include all parts of the game including defense, rebounding, and team chemistry.

And I am frustrated with DA. Its just that the rest of that draft has produced good but not really great players outside of Luka and DA. Trae is too one dimensional IM). He is a good player, but he has significant flaws.
If I could go back in time, I'd trade the first pick for a boatload of unprotected picks. Unless I was Sarver, in which case I'd draft the cashcow.

Luka is incredible but the game is played on both ends and he mails it in on defense far too often. Add to that his ridiculous usage rate and I'm just not convinced you can build a championship team around a player like Doncic unless he's historically efficient. I'm convinced you can't build a championship team around DA either but unlike with Luka, I can see Ayton being content and successful as a number 2 or 3.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could go back in time, I'd trade the first pick for a boatload of unprotected picks. Unless I was Sarver, in which case I'd draft the cashcow.

Luka is incredible but the game is played on both ends and he mails it in on defense far too often. Add to that his ridiculous usage rate and I'm just not convinced you can build a championship team around a player like Doncic unless he's historically efficient. I'm convinced you can't build a championship team around DA either but unlike with Luka, I can see Ayton being content and successful as a number 2 or 3.

I'm thinking if the Suns had drafted Luka, he could still fetch a boatload of unprotected draft picks, so I don't think the Suns could have gone wrong drafting him.

There is still a slight possibility Ayton might become the best player out of the 2018 draft.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

That's basically what the Hawks did, traded the right to pick Luka for two first round picks (Trae Young and Cam Reddish). I'm sure Dallas could trade him for a lot more than that now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose